Howdy And Greetings From Chicago

loulu10

Howdy, I have been a member since 2014, but just now read the rules for this site. I am a poet, composer, fiber artist, and former computer security geek.

I love to write, and I love to write with fountain pens. I have been using cheap fountain pens since elementary school. But in the 1980's I discovered Waterman and Parker pens. I have a tiny fountain pen collection now.

• Waterman (set with Rollerball pen, paperwork and cartridges but, alsa, no box :(),
  • Parker,
  • Staedtler Calligraphy set,
  • 2 vintage Schaeffer's,
  • a ton of nibs and a few dip pen holders.

I aspire to find a vintage 1970's Lamy 25P German fountain pen that works.

I like to write and do calligraphy in my art journals and bullet journals with fountain pens.

Is anyone here using fountain pens in their bullet journals? Which waterproof (international standard short) ink cartridges do you like? Any inks that don't bleed through?

I keep my fountain pens in a vintage Parker Sherman cigarette box that I found in an antique store...

So glad I found FPN!

Peace,

LuLu

:D

• Waterman Ideal Exclusive Black Lacquer 18K nib fountain pen.
  • Waterman Man 200 Rhapsody Fiber Tip Mineral Green rollerball.
  • Set: '72 Parker 75 Flighter Deluxe GT Fountain  Pen + '78 Parker 180 Flighter CT Floating Ball / Fiber Tip. 
  • Sheaffer Lifetime Ring Cap, Sheaffer 2d & 3d Gen Pens.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• loulu10

• Arkamas

• Henricum_Tropen

• OCArt

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I'm glad you are here!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I'm actually waiting for a dotted A5 Leuchtturm notebook in the mail to start a new bullet journal with. I like using my Pilot VP. I'm also waiting for a Custom 74 to use in it - both fine nibs. Glad to meet another bujo user on here.

:W2FPN:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Lulu, hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hello and Welcome to FPN! Glad to have you join us!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome, Lulu !

"Bleed-through" is largely functions of both ink and paper. It is over penetration into the paper.

If the ink does not penetrate, it remains atop the paper fibers and is slow to dry. Thicker and denser papers are less likely to "bleed through". Inks with less color pigment saturation are less likely to "bleed through". It is seldom an issue with me, as I don't use the reverse side of the paper.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

There's a pen show in your area the first weekend in May. Well worth going to. Information can be found here.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

There's a pen show in your area the first weekend in May. Well worth going to. Information can be found here.

Wow - thanks - but could be 'dangerous' for me to attend! I'm trying to save a few pennies to play the ponies on Kentucky Derby Day that Saturday May 6th with my father (at the OTB). It's our 'tradition'. Every other year we do lunch out, the OTB, and then back to my house to watch the exciting race!

• Set: '72 Parker 75 Flighter Deluxe GT Fountain  Pen + '78 Parker 180 Flighter CT Floating Ball / Fiber Tip. 

Welcome, Lulu !

"Bleed-through" is largely functions of both ink and paper. It is over penetration into the paper.

If the ink does not penetrate, it remains atop the paper fibers and is slow to dry. Thicker and denser papers are less likely to "bleed through". Inks with less color pigment saturation are less likely to "bleed through". It is seldom an issue with me, as I don't use the reverse side of the paper.

Thanks, Sasha.

I do write on both sides of the paper, so bleed through is an issue with me. More so in my bullet journals and diaries, than my art journals.

A lot of us 'Bullet Journalers' are on the quest to find the elusive journal with thick enough paper to eliminate bleed through and/or ghosting. I've done a lot of research lately and think I'm pretty close to finding the holy grail of journals. :lol:

I'm actually waiting for a dotted A5 Leuchtturm notebook in the mail to start a new bullet journal with. I like using my Pilot VP. I'm also waiting for a Custom 74 to use in it - both fine nibs. Glad to meet another bujo user on here.

:W2FPN:

Howdy Arkamas,

Good to meet you, too.

I just got my first LT1917 grid journal a few days ago. But I'm very disappointed in the thin paper. I put it to the side and will continue with the Essentials A5 grid journal (Peter Pauper Press) that came in the same package. I used my first Essentials A5 journal all last year. There is minimal bleed through and no ghosting with the pens I use (Steadtler FP, Tim Holtz Distress Markers, and Frixion gel pens). I wanted to give the LT a try because of all the hype.

Meanwhile, I just discovered a new A5 journal called Scribbles That Matter. It seems to have the best of all worlds. The thick paper of the Essentials and all the features of the LT1917 - plus it comes in a dot version!

Good luck with your new LT!

Howdy Arkamas,

Good to meet you, too.

I just got my first LT1917 grid journal a few days ago. But I'm very disappointed in the thin paper. I put it to the side and will continue with the Essentials A5 grid journal (Peter Pauper Press) that came in the same package. I used my first Essentials A5 journal all last year. There is minimal bleed through and no ghosting with the pens I use (Steadtler FP, Tim Holtz Distress Markers, and Frixion gel pens). I wanted to give the LT a try because of all the hype.

Meanwhile, I just discovered a new A5 journal called Scribbles That Matter. It seems to have the best of all worlds. The thick paper of the Essentials and all the features of the LT1917 - plus it comes in a dot version!

Good luck with your new LT!

Really? I haven't really had any problems with bleed-through, but then I use fine Japanese nibs with mine. Just came in the mail yesterday. I used to use Moleskine( :sick:) but then I tried LT1917 and got hooked :P . Now if I could actually figure out some decent layouts so it doesn't look like (bleep)... :wallbash:

Have you tried Rhodia at all? I understand they use Clairfontaine paper - really nice stuff from what I could tell with the Triomphe pad I used.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.