• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guardy

• inkstainedruth

• ksm

• WJM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sailor Irori has been my go-to pure red ink for a while now, but your pen reminds me of Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki - more orange than red though. Maybe writing in the background is playing tricks on my eyes?

Who knows your preference better than you ? Go to Gouletpens.com and look over the ink charts.

I have found them to be very realistic.

DeAtramentis, Diamine, and Private Reserve inks tend to be heavily saturated in color.

Thing is, I only truly realized that there are more inks than just the Pelikan 4001 stuff sometime last summer, so I'm not sure if I do know my own preferences :')

That's why I'm asking - I know my way around fountain pens, have been using them since I was 6 years old... but ink is almost completely terra incognita for me.

Shouldn't be too hard. Here is a UK store that stocks it and Empire Red is made for the UK:

http://www.purepens.co.uk/acatalog/Waterproof-Inks-Mixed-Colours.html

!!!!!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention - last time I checked, they were basically completely out of stock (Noodler's being Noodler's, I guess?) and I completely forgot to check back afterwards.

Sailor Irori has been my go-to pure red ink for a while now, but your pen reminds me of Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki - more orange than red though. Maybe writing in the background is playing tricks on my eyes?

I think my photo has a bit of an orange tinge - must've been the lighting. The pen's actually a very bright fire-engine red. Fuyu-gaki looks lovely, though - I'll have to buy a bottle of that eventually.

Apart from that, Diamine Strawberry Red and Sheaffer Skrip Red do seem like solid choices - guess I'm off to read some more reviews now.

Thanks, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

When some years ago I got an idea to try a red ink, Pelikan was my first try (since Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black is the ink I use almost exclusively). That turned out to be a mistake.

After that I tried Sheaffer Skrip Red, and looked no further, that was definitely it.

Edited by WJM

When some years ago I got an idea to try a red ink, Pelikan was my first try (since Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black is the ink I use almost exclusively). That turned out to be a mistake.

After that I tried Sheaffer Skrip Red, and looked no further, that was definitely it.

I can imagine. As much as I love Pelikan inks (blbk is my all-time favorite), their red is a terrifying, horrendously ugly monstrosity that completely refuses to clean out of most pens to boot. Made me steer away from red inks in general for years. I also have a creeping suspicion that it likes to munch on piston seals - or used to, at least.

I've heard some rumors about Skrip Red having been reformulated into something much less red while looking at ink reviews on here. Might just be hearsay, but did anybody start a new bottle of Skrip Red lately and can confirm or deny that?

I can imagine. As much as I love Pelikan inks (blbk is my all-time favorite), their red is a terrifying, horrendously ugly monstrosity that completely refuses to clean out of most pens to boot. Made me steer away from red inks in general for years. I also have a creeping suspicion that it likes to munch on piston seals - or used to, at least.

I've heard some rumors about Skrip Red having been reformulated into something much less red while looking at ink reviews on here. Might just be hearsay, but did anybody start a new bottle of Skrip Red lately and can confirm or deny that?

Similarly here. Some time ago I decided to try green and brown and Pelikan Dark Green and Brilliant Brown turned out to be very satisfying (well, the brown could be a little darker, but it's still very good). What is the reason that their red is so bad is a mystery to me.

As for Sheaffer. that would be unfortunate. Can't help though, I didn't buy one recently. I very rarely use red, the bottle I bought a few years ago is still more than half full.

Edited by WJM

Late last year I've managed to get a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Garnet. It is red, neither too pink, nor too orange.

If you can order from US, then Noodler's Fox Red is very good choice. Vivid red colour and unparalleled permanence.

I've seen KWZI Thief's Red. It is bright, eye catching, but it leans toward orange.

Late last year I've managed to get a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Garnet. It is red, neither too pink, nor too orange.

If you can order from US, then Noodler's Fox Red is very good choice. Vivid red colour and unparalleled permanence.

I've seen KWZI Thief's Red. It is bright, eye catching, but it leans toward orange.

I love Edelstein Garnet. I used it exclusively for a year & managed to get 1 more bottle. I have stocked up on cartridges. I believe there are still some cartridges available.

Concerning the Diamine inks: Does anybody know how Poppy, Matador and Wild Strawberry compare to each other? The scans are all over the place for those ones, and they look identical more often than not...

I own the Poppy Red and the Wild Strawberry. They are very close, the Wild Strawberry leans just a tiny bit more towards orange. It is a tough job to distinguish them. I do not have personal experience with the Matador but the images available on-line show it should be noticeably darker.

Edited by vojtahlad

I love Edelstein Garnet. I used it exclusively for a year & managed to get 1 more bottle. I have stocked up on cartridges. I believe there are still some cartridges available.

Actually I do not use this ink (my wife uses it for grading)...

There is a shop in Poland that shows two bottles available.

(Two bottles are not mentioned on their page, but they offer two bottles on Polish e-bay analogue).

Standard Disclaimer: I do not have any connection to the shop I've mentioned before, I bought a bottle of Pelikan Garnet from them in 2016.

A close second would be Akkerman #19 Rood Haags Pluche (Plush Red).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

This.

Edited by TSherbs

I searched for a radiant red and it is on its wat to me this week:

Akkerman Chinatown Red

Through my eyes it is the reddest red.

I'm slightly surprised that no-one has suggested Diamine Red Dragon yet.

I've never used it, but from the review pics I've seen on here, its colour seems to match y ddraig goch (which is the dragon on the flag of Wales) :-)

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

From HalloweenHJB

fpn_1417471911__red_inks-1.jpeg

fpn_1417471927__red_inks-2.jpeg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY