Ello From The Emerald Isle

Epr969

Hi,

Irish born and raised - I've been using fountain pens since I was in secondary (High) School, mainly old cheap Parker's and Sheaffer's.

Got my first "real" Fountain Pen when I started working, a Cross, Classic I believe, in black with gold trim with an XF nib - wrote for years with that using Mont Blanc Turquoise ink (don't think its available anymore). Recently been using it with Diamine Majestic Purple.

I graduated onto a Cross Townsend Black Lacquer with gold M nib which I got from airline miles when I was travelling a lot for business - lovely pen, very smooth nib. I've always only used Cross cartridges (blue) in it - don't ask me why - been using that for the last 10 years or so.

Recent bought my daughter a TWSBI Eco pen as a present (didn't want to spend too much as wasn't sure she'd like FP) and it seems to have kickstarted something in me - find myself looking at more and more pens online.

I've even uncovered an old Parker 25 (in blue trim) fountain pen that my Aunt had given me for my 21st birthday (a few years ago... ahem) - I think I may have used it only once or twice (as I had the Cross). Seems to be between a F and an M nib. Good rinse out and its writing really well with Diamine Turquoise ink.

Took the plunge there recently and bought an Italix Parson's Essential with standard Fine nib from MrPen.co.uk. Wow, what a great pen, solid and glossy appearance, lovely celtic type gold decoration on the cap, clip is firm but excellent in a shirt pocket, lays down a lovely wet line, thicker than the XF Cross and thinner than the M Cross, probably very slightly thinner than the Parker 25. Love this pen - it makes the XF Cross seem miserly with its lovely wet writing - I am seeing slight feathering while using a MoleSkin Evernote notebook.

That's it for now.

Eric.

PS. Also have a Rotring Core here somewhere too - not enamoured with it - not sure why - only used it with ink cartridges - has a nib marker "XL"

PPS. In secondary (High) school I had a matt black fountain pen - I think it might have been a Sheaffer - body and cap was make of metal - very straight body and cap, all the same diameter. I think the nib/feed unit was made of plastic (with maybe a small silver coloured metal ring??) and I'm nearly sure they was like this metal "needle" coming up out of the nib unit and you dropped a cartridge into the barrel and when you screwed it shut it pierced the cartridge ??? I think it had a silver coloured nib in F on it. Anyone know what model this might have been - loved that pen - lost it somewhere !!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Epr969

• Henricum_Tropen

• Carrau

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Eric, Hello and welcome to FPN.

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Céad míle fáilte, Eric! Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú go maith! Cá bhfuil tú a do gconai in Eirinn? Sorry, I am just showing off a little bit. I studied 5 years of Irish ages ago, but it is still one of my favourite languages ;)

Welcome !

My Dad favored turquoise ink in his Parker 51. Initially, it was Parker, then Montblanc turquoise.

I think Montblanc still makes a turquoise, but renamed it. Certainly, someone else here will know better and more specifically than I.

Glad you are here.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Greetings and a warm welcome !

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

Welcome to our warm nook of the internet, where you can share this beautiful hobby with good and friendly people. Or as we say in low Saxon: Mooi a'j dr bint! (Good you're here.)

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

Hello, Eric, and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. Glad you have joined us. You, having joined us, make us better. This is now your place as much as it is ours. Please don't be shy. Ask all the questions you have and don't hesitate to state your opinions. I hope you enjoy your time here.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Welcome aboard. I'm glad you wrote about the Italix Parsons Essential. I've been looking at the Amber version but haven't decided on the nib yet. The nib choice is between a medium cursive and broad cursive.

Enjoy your time here. But beware! I searched content, found one on desk sets, then just had to have a desk set. The good part is that other posters were very nice and gave advice. One member restored the pen, a Sheaffer snorkel type.

Posted Image

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I'm glad you are here Eric!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I'm living in county Kildare which is west of Dublin city.

The Sheaffer pen I was referring to was more low end than a Targa or Stylist - barrel and cap with flat ends with slight rounding (like they might have been punched from a flat sheet at some point) same diameter barrel and cap, no seam or joins on the cap of barrel - painted or plated matt black - might have had a black clip on it - took one cartridge - so not a long pen.......

Eric.

Sorry for the underlining on the last post !

I may have found an example of the Sheaffer pen I had in school - its not the same color, the one I had was all matt black but this gives you an idea of what I was talking about - I think it might have came new in a plastic box with a red holder section and a clear lid - $10 range pen !!

Thanks.

Eric.

post-135163-0-17690200-1488553486_thumb.jpg

Greetings!

:W2FPN:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Greetings and welcome to FPN. May be yours was a Sheaffer student pen. This nib unit came with the student pens.

Khan M. Ilyas