Bexlevy - Howard Levy's Bexley Sales On Ebay

Precise

Over the past few years, Howard Levy has sold a lot of pens on ebay, with new listings daily. Prices were under $100. His photos were atrocious, I suspected he did that deliberately to avoid complaints from his retailers - who he was underselling.

I bought quite a few from him and think they were of excellent quality and superb value.

Now, he has suddenly vanished from ebay. I miss him and wonder why he vanished.

Alan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Precise

• zaddick

• Ayami_109

• SpecTP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His photos were atrocious...

Amen to that. I sometimes had to email him to find out the material of a pen. Maybe he was hiding in a closet taking the photos so the retailers would not see? :P

Perhaps he is between runs of pen models? Maye 2 years ago it as Magnum city. Now more of the Prometheus and flat top styles. Perhaps some other shape is coming back. The Grand Mariner? (This is purely specualtion based on past popular models.)

Supposedly the pens for sale were "experimental" and not available through regular retail channels. I say supposedly because I don't think that is the case for most of the pens, though maybe some of the more unusal materials were just to polish off some rod stock.

Anyhow, I hope he starts up again and finds some old celluloids.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Amen to that. I sometimes had to email him to find out the material of a pen. Maybe he was hiding in a closet taking the photos so the retailers would not see? :P

Perhaps he is between runs of pen models? Maye 2 years ago it as Magnum city. Now more of the Prometheus and flat top styles. Perhaps some other shape is coming back. The Grand Mariner? (This is purely specualtion based on past popular models.)

Supposedly the pens for sale were "experimental" and not available through regular retail channels. I say supposedly because I don't think that is the case for most of the pens, though maybe some of the more unusal materials were just to polish off some rod stock.

Anyhow, I hope he starts up again and finds some old celluloids.

+1 on hoping he is between runs or even coming out with something new

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

To the best of my knowledge, some listings which still had a few weeks to run were terminated.

I don't think it's just between runs. I would guess his sales bothered his retailers, or he has some personal issue.

Hopefully he comes back again, those pens were great value. Not sure why the retailers would be bothered though, the model of pens he offered weren't production ones and usually used different acrylics.

Maybe he just had a personal collection of prototypes laying around and decided to sell them off?

I know I've got a bunch of half finished and experimental pens in a box that I could quite easily finish off and liquidate.

Edited by Jamesbeat

I saw Howard at the Baltimore show yesterday. He was at his table, alive, well, and selling pens. Friendly as ever, too. He's a great guy.

It looks like he is back at it. I just saw a bunch of listings on eBay.

Good stuff.

Good looking Prometheus. Resin or hard rubber body and cap?

Good looking Prometheus. Resin or hard rubber body and cap?

It's the 'new style prometheus' in cardinal orange acrylic with gold trims.

• 2 months later...

I saw some of his newer listing but I wish Howard would resume some of his older models, even in acrylic I would love to be able to purchase an americana, or an america the beautiful in some new colour, a submariner grande or any piston filler (it is a pity he has produced far too few of those), corona's cannot be found even on the bay... even some of his ebonite are fantastic but very difficult to find around at reaonable pricing.

...and what about the 58!

Edited by sansenri

• 11 months later...

I agree with the photos being really bad...and they're still bad. But at least sometimes he puts up interesting pens. There was a nice magenta one a month or so ago. Apparently an extra from a customer's custom order.

Yeah, that's him. Do wish he'd at least include a horrible shot of the cap off in all of his listings.

edit: I see now one of the current lot has a cap off.

Edited by NinthSphere

At first I thought it was just a random dude selling Bexley pens secondhand because I couldn't get past the office paper background. But nope, it's the real deal and the pens are new. If he ever puts up a long gone Jitterbug, I might just pounce. Edited by Ayami_109

• 1 month later...

I've bought many (make that toooooo many) Prometheus. I love the fat body and fat section for cramp-free writing. Every one has been perfect.

I've written on other posts that I have some high-end pens that are fussy, but my Bexley and Delta work every time, and they work very well too.

Alan

I bought a Poseidon Magnum about a year ago. Love the pen. I’ve noticed that all the ones he’s selling are cartridge converters, but I seem to see fancier filling systems in the higher priced ones around eBay. Maybe that’s how they’re deciding the retail vs direct sales...certainly would justify the lower price. I go to Columbus often, I really should try to see if they’ve got a show room one of these times.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

I have both Poseidon piston and converter (which of course is a removable piston). I can't see any justification for the piston's higher price and functional shortfall, which is that I can't tell how much ink remains in the pen.

Alan

Are these JOWO, Bock, or Schmidt nibbed? What size are the nibs, #6 or #8?

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde