The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Do You Adjust A Nib To Make It Drier?

gusher write drier too wet wet writer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 15:54

I understand how to make a nib write wetter - one way is to scrape out the ink channel in the feed just a bit (I had to do this to my 1st two Kaweco Sports). But how do you make a gusher write drier? Other than using a dry ink, I mean.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 16:33

This may be helpful

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#3 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,203 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 16:54

...and this is one of those times when whatever you see demonstrated, do half of it...whether opening it or closing it, you're far better off making multiple very small adjustments than backtracking.  

Good luck!

Tim

#4 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 23:17

Thanks for the video, Bluey, it was very informative but definitely not something I'd want to try myself. Which is ok, as I was more interested in finding out how it's done than doing it. For now, I'll just try different inks in the pen I'm having a problem with.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 00:41

Thanks for the video.  I like dry pens and this method will help.  I am wondering if it will help with Pelikans, where my monotone EF writes like a M.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#6 fly_us

fly_us

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:27

Don't do anything to the feed if you don't know what you are doing. Never.

Most of the time, adjusting the tines are enough to make the change in ink flow. If it still not enough, re-seat the nib and feed helps.

Just repeat again. Unless you want to flood the paper with ink, don't touch the feed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gusher, write drier, too wet, wet writer

Sponsored Content

|