De Atramentis Black / Brown Ink

visvamitra

De Atramentis fountain pen inks are hand made in Germany by Dr. Franz-Josef Jansen, and come in a 35ml glass bottle. The company has been producing inks for about 30 years so there is a proven track record here. These inks are said to be hand made – the entire production process is done manually in the manufacturing center. The thing that influence their quality and, sadly, price is the fact that Dr. jansen uses only dyes from well established german companies like BASF.

De Atramentis inks are sold in 35 ml glass bottles. I enjoy the way this bottle look and I find them practical. Some of DA inks come in black glass that’s supposed to protect the ink from light.

I enjoy trying products of smaller companies, especially the ones that creators put a lot of heart and energy in developing their business and products. I believe Dr. Jansen is such a person. He’s developed literally hundreds of inks indifferent categories. I’ve tried just a small quantity of his inks. I’ve enjoyed some and disliked some. It’s normal. I'm still eager to get to know most of DA inks.

De Atramentis inks are grouped into categories like Standard inks, Document inks, Black Edition inks. Also on De ATramentis website you can find a lot of topic related inks (places, signs of zodiac, history, business, music, literature etc.). Most of them are renamed standard inks.

Black Brown is strongly saturated reddish brown ink. I'm not really keen on this color. The characteristics are mostly nice - excellent flow and nice lubrication make writing enjoyable even in drier nibs. Sadly the ink tends to feather strongly on some papers (crappy ones like Moleskine and some Leuchtturm notebooks).

Ink splash

fpn_1487710627__blackbrown_da_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1487710637__blackbrown_da_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1487710650__blackbrown_da_l_3.jpg

Color range

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1487710673__blackbrown_da_t_1.jpg

fpn_1487710687__blackbrown_da_t_2.jpg

fpn_1487710703__blackbrown_da_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1487710730__blackbrown_da_l_1.jpg

fpn_1487710770__blackbrown_da_l_2.jpg

fpn_1487710781__blackbrown_da_l_4.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Lamy 2000, OB

fpn_1487710802__blackbrown_da_le.jpg

Oxford, Lamy 2000, OB

fpn_1487710865__blackbrown_da_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1487710878__blackbrown_da_ox_2.jpg

Kokuyo Campus Myo,

fpn_1487710907__blackbrown_da_k_1.jpg

fpn_1487710947__blackbrown_da_k_2.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1487710966__blackbrown_h2o.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• lapis

• T4TEXAS

• cattar

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the excellent review, as usual. Don't care for it, oddly, because it seems I should based on my taste in colors. Maybe if it was a little blacker.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Yup, too red for me. But thanks for the review. It's always good to get to know more and more about De A's spectrum.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

This is definitely my kind of color! Really like red leaning browns. Sure does feather though...which turns me right off. Thanks for another insightful review, Vis.

Mary