The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Remove Feed On Aurora 88P

aurora vintage 88p feed remove repaid leak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:39

I have a semi-vintage (1950s) Aurora 88P which leaks blobs of ink from the feed junction with the barrel when the well-fitting cap is removed, but not otherwise. What is needed to fix this please? I exclude cheerfully drilling a hole through the end of the cap to break the vacuum  ;)

If needed, how do I safely go about removing the feed? Of what important points should I be aware for re-assembly?

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

Sponsored Content

#2 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 17:09

Hi Praxim,

Is the leak from the nib end of the section or the section-barrel join?

There's not a lot you can do inside the section to address this problem. I've found, in my own experience, that the Ps leak more from the nib than the Ks or earlier pens. The main thing to be 100% about is the piston seal. If there is any hint of a leak there, removing the cap could create a vacuum and draw ink into the feed, flooding it, and by extension, air behind the ink through the seal. 

If it were my pen, I'd simply strip it down, give it a good clean, and reassemble with fresh seals and sealing.

The section is attached to the barrel with section sealant, most likely. This takes a bit of heat to make gooey and then the section screws off. The feed and nib then come FORWARD out of the section (this is counterintuitive).

Good luck!

#3 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 3,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 20:55

Thank you for that ralfstc.

Based on what you say, I now suspect the seal. To answer your query, the leak is from the nib end of the section. I had already cleaned the pen, removing the section and sealing the threads to stop a leak there. It was after those problems were solved that I found this residual problem at the nib end. It looks like I shall have to attack the problem of a new seal.

The pen has a fine nib and writes very nicely so the effort should be worth it. Is there a reference on that for Aurora? I found one here where all of the explanatory images had broken links, and my pen repair book is silent about the brand.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#4 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 3,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:41

Update

I found the threads I needed for my query and was set to contact fountainbel for a replacement seal cartridge when I noticed that the problem had stopped. I am still testing but now fairly confident about that. There are two reasons I imagine for this change. It may be that wetted with ink, the fibre washers expanded enough to stop the air gap. Alternatively, the silicone grease I added to the lower barrel wall may have taken effect.

I recall that with my first 88 I received a comment from the seller that the pen would arrive with water in the barrel and should be stored the same way to prevent drying of the seal. The seller of this 88P did not do the same. For my own use I am happy with silicone grease on the seal to serve that function.

Edit: typo

Edited by praxim, 02 March 2017 - 06:42.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora, vintage, 88p, feed, remove, repaid, leak

Sponsored Content

|