Sheaffer Balance Vs Esterbrook J

3nding

This is my first post on this forum and I need some advice from you senior guys.

I bought a Pilot Metropolitan with a fine tip and I've been bitten by the fountain pen bug. I've also bought some Jinhao x750s because why not.

Now I'm really looking for my first vintage pen. I have found a Sheaffer Balance 500 model with a fine nib and not white dot and an Esterbrook J with a 9556 nib at what seems to me like reasonable prices. But look like they are in relatively good condition and both have had their ink sacs changed. The Sheaffer is about 15 USD more expensive than the Esterbrook.

So what do you guys think? Is the Esterbrook better suited to a newbie like me? Is the Sheaffer worth the extra 15$?

Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by 3nding

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3nding

• Sandy1

• ink-syringe

• siamackz

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. On the Sheaffer, the 500 was a price code and several different models sold at that price. Personally I would choose the Sheaffer BUT the Esterbrook offers you an easy way to try out a brazilion different nibs to see what you like best. Being new, I'd suggest the Estie just cause there are so many different nibs you can explore pretty cheaply.

Hi Jar,

Thanks for the quick response! My only concern with the Esties is that I live in Canada and spare nibs seem pretty expensive here. I haven't been able to find anything below 30$ or so on ebay, whatever the nib model I looked for. Is that to be expected for Esterbrook nibs or is it just more expensive here? I shoud also mention that I intend to use the pen mostly just for conventional writing like doing math, physics, writing papers and so on, but I am still interested in maybe trying nibs just for the fun of it even though things like calligraphy and such are not the intended use for me. And should maybe also add that I am really looking for a good writer that will be reliable and suitable for most uses, an all around everyday pen with that little vintage something something.

Edited by 3nding

I have two Sheaffer Balances and an Esterbrook LJ.

The Sheaffer balance nibs on both pens are remarkable writers- very smooth and a pleasure to use. My 500 has the visualated section so you can see how much ink is left which is a really useful feature.

My LJ experience has been a bit more frustrating- the pen originally had a cheap fine point nib which was very scratchy and unpleasant and I have been through several other fine point nibs (I don't remember the exact numbers) which were equally unpleasant. I now have a medium 9460 nib which is MUCH smoother and more pleaseant....the line width of the medium is not that much different than the fine point of my Balance 500.

Still, I would recommend the Sheaffer over the Estie if that's your choice.

As others said, I think you would find the Sheaffer a better-built, more beautiful pen. The Esti is attractive, and it does have interchangeable nib units that just screw in and out. But the good ones, the 9xxx series, are expensive. Some of the less expensive 2xxx nibs are also good writers if they aren't worn out or mistreated, but they are more variable in the wild. Two pens with quite different characters: you are probably doomed to own both at some point anyway, so maybe you should just give in and get both of them now.

ron

Neither pen would be bad. One thing to consider is that, although Esterbrook nibs can indeed be swapped out easily, the 9556 may not be the nicest one to write with. I find mine a bit over-fine, and prefer the 9668 and 9788. So your price saving could be lost in buying another nib if you find you don't like the 9556. Then again, it may suit you better than it suits me. The Sheaffer would have a gold nib, which if it's in good condition should be nicer than any Esterbrook nib, but of course, I don't know what condition it's in.

Personally, these days I'm more likely to use one of my vintage Sheaffer's than one of my Esterbrooks, but I'm glad I've tried both.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

The only two good things about the Esterbrook pens is that you can change nibs easily, and you can also restore them easily. I have at least two dozen Esterbrooks in J series, M2 squeeze fillers, Safari pump fillers and a number of nibs in fine, extra fine, medium, broad, italic, oblique and stub types. The nibs are starting to get a bit expensive, and the more interesting ones are relatively expensive. The Esterbrook is a good moderate quality pen.

The Sheaffer is a much better made pen. The nibs on Sheaffer pens are generally far better than Esterbrook. They are smoother. For the price difference, the Sheaffer would be preferable. Some day in the future you might become curious enough to try Esterbrook. I would recommend leaving it out there a ways.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It doesn't matter because you will eventually buy both, I promise. They are both pieces of history you will want in your collection.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

This is a tough call because I love both brands and their vintage pens. But Sheaffer was one of the big 4 in the Golden Age of fountain pens. I love their innovation: military clips, conical nibs, inlaid nibs, touchdown fillers, snorkels--all from the same manufacturer. Their vintage pens are amazing to write with, and even though my vintage Sheaffers have small reservoirs, they get great mileage and write.

The Esterbrook is the perfect working pen. It's rugged, reliable, easy to repair or restore, and disassembles in seconds. The changeable nibs are fantastic.

If I was only going to get one, I'd go with the Sheaffer.

Buzz

Sheaffer Balance, no matter what size or model is just going to crush kill destroy any Esterbrook J.

I have 3 or 4 Esterbrooks and enjoy them, esp. the 9xxx nibs. But I also have 4 or 5 Balance pens from the Balance Admiral to the Premier. The Balance is a vastly superior pen.

</personal_opinon>

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Thank you all for the great tips. I went with the Sheaffer because of all the good points you've made above. It really seems like a fun but practical pen. And like siamackz and pajaro said, chances are I will end up with both someday (pen addiction is a serious thing) although my current budget doesn't allow it. For now, the Sheaffer seems like a great companion for studying. Thanks again for the good advice!

I've got an Esterbrook J with a 9048 nib, and a Sheaffer Balance 500 fine with a military clip. There's no comparison between the two to me, although both are more than adequate writers.

The Sheaffer has one of the best nibs I've ever touched; smooth, soft and springy.

I think you'll like your new Sheaffer very well for a long time.

Depends on how pretty your Esterbrook is :headsmack: .....if black...get the Sheaffer.

Red I think there are 2 (had 0), 4 or so blues (had four but some were similar color just different sizes) could be more, 5 greens (had two)....and I once had 5 of the 8 grays, and a Copper. That is not all the colors. You do want 1940-60, not worth chasing the ugly look like all the other fountain pens after 1960.

Gray is a color to grow on, in they are the most subtle of the colors...IMO.

I never chased white either. Then there are Doctor pens....and so on.

You could import nibs from the states, and pay less if they are asking $30 a nib in Canada. The think to look out for is Osmiroid Italic nib set :thumbup: from English Ebay, they fit the Estie. I now only have two Esties, a blue LJ, the smallest and thinnest....(SJ I think is next) and the Standard sized Copper DJ...9668.

On second thought get the Sheaffer.....you won't get evolved with having the basic 8-16 Esties. And then searching for 'Icicles'.

Do go over to the Esterbrook sub-section and :puddle: over some light, nimble and built like a tank Esterbrooks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi,

Ah me!, can't you ask an easier question? :)

As a daily work horse I'd pick the Estie. I have a Red J, and when I use it my minions cower in fear that it is loaded with Red ink - all the better to point-out their errors. I'd also feel more comfortable about posting the cap. And the ability to swap-out nibs is a big plus.

(If you want to see samples from some Estie nibs, search my content in the Ink Review Forum, where I've listed the four numeral designation, which can be used as a searchword.)

I'm an absolute sucker for Sheaffer FeatherTouch nibs as they suit my hand so well - OooLaLa. Their appearance is exquisite. (I lean towards the ones with nickel furniture.) So if used for personal personal writing, the 500.

Part of the thing is that the Estie nib+feed units are fixed, for better or worse, while the Sheaffer requires that the nib+feed be properly set-up, so choose your Vendor wisely.

'nuf said, though there's more to say...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The Sheaffer should be delivered sometime in the next two weeks so I will keep you posted on how I like it. I hadn't noticed at first (blame it on the noobeness) but the nib is a 5-30 so it seems the pen was produced sometime between 1929 and 1933, which I find very cool thinking quantum mechanics was just getting started at the time.

Also, I had a question about inks for the Sheaffer. Right now I am using Waterman Intense Black in a bottle and enjoyed the Namiki Black Cartridges that came with my Pilot Metro. Will the Waterman be suitable for the Sheaffer or should I purchases something else?

Finally, if some of you guys ever have a decent shape Estie J with a fine to medium 9xxx (and not in black) , for sell for not too much you know where to find me ;)

The Sheaffer should be delivered sometime in the next two weeks so I will keep you posted on how I like it. I hadn't noticed at first (blame it on the noobeness) but the nib is a 5-30 so it seems the pen was produced sometime between 1929 and 1933, which I find very cool thinking quantum mechanics was just getting started at the time.

Also, I had a question about inks for the Sheaffer. Right now I am using Waterman Intense Black in a bottle and enjoyed the Namiki Black Cartridges that came with my Pilot Metro. Will the Waterman be suitable for the Sheaffer or should I purchases something else?

Finally, if some of you guys ever have a decent shape Estie J with a fine to medium 9xxx (and not in black) , for sell for not too much you know where to find me ;)

Waterman should be fantastic.

Google "Esterbrook J on etsy"

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

My best estie is a black one.

My favorite nib (of the ones I have) is the 9668 which is a nice generous medium with a mild stubbish aspect to it.

Still will take the Sheaffer Admrial Balance over that every day of the week and twice on Sundays but the full size J and a 9xxx nib is a pretty nice piece of kit. & easy to clean.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Hi,

As for inks, I don't use Black, so kindly consider the Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black which suits routine grist for the mill.

If you're feeling more convivial or for a letter resigning your position, then Pelikan Eidelstein Topaz.

I await your impressions when you have the pen in you warm welcoming grasp. Oh, the ebonite feed+collector may take a few days after the pen is inked-up to be in top form.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.