Jinhao 911 - Review

KingRoach

This model of pen comes in two types ?

One type of pen with plastic thread and a converter that looks cheaper and the type of pen presented by our colleague in this topic ?

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• antichresis

• KingRoach

• richardandtracy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, some online sellers show a side by side comparison of the two versions. The one with metal threads is the newer version.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I only worry if it is any more brittle as someone on FPN commented somewhere that the Jinhao is prone to cracking. I am yet to be able to tell.

An opinion I've read about it on a polish fountain pen forum was that the Jinhao 911 broke after a month of use, and after it was replaced for a new one by the seller, the second one broke even sooner. It's possible someone just got unlucky, but frankly it drove me away from buying this pen.

Hope you won't have such problem.

Edited by WJM

Did the Polish review indicate if those pens were the older or newer version of the pen? The new version seems stronger.

I have 5 jinhao's and one wrote decently, the rest wrote between well and pretty superb.

The x750 I got for $5 had such a glassy smooth, buttery M nib that I put it on my old handmade #6 to replace the rather disappointing knox F, because the x750 was destined for a zebra comic G nib (which a gentle heat set with boiling water made into a damn near perfect wet noodle that is almost impossible to railroad)

the 599 I got (I really don't think it's a lamy knockoff, it's different enough and I bought it for the clear feed and F nib) writes exceptionally well.

the x250 I got wrote decently, but not well enough to prevent me from replacing the nib with a #5 knox EF

The 101 I have has a fude-de-mannen bent nib and writes extremely well

There's one called the "kowba" that has a shrouded nib that is just unbelievably glassy.

I've yet to have a problem with a provided jinhao converter.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Did the Polish review indicate if those pens were the older or newer version of the pen? The new version seems stronger.

I have no idea. Didn't even know that there were two versions.

I don't know if it helps but most likely it was the one on the photos here:

http://firma-aris.pl/produkt/pioro-wieczne-jinhao-911

(a polish dealer of Jinhao pens)

Edited by WJM

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for being a bit late.

The original Jinhao 911 design featured the plastics barrel thread at the back of the section, but a Taobao dealer, who also designed custom pens for their own sales, along with upgrading pens, worked with Jinhao to produce their own upgraded version christened "Thyer". The change to metal was one of the upgrades suggested and also adopted by Jinhao. Other upgrades, I understand, included changes to the ink supply system, a hand-ground nib, and a twist converter with metal ring with higher capacity, which is seen in the OP's pictures. Each Thyer pen bears its name and is individually tested before shipping, which is probably not an exercise Jinhao can afford. Hope this is of some interest.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

The original Jinhao 911 design featured the plastics barrel thread at the back of the section, but a Taobao dealer, who also designed custom pens for their own sales, along with upgrading pens, worked with Jinhao to produce their own upgraded version christened "Thyer". The change to metal was one of the upgrades suggested and also adopted by Jinhao. Other upgrades, I understand, included changes to the ink supply system, a hand-ground nib, and a twist converter with metal ring with higher capacity, which is seen in the OP's pictures. Each Thyer pen bears its name and is individually tested before shipping, which is probably not an exercise Jinhao can afford. Hope this is of some interest.

Extremely useful information! I had noticed some customized jinhaos on taobao and was curious. Can you post a link to the taobao seller you mentioned? Would love to try a spruced up jinhao, especially if they have a smooth EF. Edited by TruthPil

Great, thanks so much! An amazing price too.

Sadly it's only available in 0.5mm.

I saw the new and improved version on aliexpress at a seller at a price of of 7 - 8 $ and the old version at other seller's at a price of between 2 $ and 6 $ .

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

I just ordered the Thyer version and will try to give a writing sample and impressions after it arrives next week.

Like Seele mentioned, the biggest difference between the new and improved 911 and the Thyer version is that the nib is custom ground and tested. According to the information linked above, after the regrinding and smoothing, the nib goes from 0.38 to 0.45mm. Can't wait to try it out!

I just ordered the Thyer version and will try to give a writing sample and impressions after it arrives next week.

Like Seele mentioned, the biggest difference between the new and improved 911 and the Thyer version is that the nib is custom ground and tested. According to the information linked above, after the regrinding and smoothing, the nib goes from 0.38 to 0.45mm. Can't wait to try it out!

I am not one who favours particularly fine nibs; in fact I like M more, and F if M is not available, so the hot-rodded Thyer version could well appeal to those like me.

Edited by Seele

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Ahhhh, do please make a review/comparison when you get it. I'm going to China for work next month and if it's better than the 911 I'll get this instead.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I am not one who favours particularly fine nibs; in fact I like M more, and F if M is not available, so the hot-rodded Thyer version could well appeal to those like me.

I think most people who write with Romanized script would prefer at least an F for daily writing. If the nib is super smooth and the metal construction is solid, then this upgraded version of the 911 might be an excellent EDC pen.

Ahhhh, do please make a review/comparison when you get it. I'm going to China for work next month and if it's better than the 911 I'll get this instead.

Stock up on some Penbbs inks while you are here too! They've got some great colors I am gradually working through reviewing.

Stock up on some Penbbs inks while you are here too! They've got some great colors I am gradually working through reviewing.

I will! Do you have a suggested seller and/or suggested colours?

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

If you have someone who can order on Taobao for you, then you can buy directly from Penbbs seller:

https://shop57097429.taobao.com/search.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-1146885406.1.5N6EIp&search=y&orderType=coefp_desc

Here is the newest line that just came out for this year.

I purchased my sample from this seller and they were great, also free shipping within China if you get 2 or more bottles:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-15989066530.87.ZJWjbZ&id=545743455883

I've only tried 5 or 6 inks so far, but you can check out the color samples on the links above. I really like No. 128 Santorini which is an amazing bright blue.Hopefully I can post my review for it tonight.

If you have someone who can order on Taobao for you, then you can buy directly from Penbbs seller:

https://shop57097429.taobao.com/search.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-1146885406.1.5N6EIp&search=y&orderType=coefp_desc

Here is the newest line that just came out for this year.

I purchased my sample from this seller and they were great, also free shipping within China if you get 2 or more bottles:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-15989066530.87.ZJWjbZ&id=545743455883

I've only tried 5 or 6 inks so far, but you can check out the color samples on the links above. I really like No. 128 Santorini which is an amazing bright blue.Hopefully I can post my review for it tonight.

Thanks, I'm sure someone will be able to help me out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The cap is friction fit. It does not "click" or thread. Just push in, push out, on both sides of the pen. Inside of the cap there are four metal flaps that cause this friction to happen. Mind you, it is rather secure, this is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the possiblity of scratching your pen if you rotate it with the cap on. I am not sure whether the friction flaps have edges that will not scratch either the plastic section (oops, I said plastic), or the very nice brushed metal of the barrel when posted. This is something that we well have to leave for time to tell.

And now only the main part: the section. I said this before. This is plastic. The disappointing type. But is it really disappointing? Look at your price point again. It is nicely shiny, but feels like the type that is prone to cracking or scratching easily, so might just need some care. I noticed some micro scratchings on mine already out of the box, nothing that you will probably notice in everyday use, but I will have to keep an eye on it. There is however a very tiny small little ding near the front.

After using mine minimally for a week (only taking it out of the house once), I can confirm that the metal clutch inside the cap does indeed scratch the plastic of the section. I can already see numerous small abrasions from the clutch flaps touching the section and one scratch so deep I thought it was a tiny crack.

Edited by TruthPil

After using mine minimally for a week (only taking it out of the house once), I can confirm that the metal clutch inside the cap does indeed scratch the plastic of the section. I can already see numerous small abrasions from the clutch flaps touching the section and one scratch so deep I thought it was a tiny crack.

Thank you for the update! I'd imagine the Thyer would be just as welcoming to scratches? -_-