Group Buy Ranga 3C With Jowo Medium Playing Up.

matteob

I have posted this in the group buy thread but will post this here too. I am really disappointed as this was quite an expensive purchase and everyone here goes on about JoWo but the pen is useless to write wity: really frustrating. I have flushed it and tried different inks but it still intermittently skips on the downward stroke as you can see here. I am not an expert and don't want to mess around with nibs. I will try another ink, this is Noodlers Britannia Blue.

ADDENDUM

Looks like it is the ink as others perform fine. Will check with a loupe once mine arrives. Are JoWos prone to Baby bottom?

http://www.picpaste.com/IMG_0305-2bDLeAP8.JPG

Sorry for link site saying file is too large.

Edited by matteob

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matteob

• Kelly G

• Noihvo

• woleizihan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've encountered this on many JOWO nibs and I think it has something to do with one's writing angle. I write at about 60° instead of 45° because I write fast and I could have better control of the pen that way. I also write with the left tine of the nib touching paper more comapred to the right tine. I normally find there's too much tipping material on the sides of the nib so whenyou write a down storke like the ones you have skipping, it's the tipping material on the side touching the paper and the slit in the middle of two tines does not really have contact with the paper and here comes the skipping. What I normally do is to modify the nib according to my writing angle by taking down some tipping material on the sides of the nib so the slit will always have contact with the paper according to my writing angle. It's mlre or less like a left oblique.

FWIW: I too purchased the group buy Ranga pens. I had mine threaded for JoWo nibs and I purchased my nibs from fpnibs.com because at the time I put in my order, the JoWo nibs were not available from Ranga. I've had no issue with these nibs thus far.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

FWIW: I too purchased the group buy Ranga pens. I had mine threaded for JoWo nibs and I purchased my nibs from fpnibs.com because at the time I put in my order, the JoWo nibs were not available from Ranga. I've had no issue with these nibs thus far.

fpnibs.com are fantastic: friendly, honest, and helpful. Pablo also grinds nibs; he charges very little and I have been delighted by the 3 nibs that he has left italic obliqued for me. [i have no idea if "obliqued" is even a verb but I guess you know what I mean].

Cheers,

David.

fpnibs.com are fantastic: friendly, honest, and helpful. Pablo also grinds nibs; he charges very little and I have been delighted by the 3 nibs that he has left italic obliqued for me. [i have no idea if "obliqued" is even a verb but I guess you know what I mean].

Cheers,

David.

Agreed. I bought two nibs for each pen, four total. Two are M nibs that were stubbed, if that's a word! Two are F. I am impressed with fpnibs.com and these JoWo nibs.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Thanks for all the replies I will try fpnibs if all else fails :) I have asked Mr Kandan for a fine replacement. I am a left hander but my style is 45 degree underwriter so mirror image of a right hander so that should not be an issue.

It is indeed babies bottom. I do write cursive as you can see here. I thought I had got to tge bottom of it with new inks (noodlers X feather then Diamine Sapphire Blue) but then it started to skip again. ait is affecting my enjoyment of the pen as I am just waiting for it to skip again. I checked it through a 20x loupe that ai just bought and now it is uninked I can see a slight curvature at the ends of the tines. I don't want to bugger around with grits as I don't know what I am doing so I am asking M.P Kandan to send another nib in fine not medium and see if that helps! I don't know what all the fuss is about with JoWo. This nib has the bb issue but is not as smooth as a Schmidt or Bock nib or even the Ambitious fine nib fitted to my Ranga eyedropper which has been a real surprize: probably the smoothest most reliable nib I have.

post-133135-0-92408800-1488118188_thumb.jpg

Edited by matteob