Bullet Journal Story On Pbs

bogiesan

Nightly Business Report, 2017.02.21.

Very shallow and short report, superficial interview with BuJo creator, dumb.

Don't waste your time unless you're a big bullet fan.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• bogiesan

• Witsius

• BradGad

I started a bullet journal this week. I do wish there were another name for this endeavor. I've kept a written journal for 23 years. The two documents bear no resemblance. Bullet-journaling is antithetical to what I and most people I know are talking about when we talk about journaling. Bullet journal variations that I've seen online are loaded with lists, some of which seem bullet-journalish/DIY life-coachish (e.g., books to read, restaurants to try, "I want to learn to _____" ) but many do not. I'm trying to keep mine true to the original concept, a planner on steroids. It is to the journal what a lightning bug is to lightning.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Bookman, I'm ambivalent about BuJo too... but I do find it has a place in my omni-journal.

I like your Twain-ish comparison!

I put *everything* in my Seven Seas journal, so for now, the bullet journal apparatus goes there too. I use an accent color of ink and some repeated layouts to make it visually obvious that this is just planner stuff I'm keeping in my always-at-hand notebook, not real journaling.

I like what Vicky Bee says on YouTube about the heart of journaling is being open to being open and candid with yourself. It's either in this one or in her video about bonding with your journal.

(

) Edited by BradGad

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

Bullet journaling isn't really for me either. I know that some people find it valuable, but for me it seems like a solution looking for a problem. A planner seems totally sufficient to keep tasks and goals organized. But, if someone finds bullet journaling valuable and helpful, more power to 'em. I also happen to think that planners are pretty dull, so maybe bullet journaling gives people a way to make using a planner a little more interesting and engaging.

I don't particularly object to the use of the term "journal" in bullet journaling. A journal, by definition, is a personal record. It doesn't really have to be in the form many are so accustomed to. A record of tasks and goals fits the dictionary defition of "journal" just fine.

The origin of the word is a book containing times for daily prayers. So perhaps bullet journaling is a little closer to the word's original intent than what most of us think of as "journaling."

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Bullet journaling isn't really for me either. I know that some people find it valuable, but for me it seems like a solution looking for a problem. A planner seems totally sufficient to keep tasks and goals organized. But, if someone finds bullet journaling valuable and helpful, more power to 'em. I also happen to think that planners are pretty dull, so maybe bullet journaling gives people a way to make using a planner a little more interesting and engaging.

I don't particularly object to the use of the term "journal" in bullet journaling. A journal, by definition, is a personal record. It doesn't really have to be in the form many are so accustomed to. A record of tasks and goals fits the dictionary defition of "journal" just fine.

The origin of the word is a book containing times for daily prayers. So perhaps bullet journaling is a little closer to the word's original intent than what most of us think of as "journaling."

I agree with you about the relation between the "journal" word origin and bullet journaling. Originally, a journal seems to have been a planner. But today, a planner is a calendar incorporating things-to-do/places-to-go/people-to-meet lists. I don't question the technical merits of the usage. But if you inadvertently walked into a night-school "Journaling 101" class, would you be surprised to find out the class weren't dedicated to keeping planners, account books, and ledgers? I'd be surprised if it were.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I've been hearing a lot about bullet journaling, so I looked it up. And I can definitely say it's not for me. If I need to make a "to do" list, I write it on a piece of scrap paper which will later get recycled; events, meetings and appointments end up on a calendar -- either a physical wall calendar or the one on my laptop -- and will get deleted or erased afterwards. Stuff like lists and date planning don't need to be kept forever. They're momentary.

My journal, OTOH, is not something I can -- or want -- to distill into a "time management" system (which it sure as heck sounds like bullet journaling is, from the website I looked at). Maybe the person who created the system needed to have that limit and order (or maybe couldn't cope with the concept of being personal and honest -- and garrulous), and couldn't imagine the need to actually put All That Emotion on paper. But for me, that hour plus I spend every day writing in my journal, first thing in the morning, *ISN'T* wasted time that could be spent on "doing something else" [which smacks a bit of what my husband got told growing up when he got caught reading fiction for pleasure :angry: -- a concept which I found appalling, especially coming from a family of readers]. And no -- it's NOT a waste of time, just like him reading some SF novel wasn't a waste of time -- it's time I'm spending on ME. I do mine almost daily. I've been doing it for over a decade at this point. And it's three pages of whatever comes in my brain and out my hand. I started out with 8-1/2" x 11" spiral binders, but found that it was hard to fill up three pages. So I tend to use smaller ones (5"x7" or 6"x8") -- but I write small, so I tend to fit two lines of writing into every lined space onto a page. The few days where I can't do it (generally when I have to get up at some obscenely early hour) I'm out of sorts all day; last week, when I had to do it in fits and starts because I had to be dropped off at a car rental place at 8 AM, I still managed to eventually get it done. Not all at once, the way it should have been, but at least done in some fashion. It's messy and it's often cranky and sometimes it's somewhat illegible, and completely unregimented other than it being three pages.

I don't do art journaling, per se (I *do* have sketchbooks and poetry journals), but I did like the video that BradGad posted the link to. Hey, does anyone know what pen she had attached to the one? She said it was a fountain pen but I didn't get a good look at it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

I've kept journals for years, and I try to put time aside to write in my current one every day (even though it always ends up being done at 3am.) I always thought that the bullet journal system was cool but unnecessary for my lifestyle. Though with business picking up, I've taken up a few of its pages for organization. Not much, just a few pages with business ideas, lists of things ive ordered, a wishlist. But i still use my journals like a normal journal, for the most part.

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

• 4 months later...

Older topic, but here is my 2¢. I'm ADHD. Putting my lists on scrap paper means no list. My planner had been heaps and piles. Not so good.

I've heard of bullet journal before. It's back in my radar. And I see it's potential. I can make it and change it to my needs, even change it mid journal of need be. Something that can't be done with a standard planner. If it works well over the next month, I plan on introducing my son to it for his ADHD.

But I do agree. I rather call it my bullet planner.

Peace and Understanding