Getting A Modified Flexible Nib- Mikeitwork!

thygreyt

Hello guys!

I just realized i should post this as a writing sample... But long story short: I have my 146 platinum, and i love it.

I modified the nib myself to make it a bit wetter and a cursive italic. Its the perfect pen for myself (because i did the grind.. lol)

And one of the reasons why I got the 146 instead of another special edition was the 14k nib... That gives me the option to add flex through a nib meister (Mike it work or Nibs.com)

The point of the thread: Has anyone done so on their montblanc?

Pics for clicks.

16991673_10210689749054742_2136249309279

16819324_10210689671332799_6504675809161

16939359_10210689645132144_8009258738380

16831989_10210669808876250_3028369104563

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thygreyt

• Ghost Plane

• Pen Nut

• Valdair

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18k can be modified as evidenced by my medium stub by nibsmith/ Dan Smith. But flex can only be added to 14k.

I've only seen Mike and John (nibs.com) offer such modification to the nibs. I plan on sending it to Mike. He told me to not do it before March 4th, but I will be on a business trip until the 19th of March and there is no way I'll be on business without my precious writing tool.

The point of the thread is to see if anyone has had such modification done, and if not to have a record for future people who may want to.

Could you define flex from your standpoint? I don't really see much nib flex in your writing sample.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Mike is who I trust with my pens, but I'm not a fan of flex, so I can't answer beyond sending my darlings his direction when they don't perform to my satisfaction.

Nope haven't. But had vintage nibs 14k added flex by nibs.com and by G.M .. both very unsatisfactory. Don't expect any actual flex added to be of any use.

Even a 14k nib will not guaranteed you will get much flex, line variation after such said modification.

Only a steel dip nib that is made to flex, can afford you to flex writing. Over pressuring while trying to flex can only serve to damage your writing.

Flex writing is not ergonomics, not economic, exoteric and should always be done slowly, real slowly. I dislike the way it looks when written in a haste manner.

Having that in mind...http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/19498-Montblanc-142-Serviced-By-Fountainbel-OB-nib

Edited by _InkyFingers

Be interesting to see how it works out.

Nice pen. I've always thought of nibs from this generation of pens as some of MB's sturdiest nibs, with no flex and no variation - but built to last a lifetime. Just looking at it, you can see how solid it is.

I'm also not a great user of flex. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find some old MB steel nibs, which had a surprising amount of flex in them. Since I've started using them on a regular basisi, I'm starting to enjoy the sensation, so I can see where you're coming from with this desire.

I still prefer a straightforward (non flex) BB as my nib of choice.

Good luck.

I've been talking to Mike and we both agree the term flex is over used and misrepresentative. The pen will have "added flexibility", but I only want the extra line variation to ocurr on very specific occasions. Modern semi flex (such as noodlers) is as much line variation as I'm looking for.

I just want the extra variation to be possible and to be done on signatures and capital/ upper case letters. The cursive italic is just perfect for daily writing.

I'll send the pen and on Wednesday and on the mean time I'll use my "vintage" 149 (from the 70s) ... I'll miss the 146.

I don't understand why some people want adapt for their needs, things that not to fit. And it is not enough to buy a second pen for flexible writing ? Modern nib Montblanc will never be better than the vintage nib.

fpn_1488044149__234.jpg

fpn_1488044196__235.jpg

Mike It Work did the mod on this 149 that I had. Extended slit and additional hole.........bit more flex but nowt like the older stuff

fpn_1380723802__mb149ef.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hi,

I used to have the thought of letting John Mottishaw (Nibs.com) to add flex to my 149, however their 6 months waiting queue is too long for me to separate with my pen.

Please keep us update.

Yui

Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog 2016 Limited Edition 888 - M -> EF -> B

Armando Simoni Club Bologna Extra Arco Brown - MagicFlex

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 - F, BB, OBB

The pen leaves today to Mike's. I though of a goodbye picture... Its hard being a pen nerd.

16797846_10210728211656283_6599118433721

Looks like those three pens are stood to attention looking over a fellow MB whilst it lies in state :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 4 weeks later...

An update!!! Finally.

I made the expedited payment today, pen should find its way to me hopefully next week... Long way from la to FLA

I can't wait. The pen shall be a cursive italic with added flex.

I tried a nakaya "full flex" recently. I didn't love it... Any, and I mean any kind of pressure would open the tines. It was too soft. I wrote by merely holding the pen and letting the weight exert pressure, but with the nakaya I had to almost lift the pen to keep the tines closed.

Mine should require some concious, albeit small, effort to have it open. Will post a writing sample upon receipt.