Of Birthday's, Trips, And Anderson Pens!

DekeVader

Hey all!

I thought I should share with you my experience yesterday (February 24th).

Yesterday was my birthday and for the past several months I've been wanting to go to Anderson Pens. I live in Wisconsin but Anderson Pen shop is about 2 hours north from where I live and a trip like that isn't something you take lightly. So it had to be a special occasion. I've also never been to a Brick and Mortar pen shop so I wasn't just going just so I could buy a new pen. I wanted to go so I could have the full on experience of trying different pens and really enjoy myself as I struggle to choose just one special pen for my Birthday. (I want ALL the pens lol)

After driving in what turned into a snowy ice storm for 2 hours we got to the store and wow! it was great. Pens were in every case and there was a full wall of inks and supplies. I could have spent hours and thousands of dollars in there without batting an eye. (If I wasn't on a strict budget).

Anyway walking in I met Chris and explained that I was looking for a special pen for my birthday, I told him the types of pens I liked but I also brought a list of pens I would like to see and try. Chris began pulling pens and introducing me to pens I hadn't thought of or didn't realize I might like. He also pulled some of my grail pens and allowed me to hold and test them out a bit and showed me some other really great pens. He was friendly, courteous and even a bit playful. At one point he pulled a pen and explained it was one of his favorites since it was a new model meant to have a nib similar to the vintage flex nibs. It was AWESOME! (the name escapes me right now). I was ready to buy when I asked out much, he said "about a thousand" to which I laughed and immediately replied "Now you're just playing with me" and We had a good laugh.

I had also brought two pens hoping they could help me identify them. One is a Conway Stewart I won on auction and another was a Platinum pen I had also won from Auction. The Conway Stewart was the more interesting pen since I needed not only a sack for it but also a cap. Brian had come out, wished me a happy birthday and worked with me to try to get me some info on it. Even he was stumped but he gave me a great starting point to begin my search and mentioned talking to someone at the Chicago pen show I will be going to in May.

Eventually I ended up getting myself the Franklin Christoph Model 19 Anderson Pen Exclusive with a Fine Nib. (I normally like Mediums but since I can swap the nib unit out I plan to get a 14k Mike Masayma sp?) medium when Franklin Christoph has them in stock next. I love my pen and I went with this pen because it it was a big pen, with a great nib, and it was an exclusive to Anderson Pens which made the trip that much more special. I also ended up getting a Calligraphy book and the ink sac I needed (I should have also gotten some ink but I was close to my budget so I couldn't).

My visit to Anderson Pens was everything I really hoped it would be and that is mostly in part to the great service, patience and friendship shown to me by Chris, Brian and all the staff at Anderson Pens. I plan to go back every birthday to pick a special pen on my birthday. Next year is going to be a BIG one since it will be my 40th and I'm thinking maybe it will be time to get my first MontBlanc or another of my grail pens. I have a whole year to decide.

In closing I'd just like to say Thank you again to Chris at Anderson Pens and to anyone thinking of going and making the trip, it's worth the travel time. It's such a great experience and a lot more personable than just ordering a pen online. I learned ALOT by just seeing, holding and testing the pens I was interested in and because of it some pens I wanted then dismissed are back on my "To buy" list.

-Deke

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PS104

• Jamesbeat

• Flippy

• DekeVader

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pen shops are great aren't they?

I was very lucky when I lived in Birmingham, England because I worked right by WH Smith (which at the time had a decent pen counter) and The Pen Shop, which as the name implies sells mostly pens.

Now I live on Long Island, I'm pretty much stuck buying online. I'm sure there are pen stores in the city, but I rarely have occasion to go there.

Now I live on Long Island, I'm pretty much stuck buying online. I'm sure there are pen stores in the city, but I rarely have occasion to go there.

As I understand the situation there is only one pen store left in the city and that is The Fountain Hospital in lower Manhattan and from what I've seen, read about and heard, well-worth the trip.

Edited by PS104

As I understand the situation there is only one pen store left in the city and that is The Fountain Hospital in lower Manhattan and from what I've seen, read about and heard, well-worth the trip.

Which actually happens to be a really good FP store. I would feel lucky if I were you, Jamesbeat. Here in Korea, it's kind of hard to find good pens stores, and the prices are slightly ridiculous. :P

We have several stores in and around Washington, DC. Of course, we also have some fantastic pen shows (DCSSPS & Baltimore). The appeal of the brick and mortar store and the pen show is a sense of community on comraderie with those who enjoy fine writing tools.

Looks like the Anderson shop had it for you in spades! Happy Birthday, and enjoy your pen.

Buzz

Of course, it depends on where you live. Two hour drive us nothing where I live. We measure distance in time, not miles.

Peace and Understanding

Every time I'm in Wisconsin visiting family we drive to Anderson Pens. It too is about a two hour drive as I'm in the Madison area. Always worth the trip as the Anderson's and their staff are always so friendly (Wisconsin nice!) and knowledgeable. While my wife isn't into fountain pens, she loves Retro 51's and usually spends more there than I do.

Afterwards we drive up to Green Bay and visit Lambeau Field.

Two awesome places in one day!

Looking forward to seeing the Anderson's next weekend at the Baltimore Pen Show.

Edited by Tasmith