Sheaffer Intrigue 2000-2004 Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

The Sheaffer Intrigue is a quirky, weird, ... intriguing pen. It has a crazy cartridge / converter "drawer" that you unscrew from the back of the barrel and slide out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling out and twisting this barrel end cap works the converter, but it's not a completely precise linkage and feels cheap. Also, you have no idea how empty or full the converter is without opening the pen and sliding out the drawer. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap risks scratching the barrel end. And presented in a flimsy plastic toy box. Yow!
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueBrightMetal_1280a.jpg
If nothing else, the Intrigue pens are attractive, in patterned painted and interesting plated metal finishes and with 14 karat gold Inlaid nibs. The non-intuitive filling system evidently put off buyers and the pen line was discontinued after the 2004 model year. Lots of them were sold on closeout. The Sheaffer Intrigue Bright Chrome is a very shiny heavy chrome plate and PVD plate two tone pen with a polished stainless steel clip and palladium plated nib.
A very cool, but weird pen. I love mine!
Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• CraigN

• da vinci

• mitto

Jim,

Great photo of a pen that I also found to be very interesting. At least it seemed that way when I read about its features. Then I purchased one with the whale shark finish on an on-line auction for a silly low buy-it-now price. Once I received it, I determined that the interesting filling system wasn't worth the trouble. That aside, I like the appearance of the pen. The pen has perhaps the firmest nib I own and has little to offer (or personality, hard to describe). I used it for one converter of ink before cleaning and retiring it.

Even if I'm not a fan of this pen anymore, I have enjoyed your photos here and on your web site. Thank you for your contributions.

Regards,

Craig

• 5 weeks later...

Nice photo of an interesting pen :)

I can pretty much forgive any pen its foibles when it has one of those great inlaid sheaffer nibs!

• 1 year later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Matte Gold / Matte Black fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 611 with a firm fine point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueMatteGold_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Bright Blue / Matte Blue fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 613 with a firm medium point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueBlue_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Petrol fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and coated with a deep metallic blue laque and chrome plate finish. It uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold palladium plated Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 618 with a firm medium point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntriguePetrol_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Seal fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and coated with a blue grey spotted and satin chrome finish. It uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold palladium plated Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 619 with a firm broad point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueSeal_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

And to hunt for the Seal, the Whale Shark:

http://www.fototime.com/40D49760D1FF770/large.jpg

Edited by jar

My Website

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Silken Bark fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and coated with a black and grey bark pattern and glossy black finish. It uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold palladium plated Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 614 with a firm fine point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueBlack_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

Thought I would add another Whale Shark to the list...

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Whale Shark fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and coated with a blue / grey stenciled pattern and bright chrome plate finish. It uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold palladium plated Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 612 with a firm fine point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueWhaleShark_1280_01a.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Aubergine fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and coated with a purple laque and satin chrome finish. It uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold palladium plated Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 615 with a firm fine point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueAubergine_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks!

This is a throwback photo from 2004 when they were new!

This is a Sheaffer Intrigue Whale Shark fountain pen c. 2000-2004. It's about 5 7/16 inches long capped and coated with a blue / grey stenciled pattern and bright chrome plate finish. It uses a cartridge / converter "drawer" that is unscrewed from the back of the barrel and slides out, revealing a truncated converter with teeth that mesh with teeth in the barrel end cap. Pulling the end cap out and twisting it works the converter, but it's not a precise linkage and feels cheap. Posting the pen, with its angle cut cap, risks scratching the barrel end. It features a version of Sheaffer's 14 karat gold palladium plated Inlaid nib, stamped 14K and 585 with a hallmark over SHEAFFER. This is model 612 with a firm fine point and retailed for $140. A matching ballpoint, pencil and rollerball pen were also made.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferIntrigueWhaleShark_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Definitely a unique pen.....

Thanks for the photos!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 2 months later...

I still have several of the Intrigue FPs, originally purchased for resale from Sheaffer when I operated as "Pen Envy" from around 1997-2002, but now in my personal collection. I admit that for many folks not intrigued by pens, or even for some pen lovers that value simplicity, the 2-knob filling system could be, respectively, intimidating or unnecessarily involved. However, for some pen lovers who are fascinated with new types of filling systems or variants on existing systems, the Intrigue's system is a different and interesting variant. Once you get used to it, filling the pen is easy. But I still need to consult the instructions if filling one of them after a long interlude. Yes, the nibs are very firm, but the pen is a good writer overall, and the exterior designs are very contemporary-looking.