Can You Identify This Swan Leverless And Help Me Choose A New Ink Sac Size?

BenAdamson

I've been doing some research on this pen I have inherited (my image here) and have found two similar listings - here and here. The first one looks most similar as the second has a different cap. Could you guys definitively ID this pen? It was a family wedding present in 1941, but may be older. How rare/valuable do you think it is? Are there any old advertisements showing this pen?

I've heard conflicting advice on which size ink sac to use could I get a definitive opinion on this?

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• BenAdamson

• Cob

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The second listing you show has some type of cap alteration. The listing accurately describes this as well.

It is a Mabie Todd Swan L275/60

L for leverless, 275 for pattern, and 60 for black barrel

This is one of the most sought after patterns on Swan Leverless pens.

It appears to be a excellent condition.

Ebay price restored is easily $500-$600, but I have seen them go up to $1000 if restored, from a known dealer, with lots of pictures showing a lack of flaws.

Sac size actually depends on your ability to restore it. It will take a 17 or 18, but you put the sac on the section without the nib and feed. Use a chopstick to seat the sac into the barrel so it is somewhat impressed upon by the entangling bar, and then place the nib and feed. The goal is to get the biggest sac in that you can to allow for the entangling bar to get the best grip it can. For the value of this pen, just buy a couple of different sized sacs and see what fits best.

I have never even seen one of these for sale, at least on ebay; I should think they are very rarae indeed.

In fact I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't know that Leverless pens were made in this pattern - I thought that only self-fillers were made in this style - in the USA. I presume this one was made in England? I was unable to read the inscription. Leverless pens were not made in the USA as far as I know.

You will need to replace the broken feed, but these are easily found.

My compliments on a splendid Swan.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

The second listing you show has some type of cap alteration. The listing accurately describes this as well.

It is a Mabie Todd Swan L275/60

L for leverless, 275 for pattern, and 60 for black barrel

This is one of the most sought after patterns on Swan Leverless pens.

It appears to be a excellent condition.

Ebay price restored is easily $500-$600, but I have seen them go up to $1000 if restored, from a known dealer, with lots of pictures showing a lack of flaws.

Sac size actually depends on your ability to restore it. It will take a 17 or 18, but you put the sac on the section without the nib and feed. Use a chopstick to seat the sac into the barrel so it is somewhat impressed upon by the entangling bar, and then place the nib and feed. The goal is to get the biggest sac in that you can to allow for the entangling bar to get the best grip it can. For the value of this pen, just buy a couple of different sized sacs and see what fits best.

Thank you for the information! I must have somehow missed that bit about the custom cap when I read the details on my link :)

I've ordered one of these kits - wish me luck! So far I've polished and disassembled the pen to get it to the point it is in the photo in my original post. I'm not intending to sell it, it's a family piece after all. This is my first pen restore and I'm really excited to get it in full writing condition soon! This pen is almost four times my age :D

I have never even seen one of these for sale, at least on ebay; I should think they are very rarae indeed.

In fact I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't know that Leverless pens were made in this pattern - I thought that only self-fillers were made in this style - in the USA. I presume this one was made in England? I was unable to read the inscription. Leverless pens were not made in the USA as far as I know.

You will need to replace the broken feed, but these are easily found.

My compliments on a splendid Swan.

Cob

Thank you! I'm pretty sure this was indeed made in the UK - the nib certainly was.

Cob,

Glad we can still show you new things on this forum!

The pen is imprinted "Made in England".

I am on my second one - upgraded condition, but engraved with initials. I like pens with some personality....

Ben -

As for the restoration, this is slightly trickier than a standard one. Contact us when you are ready. It is not difficult, but you have to be sure the sac is well-seated or the pen won't fill much. I like your style of ordering everything you need. The right sac will be the smallest one that will NOT slide in easily on its own (other pens, the should slide in easily... This style is different)The fact that you do this restoration yourself will add to the family history of the pen. Since this is a family piece, don't replace the feed! It will be perfectly functional with the chip off the side.

*******It is a must that you have the barrel threads warm when you replace the section****** A hairdryer will work, and you test the temperature with your lips. You want it slightly hot, but not scalding. This will do a lot to keep you from cracking the threads when you replace the section.