The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Cartridge Esterbrook

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eharriett

eharriett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 19:08

I found this at a flea market a bit ago but haven't done anything with it yet, including clean it.  Then last night I saw a FB post on Richard Binder's page that said Esterbrook cartridge pens CX100 will take a Platinum converter.  Is this that pen?  The pics on a google search did not match this pen.  It has a twist cap. 

I don't have a platinum converter, but they're easy enough for me to get.  Be really keen if I could get this baby working again.  Any idea if a Platinum converter would go on whatever kind of Esterbrook this is?

Attached Images

• 20170228_185017237_iOS.jpg
  • 20170228_185017154_iOS.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 19:33

I've had some success with the Platinum 500 converter, but only on the Esterbrook pens that have a sleeve around the nipple.  The A101 pen you show is a straight fit, so there's nothing to hold a converter in place.  You'll have to use a cartridge.

#3 eharriett

eharriett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2017 - 16:30

A101, huh?  Guess no need for that, then.  And I assume you don't find the converters for them regularly.

I wonder if I can eyedropper it.  May have to experiment.

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2017 - 17:18

Oops...my mistake, I think.  Your pen is the CA101 (cartridge fill).  Esterbrook never made a converter for the pens.  The alternative would be the A101, which was an aerometric fill pen, much like the M2 or what the Parker 51 aerometric pens did, in principle.

The exception might be the Phaeton pen, which was a cartridge pen, but had an available aerometric filler adapter.

http://www.esterbrook.net/101.shtml

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,671 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2017 - 21:21

The converter for the Phaeton might be worth more than the pen.  They are nearly unobtanium.  My Phaeton has a good converter and a crummy nib.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#6 eharriett

eharriett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:00

Since it is all plastic and has a plastic (rubber) feed coming out of the section, any reason why I can't just grease the threads with silicone grease and try and make an eyedropper out of it?  If I understand you correctly, it will never be able to be used as a pen again.

#7 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:29

The converter for the Phaeton might be worth more than the pen.  They are nearly unobtanium.  My Phaeton has a good converter and a crummy nib.

I have one with both a great nib and a good converter.  Really a wonderful little pen.  I just happened upon it by chance on Etsy.

And, as a bonus, the cap appears to be a factory mis-stamp on the cap ring, so I have an interesting pen.  After this thread started, I decided to ink it up for a few days.  I forgot how much I love this pen!

Edited by gweimer1, 02 March 2017 - 22:57.

#8 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 22:09

I do not have one for experimentation.  Is the nipple sturdy ?  The nipple of a Sheaffer school pen, and the nipple of the NoNonsense are sturdily mounted steel.  For these, I punch a "pilot" hole, with a nail, enlarge the hole with a second nail, into the flat end of an International Standard cartridge.  Done carefully, it is a snug seal.  International Standard cartridges are widely available.    

(Love those Esterbrook nibs !)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#9 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 9,671 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:37

I have found that a Lamy cartridge will fit in my Esterbrook Safari cartridge pen.  It holds onto the nipple.  Writes OK.  This has been an exercise in curiosity.  Several years ago I would have been excited.  Too much frustration led to apathy.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

#10 eharriett

eharriett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:38

I have found that a Lamy cartridge will fit in my Esterbrook Safari cartridge pen.  It holds onto the nipple.  Writes OK.  This has been an exercise in curiosity.  Several years ago I would have been excited.  Too much frustration led to apathy.

Don't know safari. Is that the same as the one I pictured in my original post? If so, I don't have one of those either, but picking up a Lamy converter is just as easy as getting a Platinum one would be.

#11 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 9,671 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:25

Esterbrook Safari pens, not to be confused with Lamy Safari pens.  A link:  http://www.esterbrook.net/safari.shtml

#12 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:01

You can try to fit a Sheaffer cart. Just heat the bottom end up and then stick it in the piercer.

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

#13 cleosmama

cleosmama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:12

I've heard you can use a Sheaffer cartridge, but you need a spring or something in the end to hold the cartridge in place. Has anyone tried this?

Sponsored Content

|