Mb 149 - Need Your Opinions

Apm1

Hello all,

I have a beautiful Montblanc 149 that was owned by my uncle, unfortunately once I received it as a gift and I cleaned it, I noticed that the barrel (single unit) has a crack!

The pen doesn't leak from there but I am not sure what to do. Shall I bring it to MB for repair? in that case, how they will repair it? Is the single barrel spare still available?

Also, I noted that the rubber of the piston is not doing its job properly because some water penetrate on the other side and leak down from the bottom.

I attach some pictures of the pen..

I look forward to hear your opinions and also help for dating it.

Many thanks!

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah23/Ruggero_Pietrafesa_Mendicini/IMG_1645_zpsk5uhrbnu.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah23/Ruggero_Pietrafesa_Mendicini/IMG_1646_zpsj91wupfj.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah23/Ruggero_Pietrafesa_Mendicini/IMG_1643_zpsxecqzbw9.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah23/Ruggero_Pietrafesa_Mendicini/IMG_1642_zpscd6syctt.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah23/Ruggero_Pietrafesa_Mendicini/IMG_1647_zpszyatzznb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apm1

• zaddick

• niksch

• CS388

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pen is from the late 1960s to mid 1970s based on just the feed and nib.

The crack is nothing to really worry about if it is not leaking. It is not uncommon for the older resion pens to have stress fractures in the ink window.

MB service is all about replacement. If you sent them your pen, they would probably pull the nib and clip and replace everything else and you would lose a lot of the character of your pen. Since it belonged to your uncle I doubt you want to go in that direction.

The leaking piston might be an easy fix. I am not sure where you are located. If you want a good repair person in the US I would recommend Brad Torelli. If you are in Europe, Francis Goosens (member fountainbel here in FPN). they should also be able to confirm that fracture is not an issue (or maybe your is?).

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Nice pen. Nasty looking crack!

The pen doesn't leak from there but I am not sure what to do. Shall I bring it to MB for repair? in that case, how they will repair it? Is the single barrel spare still available?

If it doesn't leak, I'd keep using it. But, it will have to be addressed, eventually.

When that time comes, MB service will be your best route.

They won't repair it, they'll replace parts to make it like new.

All the period stuff except nib (and possibly cap) would be gone.

Experts could 'invisibly mend' this - but it would have to have a high sentimental value (imho)to merit this, .

When/if the time comes: I'd send it in and get it 'newed-out'.

You'll still have the same nib, but in a fully functional pen.

And it will still be your uncle's pen, like Lincoln's axe, iirc.

Enjoy.

Edited to reduce.

Edited by CS388

Actually, neither of thise issues are that big of a deal to repair. It's hard to say what's going on with the piston seal, but those issues are usually pretty easy to resolve. The real issue is the crack in the barrel. It appears to be in not only the ink windows, but also progresses into the threads of the section. That will with the tricky part, but with some time and patience, it can be resolved also.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

For the crack why not run some clear crazy glue over it. The crack can only get worse if left as is. I had a leaky cross century right at the section rim. Applied crazy glue sparingly around the rim and it hasnt leaked since, 5 years later.

Edited by max dog

Actually, neither of thise issues are that big of a deal to repair. It's hard to say what's going on with the piston seal, but those issues are usually pretty easy to resolve. The real issue is the crack in the barrel. It appears to be in not only the ink windows, but also progress into the threads of the section. That will with the tricky part, but with some time and patience, it can be resolved also.

I could not see the crack extending past the ink window when I commented before. This is certainly a bigger concern. My comments above were if you just see a crack that appears to be inside the ink window, not to the surface or beyond the window.

Crazy glue is not a good solution if you want to maintain the integrity of the pen. You will need some professional help. Otherwise, you can send it to MB and get a new pen with your old nib and clip.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The integrity of the pen is already compromised with that crack. Crazy glue isn't going to hurt it more, but possibly prevent the crack from progressing further. Of course sending it in for professional repair is the best solution if the situation gets worse.

For the crack why not run some clear crazy glue over it. The crack can only get worse if left as is. I had a leaky cross century right at the section rim. Applied crazy glue sparingly around the rim and it hasnt leaked since, 5 years later.

Oh my goodness NO. Please don't do that. Ever.

Thank a Veteran.

The integrity of the pen is already compromised with that crack. Crazy glue isn't going to hurt it more, but possibly prevent the crack from progressing further. Of course sending it in for professional repair is the best solution if the situation gets

Crazy glue will damage the barrel more than the current condition and will basically destroy the barrel at the threads and ruin the pen. Max dog, please, crazy glue is NEVER a solution to a pen problem. Unless it's a Bic.

GDAYRTI? Holy (bleep).

Thank a Veteran.

Send it into Montblanc. Tell them you want to keep your 18k nib. You'll get a brand new pen that you will be able to use for years, and leave to your own nephew.

Dear friends,

First of all many many thanks for your prompt and interesting opinions.

I have done some tests yesterday evening, loading the pen with distilled water and unfortunately I am afraid that the crack that doesn’t leak from the outside, is however affecting the inside of the barrel. Once the piston seal travels on that point, some fluid manage to slip on the other side running inside the piston mechanism and coming out from the back. This is a serious trouble.

I am afraid the only solution at this point would be having the barrel replaced with a modern one L and the piston serviced. Unfortunately this will be very painful because the pen will no longer be the same, and the price will be phenomenal.

This is such a shame..

Where are you from ?

If I were you, I would not send the pen to Montblanc : they often change everything and you will certainly receive your pen properly repaired but with a new feed for instance (as they replace parts for modern ones).

There are a lot of pen repairer that could fix the pen for you without changing everything.

Edited by Xof72000

I am based in London, UK. Who is there a repairer?

You can take it into any of the London boutiques. I'd recommend Bond Street, or City.

You may get away with a level 1 service, which is just over £40 - or it might run to level 2, approx £66*

Either way, it will resolve all your issues. Especially that barrel crack, which could prove fatal, one day.

Yes, there'll be lots of new stuff built around your old nib, but it's still your uncle's pen.

He'd have had to send it in himself, were it still his.

Good luck

*Amount I paid last year for 146 level 2 service. Everything new, except the nib and the cap.

Edited to add: If you want to keep it all original, I second Xof72000's recommendation for fountainbel. Craftsman extraordinaire!

Edited by CS388

Hello friends,

Thanks again for all the support you provided me.

In the end I decided to bring the pen to MB for repair. I know that some of you will disagree with what I did but in my opinion a cracked barrel will have to be replaced sooner or later.

MB will send the pen to their factory and with 66£ will come back fully serviced with new barrel and piston.

I know that I will have a pen assembled with modern and vintage components all mixed together (this is a great concern also with vintage watches.....) but at least I will be able to use it and enjoy it everyday.

Good choice from a user's standpoint. You'll still have the business end to remember him by and be able to use the pen decades more to trigger fond memories while building your own.