How Much Is Your Fountain Pen Collection Worth?

Omaslover

Dear all,

I keep track of all the fountain pens I purchase, the date of purchase, place (Pen show or online), price paid, etc

While browsing through it last night, I felt shocked at how much I had spent so far. Let's just say that I saw 4 zeros ...

What about you? Do you keep track of how much you spent and is the number frightening ...?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• Omaslover

• BillH

• TheRealMikeDr

This is not meant as a glib answer, but my small collection of pens is worth "keeping" for their custom edged nibs alone. An actual CAD value is hard to establish for these tools because of the added nib grinding fees & extra shipping involved.

Each pen is worth more than its initial selling price. Each successfully customized nib is priceless, at least for me. :)

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I just got started, so I'm only in a few hundred USD. There's a little voice in my head whispering, "...get out now before it's too late..."

Edited to add:

About that little voice... I've never heeded it, and I'm not about to start now.

Edited by bigkahuna

The amount actually paid for my top 30 pens was around $1,200. I have a few current Deltas but there is also a Parker 51 and an Eversharp Doric, both found in junk shops in perfect working order, for which I paid $2.00 each.

But I tend to lean towards third tier pens. They are not worth much, maybe $10.00 or $15.00 each, but they're worth a lot to me. I like them because to my eyes the old celluloids look better than the offerings of most current manufacturers. Certainly there's difficulty of finding a really good one, nevertheless I have found some 1930s sub-brands that still write very well.

I really like my top 30 pens and have no intention of parting with any of them, so what I would sell them for is considerably more than the purchase price.

I just got started, so I'm only in a few hundred USD. There's a little voice in my head whispering, "...get out now before it's too late..."

This pastime can lead you down a rabbit hole.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I do keep track of what I've spent. Not merely on pens, but on inks, paper, accessories, restoration or customization work, etc.

I won't say it's "frightening", although it would certainly be surprising to someone who isn't into pens as a hobby. But I think it's a good idea to keep track of one's interests in this way. Without a record, it would be too easy to kid myself that it's not as much as it is.

In any case, I assume that I'm in deeper than some, less so than others. And that I would most likely take a net loss on any portion of my collection that I sold.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Dear all,

I keep track of all the fountain pens I purchase, the date of purchase, place (Pen show or online), price paid, etc

While browsing through it last night, I felt shocked at how much I had spent so far. Let's just say that I saw 4 zeros ...

*What about you? & Do you keep track of how much you spent and$ is the number frightening ...?

* Me.....& No! $ Hell No!

Fred

Come on over. The boys and I will gladly tell you what they are worth!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/two2tone/menwithguns.jpg

Dear all,

What about you? Do you keep track of how much you spent and is the number frightening ...?

I have never heard of member "Jar" giving bad advice; I will continue on my path & say I am following his advice!

I don't keep track of $ spent; I know WHAT I spend & if I don't, I will be reminded when I look @ the credit card bills each month. If one month shocks me, the next month will usually reflect smaller expenditures.

More than a car, less than a country club golf membership :D

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

d

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I don't keep track....but a pen that at first I thought would only drive up the live auction price of a 400nn FP&MP&BP...did, in it was MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-54 only). I was shocked it was worth a bit over E200, when I paid E170 for all three.

Then a few years later It was pushing E400.....and a few months ago, some idiot was offering it for 'Buy Now' I don't remember E1000 or was that only E800.

Back when I was astounded over the E200, I found it one of my then three perfectly balanced pens....what would I do with that 'Buy Now' money....blow it on a vacation?????

Lots of pens I bought for E19 are now E50 or those I bought for E70 are now E110-120.

But be aware buying fountain pens for fun and profit is not very profitable.

First you have to hold on to them for ages....then you can't be caught short .... like in a depression like we just got over with....that will be coming back.

8 years ago when I got back into fountain pens I found out my P-75 alone, was worth $225.....and that didn't count the matching BP/MP...which was worth some $75 at least.

Then come the Depression and P-75's were going for $75.....now they are up to @ $200 again.... I think...but I don't keep track of prices.

Pelikan '50's 400s could be had at the same price as the later 80-90's M400. A few years ago E70-90....now E110-140.

Tortoise for the same price as green stripped. I've been buying live auction, in it's cheaper....on the whole.

If one has the right buy.....I bought a MB Virginia Woolf (2006) on sale at my B&M from E750 for E450. Had I kept it for the last 4 years or so years, in the wrapper/box and never inked it. I could sell it NOS for E750....last year. Perhaps a bit more now.

Two-three years ago in the middle of the depression.....what E200-250 with luck????

I have to admit when I bought that Woolf, I couldn't afford an used pen, bottle of ink or box of paper for 3/4ths a year.....that was by far the most expensive pen I ever bought....my next expensive were E170-150....since then.

Pen of the Quarter Club..... :thumbup:

I think my most expensive before that was my 99E 605.

When the banks fail again, and the next depression comes is when one needs the money....you lose.

If you buy gold coins or little gold bars....come the next depression due to deregulation....3-4 years max, you can sell the gold and get lots of half price pens.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a friend who has three fountain pens. One was her late father's (it has a cracked cap). The second, a Sheaffer Balance, is from an elderly favorite aunt. The third. a Sheaffer Imperial III, she bought after careful consideration as she really liked the feel of the nib. The worth of her collection? To her, they are priceless.

I have considerably more pens and some of my pens cost more than hers combined. However, none of my pens come with stories or connections like her first two pens, so my collection is worth a lot less.

I know that I have the necessary records, but I do not keep track and have no idea what is the sum other than to say more than a little and less than I could afford. That is no different from my other interests and doubtless true for most people.

Edited by praxim

X

Yeah sure, people are going to say, come steal my collection, it is worth $xx,xxx.

You are telling us that yours is worth over $10,000.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Edited to add:

About that little voice... I've never heeded it, and I'm not about to start now.

Haha! Indeed run now while it's time

I have a friend who has three fountain pens. One was her late father's (it has a cracked cap). The second, a Sheaffer Balance, is from an elderly favorite aunt. The third. a Sheaffer Imperial III, she bought after careful consideration as she really liked the feel of the nib. The worth of her collection? To her, they are priceless.

I have considerably more pens and some of my pens cost more than hers combined. However, none of my pens come with stories or connections like her first two pens, so my collection is worth a lot less.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!