The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Not Loving Ef On 580Al

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 theoddcopy

theoddcopy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 15:57

So I've had my 580AL with an EF nib for a little over a month now and I'm not super loving it. I mean, the look and feel of it in my hand is nice, but I'm not feeling the way it writes too well. I've got a F nib Metropolitan that is amazing and an EF Lamy 2000 that obviously writes thicker but very smooth and is my current favorite as well. I just don't know if I'm enjoying the feedback of the TWSBI. 

But I don't want to throw the baby out- as someone new-ish to fountain pens I know that sometimes a different nib can make for a different pen. I've thought that I really enjoy Fine and Extra Fine nibs but now I'm considering branching out thanks to the ease of swapping a TWSBI nib. 

Only question is: which nib should I go to? Should I go up in size to something like a medium or up in style to the stub? 

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page. 

Sponsored Content

#2 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 16:24

I got the EF on my 580AL to begin with too, but swapped it out with a Bock nib. I wasn't that thrilled with the EF Jowo nib either, and I'm not that fussed with any Jowo nib. It lacked character, was really stiff, and a little on the scratchy side. I replaced it with a 1.1 stub and enjoy it much more.

I've got it inked up so I can give you a writing sample of the 1.1 if you wish.

Edited by Bluey, 03 March 2017 - 16:27.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#3 theoddcopy

theoddcopy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 16:31

I got the EF on my 580AL to begin with too, but swapped it out with a Bock nib. I wasn't that thrilled with the EF Jowo nib either, and I'm not that fussed with any Jowo nib. It lacked character, was really stiff, and a little on the scratchy side. I replaced it with a 1.1 stub and enjoy it much more.

I've got it inked up so I can give you a writing sample of the 1.1 if you wish.

That's the perfect description for what I've been experiencing as well. I write somewhat small most of the time so I've enjoyed other F/EF nibs but have been disappointed with performance of this one. 

I'm really interested in the stub because I've not used one and would like to introduce some diversity to my writing instruments. If you don't mind showing it off I'd appreciate it. And if you'd let me know where you purchased it as well. 

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page. 

#4 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 16:46

I bought it locally so it may be rather pricey for you. You're best off getting it from somehwere like Goulet pens or Andersons Pens.

If you enjoy writing small but still want a really smooth nib, I totally recommend a Sailor medium-fine or below. I've found them to be the most characterful nibs of all.

Attached Images

• 20170303_164323.jpg

Edited by Bluey, 03 March 2017 - 16:54.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#5 theoddcopy

theoddcopy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 16:48

Appreciate the personalized response. I'll give Goulet a check to see what may be available. Thanks for the tip!

#6 Padawan

Padawan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 22:57

1) You can fing in Youtube a TWSBI tutorial how to increase ink flow.

Perhaps it can solve your problems.

2) Try another ink, more "wet" and better lubricating.

#7 Mishka5050

Mishka5050

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:03

I'm not EF person, but got one to complete the collection.

+1 to Padawan

2) Try another ink, more "wet" and better lubricating.

Ink will help. I have De Atramentis Olive ink in my 580AL green and it's super wet... 

#8 theoddcopy

theoddcopy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 17:09

I'm not EF person, but got one to complete the collection.

+1 to Padawan

Ink will help. I have De Atramentis Olive ink in my 580AL green and it's super wet... 

I was actually wanting to get a new ink anyways, looking for a good dark purple color. Know anything about De Atramentis Aubergine? Wondering if it would have the same qualities as the Olive ink you're using. 

#9 Mishka5050

Mishka5050

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:25

I was actually wanting to get a new ink anyways, looking for a good dark purple color. Know anything about De Atramentis Aubergine? Wondering if it would have the same qualities as the Olive ink you're using. 

Aubergine is wet and smooth ink - give it a go :)

#10 MCViewPoint

MCViewPoint

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 21:59

I have a Classic EF that was too fine for my taste. Nibgrinder.com worked it over. Much better.

#11 Witsius

Witsius

I was told there would be cake.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:46

Do you have a loupe? If so, clean the pen, and use the loupe to inpsect the nib slit against some kind of back light.  I find my computer monitor works great for this.  You should see a slight gap between the nib tines.  If there is no gap, or almost no gap, open the tines a bit.   Every TWSBI nib I've had has the nib tines too tightly closed resulting in a dry flow.  Opening up the tines helps a lot, but I'm not a fan of the TWSBI nibs units overall.  I find the feeds stingy, and the Jowo nibs just don't feel good to me.

There is a great article in the nibs and tines forum here on the reference links about how to increase a pen's flow by opening the tines.     

Edited by Witsius, 12 October 2017 - 03:46.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

#12 Mrpink

Mrpink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 20:59

I recommend changing the nib. They are $20 AUD here. I suggest the B or a 1.5mm stub as I didnt have much luck with the other nibs. Both 1.1mm stubs I have were not great at all.

#13 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 21:43

I have no experience with an EF nib on a TWSBI.  My 580-AL has a B nib and I love it.  In some ways I actually prefer it to the B nib on my M400 Stresemann (not to knock that nib at all, mind -- it's just that the nib on the TWSBI is... better).  Of course it might have just been the ink -- so far the TWSBI has only seen De Atramentis Sky Blue in it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#14 prashant.tikekar

prashant.tikekar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:00

I just love my clear 580 with EF nib. It works really well with every ink I tried. But all inks that I have are known to be wet. Waterman Diamine Sailor Pilot iroshizuku have gone well in it. Currently it has Blackstone Barrier reef blue in it and I just love the combination.

Sponsored Content

|