The Finish On Kaweco Al Sports

Lugworm

This post is about the coloured finish on the Al Sport. Not about the pen underneath which is pretty good otherwise.

My question is, are Kaweco trying to promote the "patina" effect to sell us a poorly decorated product? I appreciate some people like their pens getting a Patina and that is fine.

Just look at the colour range. Light blue, silver and gunmetal grey are all similar(ish) to the metal below. Therefore it won't look so bad when the paint falls off. The Raw and brass dispenses with paint altogether. The Stonewash is already looking rough so no-one is going to complain about that. I've noticed they've stopped selling the nice blue finish, probably because some people might get disappointed when the pen starts looking rough.

A question. Does the finish on the Al sport deteriorate faster than other make pens if treated the same?

Moan over. What do people think?

:)

Edited by Lugworm

My debt he paid, my death he died, that I might live.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• Lugworm

• twdpens

• Chrissy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a pen to remain pristine and unused looking....don't use it, just leave it in the box. :P

I happen to like vintage pens very much and have no problem buying those that have been well-loved and used for years. (Used, not abused, mind you, I am not talking about pens that have been run over by a trolley car.) For me, the signs of wear add character to the pen, give me a sense of its history. I like modern pens very much too, and enjoy watching them age and even gain a few scratches perhaps, show some wear, become mine.​ I just bought the Brass Sport and a Liliput Brass Wave, also have a raw Aluminum Sport on its way to me. I can't wait until they start developing their own unique patinas, changed by the oils in my hands, exposure to the elements and the wear and tear of daily carry and use.

It sounds as if you are not comfortable with any of the above at all, Lugworm, so you should probably avoid any of the raw metal pens. The stonewash jeans Sports already have that worn look so that MIGHT appeal to you since you don't have to worry about the finish. (Come on, people spend $60+ dollars on a brand new pair of jeans that are already torn and frayed and have holes in them because that is the "in" look, why not do the same with a pen?!?) On the other hand, the anodized Sports might suit you better as their finishes resist scratches and no patina will develop either. Here is a quote about anodized metals that might reassure you; I found it on a site called Superior Metal Technologies:

Benefits of Anodized Aluminum

Unlike most other finishes, anodized aluminum preserves the natural luster, texture, and beauty of the metal itself, while imparting a hard coating that meets all the criteria to be considered when choosing an aluminum finish:

• Corrosion Protection – anodized aluminum resists moisture, salt spray, UV radiation
  • Durability – long life span, will not wear out under normal use
  • Color Stability – electrolytic process provides resistant to UV rays - anodized aluminum won't fade, chip or peel
  • Ease of Maintenance – highly resistant to scratches and wear, cleans easily with mild detergent and water
  • Aesthetics – offers a large number of gloss and color alternatives
  • Cost – lower finishing cost, lower maintenance costs
  • Health / Environmental Safety – anodized aluminum produces no dangerous by-products – and anodized aluminum does not harm human health or the environment

Holly

Edit: A bit slow on the uptake, just realized that, obviously, the person who wrote the post before mine, twdpens, is Martin of The Writing Desk. I ordered my AL Sport Raw from them, it just shipped today. Small world! :D )

Edited by OakIris

Holly, I think you understand me rather well. I did indeed briefly consider the Stonewashed but discounted it as I preferred something a bit "smarter". And you are also right that developing a patina doesn't appeal. You are helping to reinforce an idea I have that a black AL sport might be the way to go. To be honest, I've looked at so many pen reviews and nothing much else really appeals. The Kaweco is sort of quirky, you either love it or hate it. I really like my skyline, except for the scratches. Scratches that my childrens much abused Lamy Safaris don't have.

Many thanks

Kristian

My debt he paid, my death he died, that I might live.

I wasn't at all sure about my Stonewashed Sport blue when I first saw it. I'm pernickety about the state of my pens, and don't like getting them chipped or scratched. However, I now use my Stonewashed Sport more than any of my other Sport pens. I don't mind it rolling around on my desk, ready to pick up at any opportunity. Even if it got scratched I wouldn't notice! So I'm less protective of it.

I also take it on holiday with me when I go to the US, and I just love using it, because it always looks exactly the same. It's almost like it's indestructible. :wub:

There are probably many more people that feel as you do about their pens, Kristian, then there are those that feel the way I do. I buy the pens I do because I like the way they look as well how they feel to write with, and certainly think they should be well taken care of, even cherished, but they are also tools so signs of use are to be expected, IMHO, and, at least in my case, seem to be inevitable, lol. I hope you get the pen you want and that it lives up to your expectations. :)

I like the anodized Sports, too. I especially like the look of the Sport AC fountain pens. I think the combination of the carbon fiber with the anodized aluminum is quite stunning; even the black version would be more than acceptable, though the red and black version is the one that keeps catching my eye. Maybe someday, but right now I think two Kaweco Sports are enough. I did get several different sized nibs to play with, too, so that is plenty of variety for the time being.

Very cool that you are enjoying the use of your Stonewashed Blue Sport, Chrissy, despite your initial doubts, which were similar to those that Kristian has. (Perhaps you should give one a try after all, Kristian. :D )

Holly

Edited by OakIris