I've been circling back to mechanical pencils and really enjoying them. I seem to be more "doodle inspired" with one than anything else. Ballpoints are permanent, fountain pen ink is limited, and lead is just so easily to reload.

I know very little about pencil leads... only that there's different compositions of lead/graphite and range from butter soft to rock hard, from pin point thinness to massive thickness of a cotton swab.

So what are some of the best value brands out there to buy? And what is a good hardness level that resists breakage but still gives enough softness for artistic flair? :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• NinthSphere

• flatline

• bearcat1

Top Posters In This Topic

A week's worth of reading about pencils and pencil leads will be less productive than 5 minutes of experimenting with actual pencils and pencil leads.

My recommendation is to purchase an inexpensive mechanical pencil in each of the lead sizes that you're curious about and then use them. Pay attention to what you like and dislike about each of the lead sizes. Once you've identified which lead sizes you like, then decide if you like the pencils that you have in those sizes. If you do, then you're done. If you have complaints, then look for another pencil that you think you might like better.

The thing about pencils (and pens, for that matter) is that whether you like them is dependent on lots of things, several of which are difficult to evaluate unless you're actually holding the pencil in your hand. Fortunately, you can buy several pencils for the price of an entry level fountain pen.

--flatline

A week's worth of reading about pencils and pencil leads will be less productive than 5 minutes of experimenting with actual pencils and pencil leads.

My recommendation is to purchase an inexpensive mechanical pencil in each of the lead sizes that you're curious about and then use them. Pay attention to what you like and dislike about each of the lead sizes. Once you've identified which lead sizes you like, then decide if you like the pencils that you have in those sizes. If you do, then you're done. If you have complaints, then look for another pencil that you think you might like better.

The thing about pencils (and pens, for that matter) is that whether you like them is dependent on lots of things, several of which are difficult to evaluate unless you're actually holding the pencil in your hand. Fortunately, you can buy several pencils for the price of an entry level fountain pen.

--flatline

That's what I did and finalized on the .9mm lead pencils. I now have a collection of mostly vintage .9mm pencils with a few 1.18mm ones. I also have several varieties of .9mm lead and I enjoy the different hardness varieties--even some indelible lead. I often sign forms and credit card receipts in pencil--who wants to erase your signature on most everyday documents?

Thanks for the JetPens links, NinthSphere & bearcat. :)

--flatline

I actually have a huge number of 0.5mm mechanical pencils, with some 0.7mm, 0.9mm, a 1.1mm, and a 0.3mm. I presume they have the most common lead installed. Just a few seem to have slightly softer types. I guess what would probably be a good idea is to put a little label on each pencil I'm using to test the lead so I can keep track (I have only a few that have selectors to indicate the lead).

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I use HB in everything, for writing or sketching. Uni Nano Dia in the 0.5s, Autopoint in the 0.9s, & Retro 51 for the 1.1s. I've never conquered shading though, so I wouldn't know where to start with that.

Hi, I've found over many years of pencil use, that they only write as I want when in (Euro) 2B/3B/4B softness, obviously the paper type makes a great deal of difference too.

Oh thanks folks, thats just great. What with FP's, nibs, inks, paper, shaving stuff and now pencils and leads - another slippery slope to slide down.

I think I'll just stick to gardening. Oh, errr, wait...............

:D

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present