Kwzi Iron Gall Inks

Cryptos

Hello.

Does anyone know if KWZI iron galls inks are a viable option to use with pointed dip pens? I've tried R&K Salix and ESSRI, and they seem to work okay, but I was looking for some alternative colours.

Cheeyars.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Runnin_Ute

• Buzz_130

• eharriett

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had excellent results with the 3-4 KWZI IG inks in my collection. I've only used them in a range of fountain pens, but my noticeable success is using one of the IG Blues in a steel-nibbled (2XXX) Esterbrook J with no negative results.

Diamine Registrars takes more care than any of my KWZI Inks.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't have good results with pointed dip pens.

Buzz

I've got an old Esterbrook vintage desk set here with 2 inkwells. On one side is an Azure IG ink sample from KWZI on the other side is Diamine Registrars. The one with crusting problems is the Diamine Registrars. KWZ seems to be a little nicer to everything. That being said, I am still not comfortable putting any of them in a pen. They are for desk inkwells only.

Well, as noted, I am looking to use them primarily with a dip pen. Though if I like the colour I wouldn't be averse to putting it in a fountain pen too. :)

I haven't yet used my IG Turquoise with a dip pen yet, but have had no issues using in any of my fountain pens. Right now I have it in a Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell with a very wet medium nib. As the pen doesn't have a huge capacity (.65 ml) compared to my other Pelikan Mxxx pens. I have even used it in my TWSBI's without issue. I'd say give it a try.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My experience with four Kwz IG inks so far (Aztec Gold, Red # 3, Turquoise, and Green # 2) is that they are a lot wetter than Diamine Registrars, and similar to flow with R&K Scabosia if not a little wetter than it as well. Not sure how this may translate to dip pens, as fountain inks are generally more free flowing than calligraphy inks used with dip pens, but they are definitely awesome additions to the iron gall ink world, and are worth trying if you want to expand your color options.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA