The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Get The Lead Out

pencil mechanical pencil pencil lead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2017 - 21:49

I've been circling back to mechanical pencils and really enjoying them. I seem to be more "doodle inspired" with one than anything else. Ballpoints are permanent, fountain pen ink is limited, and lead is just so easily to reload.

I know very little about pencil leads... only that there's different compositions of lead/graphite and range from butter soft to rock hard, from pin point thinness to massive thickness of a cotton swab.

So what are some of the best value brands out there to buy?  And what is a good hardness level that resists breakage but still gives enough softness for artistic flair?  :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Sponsored Content

#2 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2017 - 22:12

These two JetPens articles are my usual suggested reading on the subject.

https://www.jetpens....ss-grade/pt/475

https://www.jetpens....mparison/pt/887

#3 bearcat1

bearcat1

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2017 - 23:06

I like the Rotring 600 from jetpens with HB lead.

https://www.jetpens....er-Body/pd/6436

Edited by bearcat1, 25 February 2017 - 23:07.

#4 flatline

flatline

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2017 - 23:33

A week's worth of reading about pencils and pencil leads will be less productive than 5 minutes of experimenting with actual pencils and pencil leads.

My recommendation is to purchase an inexpensive mechanical pencil in each of the lead sizes that you're curious about and then use them. Pay attention to what you like and dislike about each of the lead sizes. Once you've identified which lead sizes you like, then decide if you like the pencils that you have in those sizes. If you do, then you're done. If you have complaints, then look for another pencil that you think you might like better.

The thing about pencils (and pens, for that matter) is that whether you like them is dependent on lots of things, several of which are difficult to evaluate unless you're actually holding the pencil in your hand. Fortunately, you can buy several pencils for the price of an entry level fountain pen.

--flatline

#5 Outta Ink

Outta Ink

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:03

A week's worth of reading about pencils and pencil leads will be less productive than 5 minutes of experimenting with actual pencils and pencil leads.

My recommendation is to purchase an inexpensive mechanical pencil in each of the lead sizes that you're curious about and then use them. Pay attention to what you like and dislike about each of the lead sizes. Once you've identified which lead sizes you like, then decide if you like the pencils that you have in those sizes. If you do, then you're done. If you have complaints, then look for another pencil that you think you might like better.

The thing about pencils (and pens, for that matter) is that whether you like them is dependent on lots of things, several of which are difficult to evaluate unless you're actually holding the pencil in your hand. Fortunately, you can buy several pencils for the price of an entry level fountain pen.

--flatline

That's what I did and finalized on the .9mm lead pencils.  I now have a collection of mostly vintage .9mm pencils with a few 1.18mm ones.  I also have several varieties of .9mm lead and I enjoy the different hardness varieties--even some indelible lead.  I often sign forms and credit card receipts in pencil--who wants to erase your signature on most everyday documents?  

#6 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:15

Thanks for the JetPens links, NinthSphere & bearcat. :)

--flatline

I actually have a huge number of 0.5mm mechanical pencils, with some 0.7mm, 0.9mm, a 1.1mm, and a 0.3mm.  I presume they have the most common lead installed.  Just a few seem to have slightly softer types.  I guess what would probably be a good idea is to put a little label on each pencil I'm using to test the lead so I can keep track (I have only a few that have selectors to indicate the lead).

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#7 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:45

I use HB in everything, for writing or sketching. Uni Nano Dia in the 0.5s, Autopoint in the 0.9s, & Retro 51 for the 1.1s. I've never conquered shading though, so I wouldn't know where to start with that.

#8 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:54

Hi,  I've found over many years of pencil use, that they only write as I want when in (Euro) 2B/3B/4B softness, obviously the paper type makes a great deal of difference too. 

#9 nigelg

nigelg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:20

Oh thanks folks, thats just great. What with FP's, nibs, inks, paper, shaving stuff and now pencils and leads - another slippery slope to slide down.

I think I'll just stick to gardening. Oh, errr, wait...............

:D

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why it's called the present

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pencil, mechanical pencil, pencil lead

Sponsored Content

|