Ink Recommendations

NathanGrimaud

In need of a new ink, what are your absolute must try ink recommendations? I typically only write in blues, blacks, greys etc. But any recommendations are welcome. I do like a well behaved ink, such as J.Herbin cafe des iles, and something that preferably doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks everyone!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diderot

• Manalto

• NathanGrimaud

• LizB

Pilot inks are incredibly well-behaved and bargain priced too. Both the blue and the blue-black have some water resistance and and good flow. If you want to explore other colors take a look at the Iroshizuku line of inks-- rich saturated colors that, again, are well behaved but not water resistant.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

^^^ 1+ on this; save yourself a lot of money, time, and headaches by picking up samples to try before buying. The samples from the Goulet's are enough to write a page with (or more); I always write with samples in an ink journal so I can keep the color and performance as a future reference.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

+1 on finding a good source of samples. You can get 2-3 fills of your favorite fountain pen with a sample, and you don't have to lay out the investment in a full bottle of ink that turns out to not meet your needs.

For blues, blue-black, and black, every ink manufacturer makes at least one shade of color. Most have dozens in each of those colors.

Enjoy the hunt.

Buzz

+2 on samples. I personally get mine from Vanness since they have a ridiculous variety to choose from and include 4mLs which is double what other vendors offer.

KWZI is a great choice in both their standard and IG lines and are very competitively priced. I also love my Waterman inks, and really enjoy mixing them together to make beautiful colors. They also are the most well-behaved inks I own and work in every single pen I've tried them in.

Since your flag says Australia, you may well want to check out the Robert Oster inks. There are also many reviews here which may help guide your choices.

^^^ 1+ on this; save yourself a lot of money, time, and headaches by picking up samples to try before buying.

This is prudent advice, particularly for new or uncommon inks. On the other hand, if you check the reviews here, you can be reasonably sure that, if an ink has a good reputation among FPN members, you will like it too and the color (compared among multiple sources) is in the same ballpark as what you see on your monitor. (Because I find that the appearance of inks tends to vary according to the pen, exposure to the air, how scrupulously the pen was flushed before filling, etc., I'm not particularly fussy about color fidelity; for example, I will find a dark olive appealing throughout its range.) Then you can just buy the bottle with a reasonable amount of confidence and be done with it.

When I come across an ink that I like, I scour the reviews here and (Heaven forfend!) elsewhere. Sometimes in doing so, I encounter the same - or nearly the same - color ink with a better performance rating and maybe even at a lower price. I find the reviews here of both pens and inks enormously helpful.

Edited by Manalto

James

When I come across an ink that I like, I scour the reviews here and (Heaven forfend!) elsewhere. Sometimes in doing so, I encounter the same - or nearly the same - color ink with a better performance rating and maybe even at a lower price. I find the reviews here of both pens and inks enormously helpful.

+1

Definitely do samples first. If you want a black recommendation, mine is Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It is a fantastic ink that is very black, bulletproof, and eternal. I have yet to find a blue that I like. I do have a bottle of Noodler's Bad Blue Heron out in the mail which I should get today. I have high hopes for it being a good blue that is bulletproof and eternal.

Personally, I think all inks should be bulletproof and eternal. What's the point of writing something and it doesn't last? Also, the ink should make pen maintenance easy (not stain the pen it is in).

EDIT:

I am sure there are needs for inks which do not last, but I want mine to last as long as the paper does.

Edited by NORVIN

What's the point of writing something and it doesn't last?

"To do" lists

Directions/instructions

Memos

Etc.

I'd say most writing we do doesn't need to last - unless, of course, we're destined for more-than-fleeting celebrity.

James

I'm really enjoying Blackstone Sydney harbour Blue at the moment. The ink company are completely new to me, and just available in the UK, but probably more familiar elsewhere. Wet, but still with good shading, and sheen.

32556538385_0d412a1150_c.jpg

Some of my favorite blues and should be available there in Australia - since they are made there are the Blackstone line of inks, Sydney Harbour Blue, Barrier Reef Blue - both shade AND sheen on good paper.

I also have Daintree Green and Uluru Red from their line. They also have a couple of permanent inks - Barrister Blue and Black.

I have only tried Astorquiza Rot of the Robert Oster inks. But I understand that many of the colors are very nice - well behaved too. (Astorquiza Rot is named after our very own Cyber6) There are some very good comparison of the Oster inks in the Ink Comparisons sub forum.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

You are in the home of two amazing ink makers, Blackstone and Robert Oster.

Blackstone: Barrier Reef Blue and Daintree Green are among my very favorites.

Robert Oster: Barossa Grape is luscious.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm really enjoying Blackstone Sydney harbour Blue at the moment. The ink company are completely new to me, and just available in the UK, but probably more familiar elsewhere. Wet, but still with good shading, and sheen.

32556538385_0d412a1150_c.jpg

Who in the UK stocks them?

I've been on a true blue (think ultramarine) kick again lately, but after seeing the results from several days of use with each color (a dozen or more different blues), I'm going back to iron gall inks again.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us