Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• cabbie

• AL01

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What Gary said. :D

Also, don't dismiss Parker 45s (which are still fairly affordable), and 61s (especially the capillary filler models, if you like do write a lot); 61 capillary fillers have the simplest -- and one of the coolest -- fill systems going, but you have to make sure the ink isn't super saturated and they're a bit of a PITA to flush out. I flushed my first one just enough to re constitute the ink in it, wrote it "dry" and then repeated the process until the diluted ink was too pale to be legible; that took me about four MONTHS....

I'm also a complete and utter suckers for older Parker Vectors because they come in some many different colors and designs -- I even have a four nib unit calligraphy set. They're little workhorses, but they might be a bit too slim if you have big hands, so I probably wouldn't be wanting to write the Great American Novel with one, even with my smallish girly hands. I'd be more likely to be using a 51 Aerometric; a medium sized Vac (Major or Junior, depending on when the pen is from -- I absolutely REFUSE to go the Pokemon "gotta get 'em all" mentality of getting every size in every model and every color of Vacs because "that way lies madness"™); or one of my 61s. Perfect size for my hand, and all three models I consider to be phenomenal writers.

Oh and another advantage of looking into collecting Vacs? *I've* pretty much got all the colors of them I want so I won't likely be competition for you.... ;) This is also known as "Get all the Vac Golden Webs you want...." :sick: I know that people go all weak in the knees for that color celluloid, but I'll put my Red Shadow Wave Junior up against a mint Golden Web any day of the week in the looks department. :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would add Parkettes, Challengers and Televisors to the list. The Victory (including the Danish Popular, if you insist) is another interesting sub set.

Vectors are real fun to collect particularly if you enjoy advertising pens, as they come up quite often in corporate colours. Nice low-cost amusement particularly should you fancy having fun with nib grinds. Watch out for barrel cracking though, they seem to be prone to it.

You might enjoy modern custom Parker 51s as well as originals. From the less expensive Kullock 'fantasy' versions to Bexley (I have a lovely Bexley ebonite ripple 51), Prather, Torelli at the top end there are a lot of modern 51s out there. (Mind you, the latter pair would not just break your budget, they would tread it under heel till it was powder....) Great thing with P51s is they are numerous, well understood and easy to get spares for, and you have a huge variety of colours and models.

A slimmer pen with many variants in metal, the Parker 75 is a delightful pen. You really have to like lacquer and plated metal if you're going to collect 75s though. They hover about the top of your budget range - you need to find the right ebay auctions or be go antique-safari-hunting to nab them at the right price.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

British Duofolds from the '50s and '60s.

Beautiful pens with a wide and largely undocumented assortment of lush and juicy nibs which are usually in perfect working condition and in my view still criminally undervalued. In the UK at least there are lots around, sometimes even new old stock complete with chalkmarks and prices on their barrels!

Given the small number of models and smaller range of colours, it is also a practicable proposition to complete the set.

John

Edited by encremental

A worthy pen for collecting is whatever appeals to you and you can afford. That said, I am particularly fond of 51's. They were popular and made for a long time (hence, still readily available), and in a multitude of barrel colors and cap configurations. Vacumatic versions usually have to have the filling system repaired unless already restored, but aerometric versions often need only a simple flush to start writing again. Many can be found below your budget number. They tend to have very firm nibs, but are very nice writers when properly adjusted.

Just because every other Parker has been mentioned except this poor lot, I'll throw the 21 into the ring. I know some had a reputation for cracking, but if they made it this far...My Parker 21 Super writes as well as my 51. It might be a faster collection to round out since there were not a many options, but there are the "challenge" colors made from the 41 barrels.

Whatever you decide, just have fun! I envy you your quest.

Below $100 per pen will be mostly modern pens

• Vector
  • Classic
  • IM

For the vintage below $100, without restoration (which will add to the cost and could push them over your $100).

Most of these pens restored would be over $100.

• Duofold Jr
  • Vacumatic
  • Striped duofold
  • Challenger
  • etc.

If you want to collect multiples of a model, you will want to stick to the lower cost models (Vector, 21, 25, 45, IM), as pens like the Vac while affordable for 1 or 2 common models (unrestored), will be expensive when you get beyond about 6 pens (unrestored), and EXPENSIVE if they are restored.

For ANY of the pens, an uncommon model could be EXPENSIVE for just that one pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

And, since we're adding to the list, I'll one of my newly discovered (and favorite) pens - Parker VS. They only made them for a couple of years, and have been described as the feel of a 51 with an open nib. Not overly expensive, either.

Whatever appeals to you combined with what you can afford. :)

If you like modern fountain pens that use cartridges or converters, then you might not like Parker 51 pens because most of those are older pens, that come as either aerometric fillers containing sacs or vacumatic filling pens that contain a fixed sac inside the barrel. -_-

If you like thinner or more affordable pens, that take cartridges or converters, you might like the Parker 45. They also have an added advantage that they come apart for easy cleaning as the nib unit unscrews. :)

I recommend that you try one that you like the look of first, then if you don't like it, sell it and try something else.

I would recommend that you don't treat any pens as a collectable commodity that will increase in value and make a profit later. :wacko:

Whatever appeals to you combined with what you can afford. :)

I would recommend that you don't treat any pens as a collectable commodity that will increase in value and make a profit later. :wacko:

+1

A collection is for your own satisfaction, not to invest in for financial growth.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'd like to recommend the Parker 51 also. Since I resurrected my Dad's 51 from the closet, I have added a few more. 2 were restored by the sellers & I partially restored one myself.

Along w/ the 51's, I'm hung-up on English Duofolds from the 40's & 50's. I've had good luck dealing w/ shops in the UK....

Edited by Penntellr

Do your research first then make your decision on what you like. If you are like the rest of us you will buy them all and fall down the rabbit hole.

• 7 months later...

I prefer the 45s:

1-Don't have to worry if the sac or filling system is shot.

2-Large variety of colors.

3-Easy to swap nibs (find a banged up cheap one with a gold nib and swap it into your favorite daily writer).

4-Inexpensive.

5-Conversation starting nib design.

6-Fun to write with.

fpn_1543178351__apc_logo_bw_square-02__7

Yes, the 45 is a great yet inexpensive pen. I have around 300 now. All gold nibs. Some with exotic speciality nibs and all were bought in the range of $1.50 to $20 except for the NOS with original boxes, outers, paperwork, converters and packs of five cartridges inside the box.

Khan M. Ilyas

Of course another way to approach your collection would be to say: let's have a basic, black pen from each of the ranges (black being usually the most common and cheapest colour). A Parker 51 vac and a Parker 51 aero, a 45, a 61, a 65 (with a roughly triangular nib, rather a nice pen and hardly collected at all)... You could have a lot of fun!

Mitto - three hundred 45s? I thought I was bad! and I have fewer than twenty... That really is some collection!

Edited by amk

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Mitto - three hundred 45s? I thought I was bad! and I have fewer than twenty... That really is some collection!

...and around 500 51s beside hundreds of 75s, 61s and other Parkers. One day I would open a store where there would be nothing for sale but perfectly restored shiny vintage pens mostly Parkers. Can someone tell me how pen stores looked in the 1940s to 1970s? I want myself and my would-be customers to be able to travel back in time when we are in my planned store.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas