First Montblanc: Meisterstuck 149 (Fountain) Or Meisterstuck Legrand Rollerball

Wolverine

I am in the market for a new pen. I am interested in getting a Montblanc Meisterstuck and have heard good things.

Does anyone here own both a Meisterstuck 149 and a Meisterstuck LeGrand Rollerball? How do they feel when writing? How is the smoothness and effortlessness in writing when comparing the 149 to the LeGrand?

I draw a lot of flow charts and simple diagrams and sometimes have to write out words and have arrows and am looking for something smooth and slick. I am currently using a pen with a Pilot G2 refill and wanted something nicer in both the quality and prestige of the body and effortlessness and slickness in writing.

Has anyone gone into a boutique and was able to write with a demo pen at Montblanc or do they not allow for this sort of thing?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReadyFireAim

• torstar

• dubhe

• Chrissy

Why compare a LeGrand ballpoint to a 149 FP? If you want something at the ballpoint size the 146 or 145 will be closer. If this will be your first fountain pen I strongly recommend against getting something as expensive as a Meisterstück. You will also need bottled ink to use with a 146 or 149. The writing experiences are completely dissimilar for BP vs. FP so I would decide which you want first. A rollerball will give you the most similar experience to your G2.

I like them both, but I really suggest you go to the boutique and try them in hand before you decide. Everyone is a bit different :)

Regards,

Simar

"Be the change you want to see in the world." -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

If drawing, you will find the F or EF Nib size best. I would pick up a secondhand pen and try it for a few months first. You should be able to resell it for around the same money later on.

Why compare a LeGrand ballpoint to a 149 FP? If you want something at the ballpoint size the 146 or 145 will be closer. If this will be your first fountain pen I strongly recommend against getting something as expensive as a Meisterstück. You will also need bottled ink to use with a 146 or 149. The writing experiences are completely dissimilar for BP vs. FP so I would decide which you want first. A rollerball will give you the most similar experience to your G2.

Firstly, the choice was between a 149 and a rollerball not a ball-point. Secondly, if the OP wants a Meisterstuck...why not?

To the OP:

I have owned both and they are both great for their individual purposes. They are very different instruments. You need to ask yourself what you will use them for. You might end up with both.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Firstly, the choice was between a 149 and a rollerball not a ball-point. Secondly, if the OP wants a Meisterstuck...why not?

To the OP:

I have owned both and they are both great for their individual purposes. They are very different instruments. You need to ask yourself what you will use them for. You might end up with both.

You're right, I mis-read.

The reason I recommend against a $900 pen for a first fountain pen is that there are a lot of newbie mistakes that ruin pens. Repairable? Probably, but not for cheap. Better to get the mistakes out of the way on a $10 pen with a steel nib than something almost an order of magnitude more expensive. The OP gave us no other context than "writes a lot". The attempt to compare a rollerball and fountain pen suggests they're not already intimately familiar with fountain pens, and what the relative writing experiences should be like.

I have never been able to use a rollerball. I use a fountain pen every time I need to write something. I bought my first MB 149 more than thirty years ago and have more than five now . I will recommended it very highly.

Yes you can go to a boutique and try them. Maybe some boutiques won't allow you to write with a 149, but they will have a slightly smaller sized 146 demonstrator pen that you can write with.

Trying to compare a Montblanc 149 and a Le Grand rollerball is a bit like comparing chalk with cheese. They aren't similar.

I'd go with a 149 EF. I personally think rollerballs are (mostly) a waste of money.

I have 2 rollerballs & no ballpoints.

One is a Rouge Et Noir in coral & the other is a Boheme called "stripes".

My opinion is that they are "jewelry, pocket pens".

My 146 is a down & dirty, serious writing pen but it isn't going to be going for a ride in my pocket anytime soon.

It's just too darn big for carrying around IMO.

If the 146 is anywhere in public, I need to have a decoy pen also.

Not necessarily true with a jewelry type roller ball.

I think there are good arguments for both.

You should probably be buying 2 pens instead of one.

That is my advice. B)

Edited by ReadyFireAim

If you are going to get a rollerball, you should first settle which kind of rollerball refill floats your boat, and then buy the best pen to fit the refill.

I personally prefer the Schmidt refills which write better than most others....they may not fit the Meisterstuck rollerball which needs a threaded refill.

Honestly, though....I do have a Meisterstuck pen (147) and I hate taking it to business meetings because:

1) It is a pretty dowdy looking pen (the styling is very yesteryear)

2) It conjures up a certain negative connotation in some people's minds (and more so than people who have a positive image of it)

3) You will have a handful of people wondering if it's real or counterfit (the same baggage you get when you wear a Rolex)

4) There are so many nicer rollerball pens out there....

I actually have several rollerballs that I use for customer and business calls- A Montblanc Slimline (brushed chrome), Parker 75 Cisele, Parker Sonnet, and a Xezo. I am actually having one of my Parker 75 rollerballs modified to accept the Schmidt refill.

..snip...

I draw a lot of flow charts and simple diagrams and sometimes have to write out words and have arrows and am looking for something smooth and slick. I am currently using a pen with a Pilot G2 refill and wanted something nicer in both the quality and prestige of the body and effortlessness and slickness in writing.

Going from your current pen to a fountain pen could prove tricky, if ink drying times play a part in your work.

If you need to do fast sketches/diagrams/notes etc. can you let them dry before turning the page?

I use fountain pens for almost everything. But there are often situations (eg working on the move) where it's not appropriate to use wet ink from a precious pen. I also have a pilot (similar to yours) for such occasions.

So, your first choice is ink or gel*.

Then, choose your weapon.

If fountain pen, I'd go 146, rather than 149. It'll do all you need, with quality. As would a 149, but it's almost an oversized pen.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a rollerball, so I'd just stick with the Pilot. Maybe upgrade it a bit.

Welcome to FPN

*or whatever we call the inky stuff that goes in refills, now?

Edited by CS388

149 FP for sure for your first purchase.

Several other rollerballs will do the job for a real fraction of the price, get the FP and decent rollerballs as well.

Edited by torstar

Here is a quick photo of the two side by side :)

I use both for different purposes - the RB I use outside the office in my a5 organiser (if you feel the MB star will rub your audience up the wrong way, keep the cap in your pocket as I tend to do)

The 149 and my other fountain pens I tend to only use at my desk at work/home, as i have ink and the preferred paper at hand

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b558/nbendy1/mb%20rb%20149%202_zps5seevutl.jpg

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b558/nbendy1/mb%20rb%20149%201_zpsdrbhk4rt.jpg

I do a lot of technical diagrams and notes. I found the fine nib a little broad for that, so check out an extra fine nib.

However as I am used to using drawing pens, the extra fine fineliner suited me best. This is currently only available in the M range, but you should check it out if you need a thiner line. It is better in many respects than the Rotring pens I was using.

I also bought a fountain pen: the Heritage 1912, for handwriting.

I'd go with a 149 EF. I personally think rollerballs are (mostly) a waste of money.

Not true. I honestly don't know why you would make a statement like that.

I have both the 149 and a LeGrand Rollerball. I cherish my 149 but the LeGrand Rollerball is no slouch. It is a pleasure to write with and a very nice pen.

I have both the 149 and a LeGrand Rollerball. I cherish my 149 but the LeGrand Rollerball is no slouch. It is a pleasure to write with and a very nice pen.

I agree with this. :)

It was my opinion. Truth is something we can attain to.

My country allows freedom of speech and the right to an opinion (which was FULLY STATED as an opinion.)

You should strive to adopt that kind of a lifestyle... oh wait, if i read 50 random posts on the FPN I will come up with a lot of opinions I bet...

and it isn't worth spending several $100s USD on a rollerball... so there... blah blah blah... I'll let you know when I've come across enough people who actually use a MB rollerball in public to start changing my mind... i think i'm up to 2?? compared to the army of MB fountain pen users...

Edited by torstar

After thinking about this a bit, I'm going to change my answer.

Sort of...

Go for the expensive Montblanc rollerball & pick up a cheap fountain pen like a Nemosine Fission in a fine or extremely fine point.

You can play with it before making up your mind to spend $$$$

The Nemosine is only $30 and isn't bad.

The rollerball will work on almost every paper you have at the office.

It will not need recapped if you're not going to be using it for more than 2 minutes.

You won't have to hold your breath when someone else picks it up.

Ink changes are fast & clean.

It is reliable and writes fantastically.

With the fountain pen you have a thousand color choices as opposed to 2.

The writing looks much cooler.

It is smoother so you won't experience hand fatigue as fast.

You may write faster.

You may want to write more because what was mundane becomes a lot more fun.

Edited by ReadyFireAim