Getting A Modified Flexible Nib- Mikeitwork!

thygreyt

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thygreyt

• Ghost Plane

• Pen Nut

• Valdair

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to fedex, the pen is scheduled to be delivered "before the end of the day" on friday.

I am now using shigure in my 90th edition (it arrived!) so the modified pen will likely be using Moss green.

I'll probably post something in my instagram ( www.instagram.com/reed.thoughts ) as soon as i get the pen.

I'll post something more elaborate here on sunday or monday after some use.

Sailor shigure! (Imperial purple) the ink arrives on Monday, the pen sometime during the week.

My current favorite ink! Also sheens more the Lamy Dark Lilac.

My current favorite ink! Also sheens more the Lamy Dark Lilac.

Its great ink, but im using it on the 90th as it arrived way sooner than expected...! So the platinum 146 will get green

And yes, it is a quite interesting ink... I like it a lot.

17629904_183002982210843_367377568556028

Got the pen!

I inked it up with Moss green, and have been using it.

Data:
Medium 14kt nib, made wetter and a cursive italic.

First impressions:

At my writing angle the pen is not ubber smooth, but will keep on using it and getting used to it.
The wetness is EXACTLY what i wanted...!

But everyone is wondering about the added flex.

i've compared it to my bock Titanium nib, noodlers flex nibs, and my 149 14c semi flex nib.

The titanium is the softest.

the titanium is the flexiest (biggest flex achievable safely)

But the 14c is the smoothest of all.

The 14kt is... better than them all. It snaps back great! not the softness nor the smooshy-ness of the Ti.

Noodlers has a lot of feedback and requires a lot of pressure. I like them, but i dont love them.

it flexes better than the 14c... i cant yet quite put it into words... i will do a set of writing samples on monday or tuesday, and maybe a video comparing the mentioned. Feel free to ask questions to make sure i write the answers or address them.

I think i will get more 14kt nibs and send them in... :wub:

Edit: I dont want to be a tease.
This is an initial writing sample.

17635185_184865258691282_693496653944036

Edited by thygreyt

Quick writing/ nib comparison.

-MB 146 Platinum by mike it work: GVFC Moss Green. Medium Cursive Italic with added flex

-MB Twain by Nibsmith. MB Leo tolstoy blue. Medium stub

-Caran D'ache Ivanhoe medium stub by Nibsmith. Iroshizuku Kosumosu

-MB 146 90th Medium nib. Sailor shigure

-Twsbi vac 700 with a bock Titanium medium nib. Diamine Ancient Copper.

Last one on the bottom is Noodlers creeper on MB permanent blue

The top part is normal writing, to compare the different writing at different nibs and their writing. There is some flex at normal writing pressure. I write with a fairly light hand at almost no pressure, but tend to close words or use the downstroke to add a little flare to the writing.

After the line i wrote using no pressure and some pressure, slightly more than my normal.

17759984_186621508515657_697774682898961

I'll keep on using the pen for the next few days... Post up if there is anything you want to see.

• 1 month later...

So, i finally bought a tripod! now i can record writing samples..!

I plan on making a close up of the writing with these two nibs: One is the modified nib, the other one is a standard nib.

Both are 14k, both came on 146s, both are medium (one standard, one cursive italic)

What makes it different from a "soft" nib, at least from my soft nibs (the 14k and the GVFC nib) is the ease at which the tines open. Being a medium, it flexes up to ~BB... But since it starts at a medium the difference is not as drastic as a fine flexing to the same.

18359110_207562303088244_642880535948349

• 3 weeks later...

Finally comparing all my flexible nibs (meaning, the tines open up under pressure. Not all flexible nibs are equally flexible)

The below is the overview of all the nibs. The squiggly lines are variation of pressure (downstroke) and no pressure. The lines at the end are the same: no pressure and what i dare extract out of them

Note: I used two noodlers creepers because my worn in one is more flexible than the "newer" one. (6 months vs 2 years of use)

All nibs are supposed to be Mediums (except noodlers), but a medium nib always changes from one pen to the other.

The Masuyama flex is also a cursive italic and that too aids in line variation, but i've made a small addition at the end comparing the downwards line at no pressure and at my dared max flex.

post-126100-0-89686100-1495641788_thumb.jpg

18698188_215705062273968_439790400821838

18620247_215710405606767_270651692068706

• 1 month later...

Just a small update.

I went to Iguana Sell today and tried their Nakaya testers. They have 4 and all can be seen on the video below by GourmetPens, The ever famous flexible elastic among them.

As a quick comparison now that i am familiar with my MikeitWork nib.

Disregard what i Initially said (i'm going to modify the original post).
So when comparing the both, i have to say i HUGELY preffer the Mikeitwork Semiflex to Nakaya's.

Nakaya's is softer, meaning that the tines open up with lesser pressure/effort. a LOT less.

But its maximum-non-sprung flex is not particularly impressive.

In comparison, my MikeItWork requires just a touch more pressure, but opens us further giving more line variation.

For my writing style, i rather have my nib as i have an easier time controlling the tines... Although i must admit that initially i had to learn to lighten my hand.

At the moment, this is my favorite nib.