The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Swapping Nib

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:29

After being frustrated by the scratchiness of some of the Esterbrook nibs, I decided to swap nibs.

I did this before when I put a 2-tone nib into an Esterbrook for my wife.

I removed the collar (hot water method) and replaced the Esterbrook nib with a Chinese M nib that I got off eBay.

One problem, the Chinese nibs appear to be thinner than the Esterbrook nib, so the collar goes further UP the feed+nib.  This did not seem to affect the function.  It just made the nib sit further into the section when screwed into the section.

Result, the Chinese nib is MUCH SMOOTHER than the old Esterbrook nibs  :D

I might just replace all my 1xxx and 2xxx F nibs with the Chinese nibs. 

Edited by ac12, 27 February 2017 - 08:30.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sponsored Content

#2 fullfederhalter

fullfederhalter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 17:25

Esterbrook nibs have generally been smooth and very good writers in my experience--even the 1XXX and 2XXX series, with the exception of abused or damaged nibs.  In those cases where the nib has been undesirable, replacement units are easy to find and not too expensive for common styles like a general writing medium point.  Nevertheless, your experience offers another option for finding a nib that increases enjoyment of writing with an Esterbrook.  Thanks for sharing.

#3 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:18

Esterbrook 9xxx series nibs tend to be very smooth in my experience. Sometimes I have been lucky enough to find even a 1xxx series nib that is pretty smooth or that can be smoothed. Sometimes but not often. However, an undamaged Esterbrook 9xxx series nib has always been of sufficient smoothness as to require no smoothing or replacement. I am happy for you that you were successful in getting the nib with the desired smoothness safely transferred into an Esterbrook collar. Congratulations.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:33

You could replace the 1xxx and 2xxx nibs you have with smoother Chinese nibs.  I have occasionally replaced nibs of Esterbrooks with gold or steel nibs from other pen companies, and if it's a good fit, and the nib doesn't go too far into the section, then it usually is successful.  I suppose the Chinese have used more modern manufacturing to make a smoother product, and also used metal more sparingly resulting in a thinner but smoother nib.  That's very interesting.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

|