Fellow Canadians Where Do You Buy Your Pens (Especially The Vintage Ones)?

3nding

Hello fellow FPNers from Canada,

I have recently bought some pens from eBay and I have been looking around for more (Etsy, Kijiji, etc.), especially vintage ones. Shipping is often more than the pen itself when the pens are cheap (often 20$-30$) and often equivalent to half the price of the pens when they are popular models (you can see how a 45$ pen becomes a 70$ pen because of shipping).

Do you know some sites or other places where shipping isn't such an issue and that still have a diverse stock of vintage pens?

Thank you very much in advance!

PS: When I buy pens that are brand new its either locally or on the web through Amazon with Prime, so no problem with shipping for brand new pens unless the model is not available locally or through Amazon. In that case I would order a new pen from Goulet (shipping from them being only 10$).

Edited by 3nding

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3nding

• moylek

• wastelanded

• Ecriveur

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Hamilton, Ontario - so close to Toronto. I know of no physical vendors of vintage pens.

Such vintage (or merely old) pens as I have bought have been from the US, from hit-and-miss finds at antique shops, or - and this is your best bet if you are near Toronto - the Scriptus pen show in the fall.

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

It's not a place for vintage pens, but Wonder Pens in Toronto is definitely worth a visit for new pens and ink. I'm generally in Toronto about once a year, and always drop by Wonder Pens when I'm there. Every once in a while, for some strange reason, pens (especially Japanese ones) are available in Canada that aren't available in the US (or at least not easily available) so I'm always on the lookout for those when I visit Wonder Pens.

When in eBay, I stay away from US sellers: they charge extortionate amounts for shipping, and the Global Shipping Program is a joke. European sellers charge a lot less.

For new pens, and also inks, retailers in Germany and the UK have cheaper shipping rates than US-based retailers. For certain things, like German inks, German retailers can even be cheaper than Canadian ones.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I'll second Wonder Pens for new items. Shipping to USA was a little pricey, of course, but the pens I bought were very reasonably priced and the buying experience was pretty smooth, considering it had to be conducted via email (because you can't order on-line if you're not in Canada).

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I haven't bought from Canadian vendors, so as I am in the US I typically buy domestic. But not exclusively. I have bought from Spain, Portugal, the UK and other European countries. I also have a couple of pens bought from Japanese sellers on Amazon. I bought one pen from a US seller where the shipping was as much as I have paid for shipping from European sellers. ($10-15 USD range) I don't mind paying that going across the Atlantic if I have to but from CONUS? I won't do that again.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the responses, this has been very helpful. I have since indeed noticed that European seem to have much cheaper shipping rates which is mind boggling to me. Also Canadian sellers aren't too bad either which is reassuring I guess.

I will definitely check out Wonder Pens they seem to have some good deals.

I also discovered that La Boutique du Stylo here in Quebec City has some pretty good prices for most inks and pen accessories such as converters although I find the prices on some of their pens to be more then what you would find online, especially when it comes to high end pens (just the price of a Pelikan M800 nib is 600 CAD, while you seem to able to get a brand new M800 for 550 CAD online).

It's not a place for vintage pens, but Wonder Pens in Toronto is definitely worth a visit for new pens and ink. I'm generally in Toronto about once a year, and always drop by Wonder Pens when I'm there. Every once in a while, for some strange reason, pens (especially Japanese ones) are available in Canada that aren't available in the US (or at least not easily available) so I'm always on the lookout for those when I visit Wonder Pens.

Agreed. I have never been to Canada, but I have heard good things about WonderPens. Plenty of Canadian pen holders buy pens/ink from this place.