Jinhao 911 - Review

KingRoach

Thank you for the update! I'd imagine the Thyer would be just as welcoming to scratches? -_-

Yes, that's the one I'm using. The section, barrel, and cap and identical to the regular 911.

I just posted an informal review of the Thyer edition here.

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• antichresis

• KingRoach

• richardandtracy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fountain pen Jinhao 911 has arrived yesterday. It fulfills expectations.

It looks identical as a HERO 100. Differences are insignificant.

The fountain pen Jinhao 911 has arrived yesterday. It fulfills expectations.

It looks identical as a HERO 100. Differences are insignificant.

I didn't want to hijack this thread, but I added some comparison photos of the Jinhao 911 and Hero 100 to my review over here.

The biggest differences would be the price (Hero costs over ten times as much as the Jinhao, at least where I am) and that the Jinhao 911 has a cartridge/converter filling system instead of the irremovable squeeze filler system on the Hero 100. The Hero is also a little thicker and heftier feeling in the hand.

• 1 month later...
Some comparison photos of the Jinhao 911 and Hero 338 .

They are very similar, except the Grip section, which is thicker in Hero 338 and different Ink refill systems, in Hero 338 is the aerometric fill system and in Jinhao 911 is an Cartridge Converter / Cartridge system .

post-134601-0-01738500-1498471600_thumb.jpg

post-134601-0-73344400-1498471611_thumb.jpg

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I was searching for Hero 100 but found 911 instead. I ordered two. I like their price :D, the converter & both write really well.

• 2 months later...

After some time, the ink gets darker and eventually dries up in the pen. All of the Jinhaos I have behave like this. But if you are an avid writer and use ink up in a day or two, this wouldnt be a problem at all. Might I add that this isn't the easiest pen to clean up.

In all fairness, at this price, it is a decent writer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

a little video review of the Jinhao 911 could be found here:

Thank you for watching and sharing.

MontPelikan

• 4 months later...

According to one eBay seller, "With this fountain pen in your hand, colleagues and clients will know you by your taste for sophistication, high-precision and effortless elegance."

What more could you want?

According to one eBay seller, "With this fountain pen in your hand, colleagues and clients will know you by your taste for sophistication, high-precision and effortless elegance."

What more could you want?

Haha at least the grammar was correct. It is a simple yet classy design.

These don't write well out of the box unfortunately. I haven't modified the nib on mine yet but is very dry/non-writing for now. Also not that interested since the pen body is so narrow.

Mine needed the manufacturing oils to be removed from the c/c before it worked properly. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that it's actually a pretty good pen on a purely objective scale. On a scale that takes its price into account, it is stunning.

Regards

Richard.

This is my first hooded nibbed pen and I was excited to get it, but I was just wondering if anybody knows how to rotate the nib and feed. I know this issue is just aesthetic, but when I put the nib down on paper, I go by visual cue (the pointy end of the section). Since the nib isn't aligned with it, I have to rotate my pen every time I write.

Anyone know what to do?

How far do you need to rotate it?

If it's just a little, then repeated pressure on the side of the nib may be enought to slip it round. Otherwise, and I'm not sure I really advise this as I've not done it, you may need to pull the nib out with a set of plastic faced pliars/similar and then push the nib back in at the right angle. There is a real risk of damage to the nib when you do this.

Regards

Richard.

If the system is anything like that of the Hero 616, then you'd have to pull the whole feed assembly out the back of the section and then put it back at the correct angle. It's a little tricky with a 616, so it might be even worse with one of these. Proceed at your own risk!

@richardandtracy

It's just a little...but enough to give me pause when I first put the nib down on paper. I'll try your suggestion of just nudging it a bit on the side. 😊

@TruthPil

I probably won't open it up with pliers if I can rotate it with simple nudging. But if that doesn't work, I'm willing to risk it since I got the pen really cheap. 😅

Thanks for the help! 😁

@richardandtracy

It's just a little...but enough to give me pause when I first put the nib down on paper. I'll try your suggestion of just nudging it a bit on the side. 😊

@TruthPil

I probably won't open it up with pliers if I can rotate it with simple nudging. But if that doesn't work, I'm willing to risk it since I got the pen really cheap. 😅

Thanks for the help! 😁

Check out the disassembly pics online for taking apart a Hero 616 and they might help. I think you would just have the hold the threaded part with padded pliers and twist the section off with your hand. You'll also probably have to heat up the section a little with hot water to loosen the sealant that keeps the hood on. I can't stand having misaligned nibs either, so all my 616s got this treatment (although they were all eventually trashed or given away because they were crappy writers anyway).

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Good review which I only discovered after having purchased the pen. Mine works which is all I ask of a pen.

Reverse writing is most impressive - smooth, plenty of ink and even finer line. Great for drawing. 99new pennies.

Great review! I should have consulted FPN before impulse buying a Hero 616 and a Hero 329 because the unremovable aerometric converter is really not my cup of tea, and the nibs dry up every night.

At least giving the nib a jolt will be easier with the screw converter.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

• 4 months later...

Got it some time ago (metal threaded version) and yesterday I filled it for the first time. I'm not that enthusiastic about the metal finish but it seems to be a really good quality for the $1.5 I paid for it.

The next step up from this is definitely the wing sung 601. also a hooded nib, but the fit and finish and quality are leagues above, and it comes with a real parker 51 style vacumatic filler and nice clutch ring for a very secure slip cap.

They're plastic with a metal cap, but the plastic quality is extremely high with a very solid fit and finish,

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)