Lamy To Go Brick & Mortar Only?

jmccarty3

It is NOT a worldwide thing. I confirmed that we are not affected.

I am not sure if this is just a UK thing, or if any other countries/regions are affected. I did not get that information.

Good to know. :thumbup:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• mikey_abz

• Chrissy

• LizB

After reading Pure Pens UK website statement they also have a B&M presence yet they have been affected, bad craic :o

No Pure Pens said they had people popping in, not that they are brick and mortar. A number of the online retailers will allow people in by appointment (or by luck), but are still effectively shed/lock-up/warehouse operations.

As a customer, this drastically cuts my choices. B+M retailers are difficult for me to get to, and most have a poor selection compared to online retail - two or three colours of Safari, two Al-Star, and often no Studio or 2000s. It's a move in favour of a distribution method that may be becoming obsolete...

It's a bit like... well, if the BBC said it would only broadcast to people who still had black and white televisions.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I assume that the current online stores with B&M elements will still sell Lamy online, just that Lamy will no longer be supplying online-only retailers.

< supporter of small businesses including a couple listed above even though international purchases.

Lamy still listed elsewhere available online in UK including small businesses. Similar to Rachel's take on the possible reasoning, there have been several inquiries fielded here on Lamy Amazon purchases as questionable Lamy or not, and with issues. Perhaps this move is simply to address this to protect their product line, customers, and associate businesses?

Taking a step back here to understand the full story rather than guessing that upsets any business activity.

Also noting Rachel's positive comment on Pure Pens, hopefully they will renegotiate and soon return as a Lamy reseller. (all the best :-))

• 4 weeks later...

Good to know. :thumbup:

Not worldwide, but a Dutch online retailer got the same or a similar message from Lamy and will not be allowed to sell Lamy products anymore after April.

Not worldwide, but a Dutch online retailer got the same or a similar message from Lamy and will not be allowed to sell Lamy products anymore after April.

Well I mean as far as Goulet is concerned. Otherwise this is rather unfortunate.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

fpnibs in Spain has had the same problem apparently, in fact they're having a great discount on lamy pens right now if anyone is interested.

Bureau Direct have now posted that Lamy will NOT allow them to sell their high end pens any more, despite their drop in centre, though it looks like they can still sell the lower and mid ones (it appears just to affect the Imporium and Dialog models for them). From their website:

"Our sincere apologies. We have been informed by Lamy that we are not able to sell the Imporium or Dialog pens and must immediately remove them from our website. It was our understanding that as we now have a shop on site where pens can be tested out, that we were able to offer these pens. However, it seems this is not the case and sale of the pens is restricted online. We cannot offer a date for their availability so if you wish to purchase one of these pens, please contact Lamy (rc@lamy.de) to obtain details of UK stockists."

Seems to a foolish decision. And one that is ultimately reminiscent of another brand whose image I care not for. Good thing I have a 2000 already. I'll be reconsidering any further purchases of Lamy pens.

Not entirely clear what Lamy hope to achieve with this mess, but I'm certainly finding myself considerably less well-disposed towards the brand as a result. Good, reliable retailers are being mucked about apparently on a whim. Poor show.

Lamy, this decision is utter madness. How to ruin your business model in one crazy step!

What will you do when no-one buys your pens?

I love my 2K EF but have been underwhelmed by their recent offerings, especially the so-called high end ones. This is a company I could walk away from ... their new management doesn't understand the brand, as the recent LE 2K shows.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Lamy, this decision is utter madness. How to ruin your business model in one crazy step!

What will you do when no-one buys your pens?

Well one of their ideas is the promotion offered @ Goulets: "Buy the new Black Amber 2000 @ $590.00 & get a Makrolon 2000, value $159.20, for FREE!" I wonder how many people have been induced to take them up on this offer?

Lamy's only pen that looks halfway attractive to me is the Scala Glacier Blue Special Edition, and I still wouldn't buy one. The rest of their line . . . meh.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Just guessing...

I think Lamy is sold in many bookshops that also have a few fountainpens. And I guess these shops have complained that people come and try the pens, then walk out and buy online.

Second, this way they can much easier control the influx of fakes.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Second, this way they can much easier control the influx of fakes.

As this isn't a british thing anymore this would be my guess too.