Mont Blanc? With A Flaw?

Lexus77

Hi everybody,

i received something wonderful in the mail today: A 'Mont blanc' in beautiful orange resin.
post-133952-0-26541900-1487689530_thumb.jpg

post-133952-0-61162000-1487689538_thumb.jpg
There is, of course, a reason I put the word Mont blanc in quotation marks, there: I really doubt the authenticity of this pen.
The serial number (ndl339461) doesn't seem to match the Mont blanc numbering system, and it's on the side of the clip, instead of on the band, for instance. And the white star on top of the cap isn't on the surface, but floats somewhere inside the transparent resin. I'm not an expert, but these seem to be pretty strong clues that this is a fake Mont blanc.
Not that it really matters: The pen writes beautifully, smooth, wetter than any of my other pens, and the weight is wonderful in my hand. I also like the design very much. And, best of all, this only cost me 10 buck. It wasn't even advertised as being a Mont blanc. So, I guess I got a good pen for a good price, whatever it is. But, it does say 'Mont blanc' on the band and on the converter.
So, I am curious: Can anyone confirm that this is not a real Mont Blan? And can anyone tell me what model it is supposed to resemble, if any? Or, am I wrong and is it a real one after all?

Also, I have a second question: The converter does something strange: It fills quite nicely and has a large capacity, but only up to a certain point. When I fill it up to 1 or 2 mm under the max, there is no problem at all. When I screw the piston all the way up, it starts to run: All the ink just runs out in a matter of seconds, as if I broke an air seal (which is probably what happens.) Has anyone had this experience with a piston converter before? And most of all: Is this a flaw or a feature? Is it supposed to do this, and is there some use to a converter doing this, or is it just a bad converter?
Also this doesn't matter: I don't mind not filling it all the way, and it doesn't diminish the love I have for this pen. I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity about this strange pen.

Sincerely,

Alexander

Edited to correct some typos.

Edited by Lexus77

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lexus77

• Trom

• Bluey

• invisuu

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, if you put a decent converter in them, they'll make a good usable pen.

But not the real thing, I fear.

Better luck next time.

Well, that establishes what I already suspected: A fake. Thanks everyone.

So, is it supposed to look like a starwalker, I think?

And what about the converter? Is the emptying when screwed all the way up a feature or a flaw?

Anyway, it's still a great pen for a great price, so I don't feel like I missed out at all. Well, except perhaps a chance to earn some money on it, but that was never my intention anyway. I'll just look at it as what it is: A great fake that looks and write beauifully.

A complete fake. Get your money back. It is so fake, that it is not worth it.

Well... had I paid for a Mont Blanc, you'd be right, and I would. However, it was sold as 'fountain pen.' No brand mentioned. And it's a beautifully made and very smooth writing pen, that I haven't found any functional flaws with. Which I bought for 10 bucks. I think that makes it worth the money, regardless of the brand it is or is not.

You paid 10 bucks and thought you'll get a Montblanc?!?

Hmm ... :huh:

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

As long as you like it, that's great for your part. But please be aware that fake brand products are illegal in the EU. The least legal consequences could be that customs confiscate and destroy your pen. But they also may inform the owner of the brand name rights and he might sue you. And what's definitely illegal is selling a fake brand product.

I wouldn't think twice what to do with this pen and the seller. Especially, since there are tons of inexpensive modern and vintage pens of at least that quality, which are not illegal copies of brand products.

It is just a $10 pen that might write OK if it had a decent converter. An International converter might fit it, but an authentic Montblanc one probably won't because they seem to be fatter.

I have a fake Montblanc Meisterstück and my authentic converter doesn't fit into it.

It's a humorous post (I would have thought the "Iridium Point Paris" would give it straight away).

Could it be that the OP is making a point about the value of fountain pens in general, and false value of Montblanc. An MB is no different to a noname except that a MB has "Montblanc" written on it and costs several hundred ££££, and a no name has "[some brand here]" on it and costs about £5

If they both write exactly the same and both give the user pleasure to write with, what's the difference?

Edited by Bluey

If they both write exactly the same and both give the user pleasure to write with, what's the difference?

Well to me they don't write the same, feel the same, or have the same level of durabiltiy. You also get a warranty with an MB pen and there is value in that.

You are free to not like MB from a qulaity/price/what they represent to the average person perspective, but the kind of statement above implies there is no value in MB above the cost of teh cheapest knock off. Perhaps you feel that way. Others do not.

To the OP - enjoy your new pen

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Well to me they don't write the same, feel the same, or have the same level of durabiltiy. You also get a warranty with an MB pen and there is value in that.

You are free to not like MB from a qulaity/price/what they represent to the average person perspective, but the kind of statement above implies there is no value in MB above the cost of teh cheapest knock off. Perhaps you feel that way. Others do not.

But if you're paying that amount of money, there shouldn't be any need for warranty should there?

It's a quality pen, right? It's not like it's a car with plenty to go wrong.

Edited by Bluey

You paid 10 bucks and thought you'll get a Montblanc?!?

Hmm ... :huh:

No. Have you read the original post?

I bought a 'fountain pen' for 10 bucks. It arrives, and it says 'Montblanc.' So I posted this to get my suspicions confirmed that it's a fake.

Thanks. I am.