Franklin-Christoph's Steel Vs 14K Gold Nib

Pendimonium

I notice a significant difference between the Steel and 14k nibs from F-C.

It's not a lot, but it's noticeable. There's some added softness and some added spring with the 14K and IMO it feels better than any Steel Jowo I've used because of that. It's a little more forgiving.

My Pilot 14K is smoother and with more flex, but that nib is one of the best in the world so... is what it is.

After trying the 14K I don't really want to go back to Steel Jowo nibs.

It makes me want to try the Jowo 18k which is supposed to be even softer, though with less flex.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• Pendimonium

• Karmachanic

• Bo Bo Olson

The difference in softness in a Jowo 14k vs steel is marginal. I have both. If you are after noticable softness,/spring you have three options. FC can add softness to a 14k nib for $115 above the cost of the nib. FPnibs can make you a 14k semi-flex for $225 or so. Or you can buy a Bock Titanium for around $75.

Softness = glorious shading and a luxurious writing experience.

I have three Bock Ti nibs and one FPnibs14k semi-flex. I don't own an FC pen but have long been eyeballing the Marietta. Should the day come that I purchase, I'll get it with a standard steel nib and replace it with Ti.

My subjective experience.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Well, yah, if you're comparing the nib to semi flex and bock titanium nibs I can see how the relative comparison may be perceived as marginal.

I personally don't prefer semi-flex. I need something with a little more rigidity yet softness. I do like the 14k Pilot nibs as well as the Lamy nibs, and the Jowo 14k is in the lower end of that differentiating interval of softness, but from my experience is a very different nib from the Jowo steel nibs and though the difference may not be a lot, it is still significant.

But I do agree, that if someone was looking for a bigger jump in softness they may not get it from the 14k Jowo. It is lovely, but not quite to that level of luxuriousness.

Hey Mongoosey!

Well. That being the case you may want to look into Bock. I've not tried their 14k as yet, but their steel is noticably softer than Jowo. I believe the same holds true for gold.

Hey Mongoosey!

Well. That being the case you may want to look into Bock. I've not tried their 14k as yet, but their steel is noticably softer than Jowo. I believe the same holds true for gold.

I'll definitely keep that in mind as it's been something I've recently looked into. Thank you for the suggestion.

I really like the upgrade from a Jowo Steel to the Jowo 14k for now, especially since I love the Ranga Pen it fits into.

To me, the 14k Jowo doesn't quite feel up to par with what you get from a Pilot Gold nib, but it's more as if I was looking for the best Steel nib imaginable: Then that 14K Jowo would be it by a long shot.

And that is reminiscent of what you were saying in how the steel and gold Jowo aren't very different, and I agree, but for me, they're different enough to break through that threshold past that sometimes "pain in the @$$" rigidity I feel the steel jowo's limit me with.

I could order a Ranga that could take a Bock and order a gold Bock nib separately to have it worked on by Masuyama, which was my next potential plan of action.

But nibs.com's Eboya Fountain Pens (ebonite) really caught my eye recently, and they do come with Gold Bock nibs. At that price I would consider the Pilot Custom 823, but I prefer a European Medium, I use Kiwa-Guro which tames the line width anyways, I don't like the Pilot Gold Broad nibs, and I do love ebonite.

So I'll probably hone in on the Eboya Fountain Pen next with a Gold Bock M.

So I'll probably hone in on the Eboya Fountain Pen next with a Gold Bock M.

Eboya Natsume? An expensive Ranga Model 3!

Bear in mind that Bock nibs fit on Jowo feeds. So you could put a 14k Bock on your existing Ranga. A steel Bock may be softer than a 14k Jowo. An inexpensive experiment.

Not to talk you out of an Eboya!

Edited by Karmachanic

Eboya Natsume? An expensive Ranga Model 3!

Bear in mind that Bock nibs fit on Jowo feeds. So you could put a 14k Bock on your existing Ranga. A steel Bock may be softer than a 14k Jowo. An inexpensive experiment.

Not to talk you out of an Eboya!

No, of course not. I've had the pleasure of experiencing how a Bock Steel is springier than a 14K Jowo.

But I also unfortunately experienced problems with steel Bock nibs and have since remained hesitant unless I use one in a pen with a Bock housing. And I'm further hesitant about a Gold Bock nib unless I can have a nibmeister look at it.

I do prefer how the 14k Gold Jowo feels over the Steel Bock nibs. I felt the gold add a touch of softness to it and it was pretuned, which helps a lot.

I don't mind saving for the Eboya. I'm honestly a 1 fountain pen/1 ink user (Kiwa-Guro), I prefer Ebonite by far, and I know what dimensions I prefer...

...so my list of pens to get is very small and I have no interest in trying new inks.

My plan was to hone in on a customized design I prefer from Ranga, which I have, then get that with a Jowo and Bock nib housing, and upgrade each eventually to a gold nib. I prefer the feel of gold nibs even if the steel nib is more flexible.

If I do pick up a Ranga-Bock pen I'd upgrade it to a Gold Bock nib and send it to Masuyama and by that time it's only about $100 less than an Eboya from nibs.com tuned by Mottishaw so I may just wait and get the Eboya, which really hits the bullseye for my preferences.

Edited by Mongoosey

If only they made it in matte black with rhodium trim!

Guess it's a Ranga Model 3 for me.

If only they made it in matte black with rhodium trim!

Guess it's a Ranga Model 3 for me.

Well I don't blame you. My customized Rangas are shortened Model 3's.

The Model 3 is my mainstay. I've been experimenting with what section shape works best for me.

I have 1 with a Designer section shape. It's good, but not my favorite.

I have 2 more that are on they way with 1 that has the original section and the other 1 that's the Davenport (since the Davenport is basically the Model 3-shortened with some variations). I like these two the most.

Depending on which section I like the most, I'll order that one again with a Bock nib housing.

Re: the original question concerning F-C/JoWo steel vs. gold nib.

I sold a F-C pen with an 18c unmarked JoWo 0.9 stub (sourced from Classic FP, no affiliation) beautifully ground by Pendleton Brown.

My first F-C pen had a F-C/JoWo M stainless nib.

Though both the steel & gold JoWo nibs were nails IMHO, the 18K "seemed" a little softer, perhaps more because of the stub's grind that the nib's material.

If you have a #6 JoWo 14c nib, it may be softer. It certainly is nicer looking.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Re: the original question concerning F-C/JoWo steel vs. gold nib.

I sold a F-C pen with an 18c unmarked JoWo 0.9 stub (sourced from Classic FP, no affiliation) beautifully ground by Pendleton Brown.

My first F-C pen had a F-C/JoWo M stainless nib.

Though both the steel & gold JoWo nibs were nails IMHO, the 18K "seemed" a little softer, perhaps more because of the stub's grind that the nib's material.

If you have a #6 JoWo 14c nib, it may be softer. It certainly is nicer looking.

I've heard that the 18k is firm and not flexible, but softer and wetter.

The 14k, from what I hear, is less soft than the 18k, but springier... slightly,... though softer than a steel.

When I try to adjust the tines on a steel jowo it is very rigid, but on the 14k, the tines are much easer to adjust. The Gold Jowo's are still firm, but the Steel Jowo's Extra Firm and true nails

I have 4 FC pens. 5 steel and 1 gold nibs. Gold is a bit springier than the steel ones.It also looks nicer.

But all are smooth and great, especially the Masuyamas.

Softness = glorious shading and a luxurious writing experience."""""

Could well be regular flex.....for better shading with a shading ink....in it's dryer than semi-flex.

Semi-flex will give more and better line variation, but requires a much better match of ink and paper to shade as well as it gives line variation.

Some times folks coming from nail and semi-nail think regular flex to be semi-flex because it is so much softer than a nail or semi-nail & the tines bend and spread :yikes:.................Nope....missing ease of tine bend and spread.

When well mashed will spread it's tines to 3X...semi-nail to 2X nail don't spread it's tines at all ... 1X.

Then I read where the unmodified Falcon is rated by some with out semi-flex pens as semi-flex. B)

It is a 'springy nib' like the modern MB or the great Lamy Imperum. The Lamy is better IMO in the Springy nib department than MB...and the Falcon. A 'Springy' nib has good tine bend...but Only 2 X tine spread.

The Pilot with the Factory chopped and modified nib is semi-flex (Now the only factory semi-flex made nib and it had to be modified ground to be that)....those with out that mod are at best Springy nibs.

Semi-flex has good tine bend and 3 X tine spread vs a light down stroke (with half the pressure of a regular flex)............that difference between 2 and 3 X is bigger than it sounds. Real semi-flex is not a ground with half moons or other grinds...it is as it was designed with the alloy needed to give good spring and tine spread....in steel or gold. I have vintage semi-flex that is entirely equal in steel to gold or vice versa. ...

Softer gold to me is a myth. I see it as someone comparing a steel nail to a gold semi-nail....in my gold nails are as hard and un-giving as any steel nail I have.

Semi-flex is regular flex ++. It is soft ++.

I've some 28 semi-flex and 16 maxi-semi-flex.....soft +++. :D

There is still a 'big' difference between maxi and superflex according to my half/half flex chart. Which I'm glad for....super flair and a bit of flexi charm if I want it, with out having to learn how to write.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a couple of Franklin-Christoph Masuyama 18K stubs that are awesome writers. On the other hand, I also have a F-C XLV with a steel broad nib that is also among my favorite writers. It writes as nicely as my Masuyama nibs, just not as springy. I bought it from Anderson recently when they featured their exclusive F-C XLV Aqua Demonstrator. That one is one of my absolute favorite pens. I enjoy it as much as my Pelikans! I got lucky with this one. Don't know if all of F-C steel broad nibs are as nice since I don't have another one. But I will probably get another one down the road and find out.