Please Suggest Me Parker Models To Collect

fpenluver

I would look at parker 75 and 180.

Both came in a wide variety of finishes and both are great writers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• cabbie

• AL01

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, for the P75. Personally, i don't like slimmer pens like the 180 is. Great writers both these pens, however, are.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

a fascinating insight into what makes folk tick, and real candour as to how many of one model some people need to possess - I'm staggered Khan that you have so many 45s.:-) I have a miserly 23 individuals. But is this because I'm missing the point and in fact your 300 pens are all different, or is this an example of collectomania i.e. with some models we can't pass by on the other side of the street - if we see a pen about which we're passionate, we have to keep buying them - for example flighter 45s. I do know that there's a great diversity of liveries for the 45.

You'll need plenty of counter display space for your pens - nothing will be on-line - you might need some advertising in newspapers - and most importantly you'll need to employ hordes of travelling salespersons - in the '40s they would have been men - but you will need to be cautious of falling foul of the sex discrimination act, and must make sure your job descriptions are gender neutral.:-)

Edited by PaulS

I would narrow it down to Parker's produced between about 1889 and 1970. Duplicates are perfectly acceptable.

Let me know when you're done.

-Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

The iconic Parker is the Duofold Sr in red. The design, both flat top and streamlined versions, is the most copied pen of all time. That basic design is copied by modern pen manufacturers as well. Next in line is the Parker 51 which is still one of the most sought after pens and paved the way for acceptance of ballpoints with its hooded nib, then the Vacumatics. Of the modern Parkers, I would go for the 75. There are a lot of other Parkers to consider like the Depression (Thrift Time) pens, Royal Challengers, VP, 65 (sorry, I don't like the 61) as well. Then you factor in the English Duofolds, and the early Parkers. The problem is not where to begin, but where to stop.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Lots of nice suggestions. A couple good pens that are overlooked: the 50 Falcon and the Ellipse (not the new version).

This is my personal opinion, but I find that the Parkers that were introduced after the Duofold Internationals and Centennials to be lacking. The reproduction 51 was a bit of a disaster with the barrel's proclivity to breaking. Others just don't do much for me. But there are a lot of interesting pens in the vintage category.

The Falcon is an interesting pen (note that it preceeds the Duofold), but be forewarned, it is really skinny. I find the pen to be hard to grip.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

...and around 500 51s beside hundreds of 75s, 61s and other Parkers. One day I would open a store where there would be nothing for sale but perfectly restored shiny vintage pens mostly Parkers. Can someone tell me how pen stores looked in the 1940s to 1970s? I want myself and my would-be customers to be able to travel back in time when we are in my planned store.

Mitto:

I will be your first customer. You may want to look at inside pictures of The Fountain Pen Hospital, New York and Dromgoole's in Houston for some modern inspiration.

Mohammad Salahuddin Ayubi

I couldnt develop interest in the skinny parker pens including the 180.

On the other hand if I find a gold nibbed Sheaffer slim Targa in good shape along with the original slim Sheaffer squeeze converter, I buy it then and there. I think it has to do something with my liking of the design and shape of the Targa even if it is skinny.

Khan M. Ilyas

I think the Duofold, 75, 51 and the Vacumatic. Be discriminating. Condition is an all-important factor of value and of interest.

Three of those four models I don't like, but a collector of Parker should cultivate an interest in them, and then expand the horizon to include everything else.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

All of the above are worth investingating, some can be a little expensive and are 'top end' models. You may want to think above some more modern Parkers that are not sought after at the moment, especially the models from the 80s and 90s that are less common, such as the 95, the Latitude, 88/rialto, even the Frontier. There are enough unusual finishes in the 45 to make a one make/one model collection interesting.

All depends on your budget.

The P95 and the Parker Arrow would make an interesting collection. Inexpensive as well representing the pre-Sonnet era of 1980s - 1990s.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

...and around 500 51s beside hundreds of 75s, 61s and other Parkers. One day I would open a store where there would be nothing for sale but perfectly restored shiny vintage pens mostly Parkers. Can someone tell me how pen stores looked in the 1940s to 1970s? I want myself and my would-be customers to be able to travel back in time when we are in my planned store.

Like a this:

post-130197-0-93035400-1511288358.jpg

But give it a nice Pakastani twist!!

Use some vintage styled stuff!

it's a wonderful idea.

(butyaowmeapincol.JKJKJKJKJK.Punjabiorigins....)

The 45 was the Parker that first sucked me in. Initially the Flighter ballpoint, mated with a Flighter mechanical pencil from another line - Classic or Insignia - I have both. Prior to the 45 Flighter it was a Jotter Flighter bp. But when I saw the Flighter 45 fountain pen, I had to have one. I currently have two Flighter's and a matching bp/mp, plus a desk set (those can have a wide variety of bases. Mine has a wooden base with a lid that is hinged. Plus three or four others.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Like a this:

attachicon.gifvintage-photo_orig.jpg

But give it a nice Pakastani twist!!

Use some vintage styled stuff!

it's a wonderful idea.

(butyaowmeapincol.JKJKJKJKJK.Punjabiorigins....)

Yes, being in Pakistan I would definitely give it a 'Desi Paki' touch. Thank you for the pic.

Khan M. Ilyas

Mitto:

I will be your first customer. You may want to look at inside pictures of The Fountain Pen Hospital, New York and Dromgoole's in Houston for some modern inspiration.

I wouldn't be selling online. You would have to come to Pakistan and pay a visit to my store to be able to buy. Welcome home, Ayubi Sahib. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

PLEASE let me know when that store is scheduled to open! I doubt I could drop many rupees but I would love to see all those pens laid out in the old glass cases before the doors open to the customers. That would be a grand site, and what better reason to see your part of the world.

Oh yeah, back to the topic.

The Vectors are really cool.

They are skinny, but (UK production) they feel very sturdy and write like a really stiff 45.

(I think they are more durable than 45s.... But I am a little scared when it comes to polystyrene pens.)