Lamy To Go Brick & Mortar Only?

jmccarty3

This seems to be European-wide. 24papershop in the Netherlands is doing a sale and now I saw their message that they are excluded from selling Lamy anymore because of the lack of a physical store. I can understand them as this is probably a move against Amazon. Let em explain why: Amazon has become huge in the past years and can now set the prices as it likes. We have seen it with book editors and probably Amazon was trying to paly this trick on Lamy. Speculating here, but I would not be surprised.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• Chrissy

• dapprman

• Astronymus

How do they know if you have a brick and mortar store? Do they have agents travelling the world to check up?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They would ask for the address, length of time established, after which it is easy to compare public and business-related records, and to have a look with Google street view.

X

How do they know if you have a brick and mortar store? Do they have agents travelling the world to check up?

They could also check the local "yellow pages" via the internet. Every b&m business lists in the yp's, (both in print and electronic - usually done as a pkg. deal).

- Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

I'm noticing Lamy products popping up in little stationary store chains - Fabriano in

Italy, and Goods for the Study in NYC. Maybe Lamy is going for people who actually write, instead of only collectors. I think that's exciting - since Lamy is, by volume, one of the biggest pen manufacturers around, and they probably know the market and are expanding their footprint in a way that separates them from their pocket-jewelry competitors.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I noticed that McNally Jackson, an independent bookstore in NYC, is selling notebooks, paper, and Lamy 2000s and Safaris. They are between Greenwich Village and Little Italy.

Judging from a photo on their website, they have added inks and other products in the last year.

http://goodsforthestudy.mcnallyjacksonstore.com/

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

If lamy goes brick and mortar only, they'd lose 100% of their sales of the 2000 within at LEAST 200 miles of a major city, Seattle. The only two authorized lamy sellers, a stationary store in a japanese grocery and the UW bookstore, only carry lamy as expensive as the al-star. No CP1, no 2000, no studio, no dialog. It'd be absolutely idiotic.

But then again, Lamy is run by lizard people from the planet Zog. Who knows what those strange minds will actually do, they have made so many terrible decisions that it astounds me they manage to put out quality products, much less products at all.

Maybe they will crack down on small independent online marketplaces and instead just focus on places like jetpens, anderson pens, and goulet. But without goulet, I wouldn't own a single lamy product. So yeah.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

If lamy goes brick and mortar only, they'd lose 100% of their sales of the 2000 within at LEAST 200 miles of a major city, Seattle. The only two authorized lamy sellers, a stationary store in a japanese grocery and the UW bookstore, only carry lamy as expensive as the al-star. No CP1, no 2000, no studio, no dialog. It'd be absolutely idiotic.

But then again, Lamy is run by lizard people from the planet Zog. Who knows what those strange minds will actually do, they have made so many terrible decisions that it astounds me they manage to put out quality products, much less products at all.

Maybe they will crack down on small independent online marketplaces and instead just focus on places like jetpens, anderson pens, and goulet. But without goulet, I wouldn't own a single lamy product. So yeah.

Hi Honeybadgers, et al,

This issue was addressed in the Goulet/Waterman thread a week or so ago... actually, I do not think Lamy would lose that many sales (using your parameters)... customers would only shift to retailers who already operate B&M storefronts and also do mail-order... and there a lot of GOOD ones.

Fountain Pen Hospital; Vanness; Bertram's Ink Well; Anderson Pens and IIRC, JetPens also has a storefront.

I think it will go a lot harder on the Goulet's, (and the other internet-only retailers), than it will on Lamy; in fact, it could conceivably be to their benefit.

- Anthony

PS: The $64,000 question is what about the online only mega-sellers like Amazon... would they be cut-off, too? Or would you have to go through their second-party seller system, (those of whom also operate a B&M)? :unsure:

Edited by ParkerDuofold

My guess is it's also about taking out the growing number of online fake sellers out of the equation.