Twsbi Eco Feed Oversaturated/leaking From Nib

TonyTeaBags

I received my new medium nibbed ECO a week ago. It is a wonderfully designed and engineered pen, and I'm very happy with its design and material choice. Very well done overall. Just one slight annoyance...

After filling in accordance with instructions, that is, carefully wiping the nib so that the feed was not overly saturated and the air channel was clear, I noticed that the feed was indeed filling to overcapacity. The flow was very heavy and a drip of ink would form on the feed.

I'm using Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, but I tried Sheaffer Skrip Blue and experienced the same behavior. For the life of me, I couldn't see the problem. I pulled the piston, re-greassed it with silicone, and checked the seal for leaks. None found. I pulled the nib and feed, checked for manufacturing flaws and fit, then cleaned and re-set the nib and feed correctly. No help; still the same behavior. This was making me crazy.

Something was happening to the delicate balance of ink and air exchange causing the ink to leak from the nib. The ECO has a clear, one piece barrel and section. Very well designed, and fortuitous in that I could see everything that was happening to the ink flow. So, using the adhesion properties of glass to ink, I held the nib to the edge of the ink bottle and allowed the ink to flow from the pen into the bottle along the surface of the glass. As the reservoir was emptying, I could see air passing around the outside of the feed, between the feed and section chamber, around the outside of the stem, and bubble into the reservoir. AH HA! I got you.

Now, I'm reasonably sure that my problem is the seal between the feed and the section even though it was a nice, tight fit. I sealed the fit with some silicone grease to test my hypothesis, and was rewarded with limited success. Limited in that, although at first the feed did not overfill, after a short while I could see the air working its way through the seal. The problem returned slowly, but I was sure of my hypothesis. I suppose that if the reservoir was smaller, the grease alone would've sufficed. To resolve this problem in this pen, I needed a gasket.

I cut a paper gasket from thin copy paper, in the form of a disk, the same diameter of the feed. In the center of this tiny disc was a hole to accommodate the feed stem. I impregnated my newly formed gasket with silicone grease and placed it on the top of the feed, with the feed stem passing through the hole in the gasket. I had to be very careful not to get any grease into the feed channel or I would play hell trying to get it out of there. I put a little extra grease on the top of the gasket and re-set the nib and feed.

The pen now writes beautifully, well behaved, smooth, reliable and consistent. The feed is well saturated, but not overly so, and the air channels stay clear. I can't say for sure that I have fixed the problem until I have gone through a few fills, but early observation looks promising. I really like the pen, and already have bought another. At least now I'll be ready!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonyTeaBags

• timjthomas

• Jamerelbe

• nanders9

The only issue I've had with my TWSBI's had been drip drip after I fill them. I make sure and wipe the section and nib clean after fill. Then, I actually dab the feed to get it's excessive ink. If it stops again, one more dab of the feed and no more problem.

Peace and Understanding

@TonyTeaBags if you're happy with your solution that's fine I guess - but it sounds to me like a manufacturing defect that you're having to correct for. In your shoes I'd be tempted to ask for a refund or exchange, if the company you purchased from is able to accommodate that. I have 3 Ecos, and none of them exhibit the behaviour you're describing.

@TonyTeaBags if you're happy with your solution that's fine I guess - but it sounds to me like a manufacturing defect that you're having to correct for. In your shoes I'd be tempted to ask for a refund or exchange, if the company you purchased from is able to accommodate that. I have 3 Ecos, and none of them exhibit the behaviour you're describing.

Thanks, Jamerelbe.

I thought about returning it; I'm sure that Goulet Pens would've taken care of me. But the pen's nib is outstanding, and the pen is cheap enough to consider that shipping costs would be a substantial percentage of the total worth of the pen. (Why pay $37 for a $29 pen?)

I agree that there is a manufacturing flaw somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find it. So far, the pen now behaves flawlessly and I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the performance info of your 3 pens, that relieves me from concern over the condition of the ECO I just ordered.

I've never had my TWSBI drip ink. Dripping ink makes me think you have an air leak somewhere. There may be a tiny crack in the section or somewhere esle. It could also be a bad piston seal. Never use silicone grease to create a seal between the section and the feed. If you get that stuff on the feed, ink won't flow at all, and the stuff is notiriously difficult to clean off of a feed once it gets on there. Silicone grease is not a sealant, it's a lubricant, and it should never be used to create a seal between the feed and the section.

Sounds like you just have a defective pen. I would press the vendor for a replacement, or failing that, TWSBI directly.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Thanks, Jamerelbe.

I thought about returning it; I'm sure that Goulet Pens would've taken care of me. But the pen's nib is outstanding, and the pen is cheap enough to consider that shipping costs would be a substantial percentage of the total worth of the pen. (Why pay $37 for a $29 pen?)

I agree that there is a manufacturing flaw somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find it. So far, the pen now behaves flawlessly and I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the performance info of your 3 pens, that relieves me from concern over the condition of the ECO I just ordered.

It's funny I should read your post, I agree with you in every aspect. I have the same problem but the pen is just so dang great otherwise. My solution may sound silly, but what I do is simply fill the pen about 90% and then pull it out and crank away the rest of the piston up. The bit of air in the chamber stopped the problem the first try. I was impressed that it worked. Maybe we're filling it too much?

Hope this helps.

Edited by Tom_Moritz

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

It's funny I should read your post, I agree with you in every aspect. I have the same problem but the pen is just so dang great otherwise. My solution may sound silly, but what I do is simply fill the pen about 90% and then pull it out and crank away the rest of the piston up. The bit of air in the chamber stopped the problem the first try. I was impressed that it worked. Maybe we're filling it too much?

Hope this helps.

An appropriate observation and solution, and one that I tried almost immediately. Not silly at all. Unfortunately, I had no luck.

I've since refilled the pen after writing through the entire first fill. I refilled it normally, that is, without any special consideration other than wiping the nib and clearing the air channel. No leaks, no over saturation, and writes like a charm. I'm convinced that there is an anomaly in the way the feed fits into the section.

In any case, the pen is fixed and writes beautifully.

I had this happen to my Eco once as well. The ink was literally flowing out and into the cap (yay). I just took the pen apart, cleaned it, and haven't had an issue since. I think the nib or feed must have been seated funny.

I had the same issue with my Eco last year and couldn't for the life of me figure out was wrong. TWSBI sent me a free replacement barrel but wanted me to pay to have them send a feed (which I asked for first) so I just returned the whole thing in frustration. Now that I see someone else had the same issue I think I'm actually more likely to buy one again. I was feeling paranoid that I was doing something wrong or that it was just normal behavior for ECOs and that I was just expecting too much. Knowing that it's just a manufacturing issue that isn't common gives me some confidence to buy another.

I just have my ECO at Dec 2016 and I have a problem is the EF nib will come out of the pen 3 ~ 4 times while I writing a letter size page.

End up I put a plastic tape on top of the nib to make the nib fix in the pen and not come out anymore.

The friction fit of the ECO is not very good and it may be the reason of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

I've just purchased my first TWSBI (EF ECO) and have the same issue - the feed chamber become full of ink. So, it looks like I will have to try your approach. A couple of questions for you:

• How often do you suppose you'll have to replace the paper gasket?
  • Did you put a bit of silicone grease on both sides of the gasket?

Thanks,

-Tim

Hello, Tim.

Troubleshooting the problem gave me fits, but the gasket worked for me. I needed just one gasket. The silicone I used I bought at a hardware store years ago. I'm sure it is still available, as it is a plumber's lube. Small container, an ounce or so for peanut change. But it is thick, like vaseline, and should say "99% pure silicone".

Still on the same gasket after two fills, and no indication deterioration. As to grease placement, it was trial and error, as you will soon discover. In the end, I had to make a couple of attempts at getting the correct 'fit', and I was really careful to keep the sealant away from the feed groove. Anal, in fact.

So far? So good!

Good luck,

Tony

Thanks Tony. I have grease from Goulet as well as TWSBI, so should be good there. I'll put a bit on both sides of the paper gasket, but keep it away from the hole.

I presume I only need a hole in the gasket for the stem and not a wedge shaped piece cut out to match the groove?

Yes, that's what I did, Tim. Just a tiny round hole to accomodate the stem. I hope it fixes your problem, because if this ECO suits you, you'll love it.

I'm using Sheaffer Skrip blue in mine, and it is a very nice pen for any amount of money. I guess that the manufacturing choices can include cheaper materials, or more broad manufacturing tolerances, or both, but this pen, for $29 US, is a reliable, well made piston filler that boasts an inner cap and a high quality steel nib that can be maintained by the end user. I don't see how TWSBI can do it.

Anyway, best of luck with your repair.

Tony

Thanks Tony!

Sadly it did not work for me. I was really hoping it would work. I love the feel of the ECO and the way it writes. TWSBI is sending me a new nib, so perhaps that would work. If not, I will send it back, and perhaps by another -- but I'm not sure.

I am disappointed that so many people seem to be having similar issues.

-Tim

Thanks Tony!

Sadly it did not work for me. I was really hoping it would work. I love the feel of the ECO and the way it writes. TWSBI is sending me a new nib, so perhaps that would work. If not, I will send it back, and perhaps by another -- but I'm not sure.

I am disappointed that so many people seem to be having similar issues.

-Tim

I don't think it's fair to say that "so many" people have similar issues with the ECO: the (normally) silent majority (like me) have no issues at all with them!

That said, I'm glad you contacted TWSBI - they *do* have a few too many problem pens slip through their QA process, and it's good that they're willing to set things straight. My general advice to *anyone* on this thread would be, if you've bought a new pen from TWSBI (or any other manufacturer) and it's problematic out of the box... take advantage of their warranty provisions, and *ask* for a repair / replacement!

You are correct, it was a stretch to say "so many". (There are quite a few threads with people having issues.)

It is simply disappointing to purchase something that fails immediately. I had hoped for better quality control.

I guess I have to agree. I suppose that if that fix didn't work for me, I would've had to take other action. When I started this thread, I just wanted to pass along my experience. I suppose, Tim, it was worth a shot.

The second ECO that I bought works very well, no problems at all.

From what I read, one should have no trouble with executing the warranty and getting a pen that works from TWSBI.

Good luck.

Sometimes a tiny little thing can make a huge difference.

Do you wipe the nib after filling? I had one pen which would just dump ink even tho there were no cracks, nib&feed were seated properly...

Wiping the nib and letting some ink out helped - not a single burp ever since...

https://www.twsbi.com/blogs/news/50962051-eco-fountain-pen-reminder

Mishka

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect