• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danbuter

• jar

• Bo Bo Olson

• Manalto

Could be. Most fountain pens are designed to work between 60 and 45 degrees but 35 is not impossible. But you do not tell us what model pen it is?

Okay. Entry level massed produced fountain pen. I can believe the nib would be unusual. Fortunately humans are versatile and adaptable multi-purpose tools.

What do you call 35 degrees? Resting the pen behind the big index knuckle, on the pit of the web of the thumb is what I call 35 degrees.

Holding a fountain pen before the big index knuckle like a ball point is holding it too high.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Are you threatening us, the die-hard fountain pen users? It's OK if you use a rollerball. Do you seriously think all fountain pens are the same, particularly when someone just told you the general range at which they're designed to write? I've had fountain pens that write at just about any angle, plus backward.

James

Lol. I just think that a pen that costs more than $1 should write better than a cheap Bic. This was an experiment for me. The pen is very nice looking, but I am not impressed with it's actual writing.

A fountain pen will always be a little more of a hassle in this regard because (with rare exceptions) you have to rotate it to align the nib to the paper. (A ball-point, as you know, will write at any orientation.) The trade-off, when a FP works properly, is having a writing instrument that's more responsive, expressive and fun to use. You don't have to break the bank to find one that works properly, but you may have to go a smidge higher than $1.

I know just what you mean with the low-angle problem; I have a stub nib that does that and it's annoying. Be assured that this is not The Fountain Pen Experience. Give it another try.

Edited by Manalto

James

I have been reading a lot of this forum, and I guess my expectations were much higher.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the writing angle of the nib without ruining the pen?

I have been reading a lot of this forum, and I guess my expectations were much higher.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the writing angle of the nib without ruining the pen?

Not at that price level. Sorry but what you have is basically an entry level pen. To get the nib worked on will like cost two to three times the price of the pen. Humans though are adaptable and it's easier for a human to get used to a writing angle change then to change the pen itself.

Part of the difference is the two means of putting ink on paper. Ballpoints and Roller Ball pens put down in by using friction to turn a transport ball. The fountain pen puts down ink by capillary action.

Be very careful, else you will destroy your pen!!

Dan, there are some videos on youtube that show how to tweak a FP. And they will warn you multiple time to be very careful, else you will destroy your pen. The ones from Goulet Pen Co are pretty good. Try if you dare! Watch for the "Waverly." Thats probably the easiest way to raise the pen angle.

Be very careful, else you will destroy your pen!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Sure you can get some micro-mesh (three grades on a nail buffer)....or a knife sharpening stone...if your hand is very, very light and you can reshape the nib tipping to the angle you wish to write at.

Does help to do some reading on that.

Nope, for a $1....you get what you paid for. You can get some @$3.00 Chinese pens that if you buy a hand full. one should work....just fine.

Or a Dollar Pakistani/Indian pen that costs now more than a dollar....inflation even there.

Ever notice it's free ball points that are given away...not free fountain pens?

Of course I'm wondering if you hold a fountain pen like a fountain pen or like a ball point...a picture would help...me at least, decide if it's you or the pen.

Most fountain pens will write from 90 degrees....modern does that best, to after the big index knuckle at 45 or start of the web of the thumb at 40 much less in the pit of the web of the thumb at 35.

It is very odd the pen won't 'write' at a higher angle.....it might well be 'smoother' at 35 but that it won't write at 40 degrees is a first time I've heard of that.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

OK, I realized what I was doing wrong, very definitely operator error. :blush:

When I write, I tend to spin the pen, so the nib would actually turn just a bit while I was writing loops, which caused the skipping. I was also gripping the pen a bit too tightly. Once I realized what I was doing wrong, the pen has worked fine.

So if anyone is interested, the Ohto Dude is a good pen. I just wasn't used to using a fountain pen, so made a dumb mistake.

Hello, danbuter. I see you have only 25 posts. Welcome aboard!

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

When I write, I tend to spin the pen, so the nib would actually turn just a bit while I was writing loops, which caused the skipping. I was also gripping the pen a bit too tightly. Once I realized what I was doing wrong, the pen has worked fine.

So if anyone is interested, the Ohto Dude is a good pen. I just wasn't used to using a fountain pen, so made a dumb mistake.

That'll do it; angle is everything. It does take some getting used to, but I know when I switch to a ballpoint for whatever reason, I'm amazed at how much pressure I have to use to write.

There's a thread with a link to a Chinese FP for 99 cents shipped on eBay. You can only order one, but for less than a buck shipped, you're out basically nothing and you have something completely different against which you can compare what you have.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

New FP. It only writes well when I hold it very close to the paper, maybe 35 degrees. Is this normal for a fountain pen?

ony for sailor

</rim_shot>

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new pen - may you explore many more over the course of time! With fountain pens the journey is the destination.

My "fingers-extended" light grip places contact with the section 1.5 inches behind the nib. This is pretty close to 45-degrees. 35-degree places the middle finger to pen contact area 2.5 inches from the nib. Neither is particularly uncomfortable, except that my pens are too short for the 35-degree hold.

Most people trying a fountain pen, for the first time, come from the ballpoint pen experience. Unless the user is willing to "adjust the nut that holds the pen barrel", fp will lose a newbie. It can't be helped. 70 years ago, people had to adjust to using ballpoint pens. I can offer suggestions, but it is not my cross to bear.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !