Lost Favorite Pen :-( Bummer

blINK

Just need to vent a little. . .

About 8 months ago, I was diagnosed with a rare auto-immune liver disease that my aunt had. I kicked my journaling up to high gear because the long-term prognosis is not fantastic. I had several pens and sold about 75% of them to pay some medical bills, but kept about a dozen that I really liked. Over time, the Kaweco Liliput Fireblue with a medium nib, despite its diminutive size, has become my favorite. When I am in the hospital, it is small and easy to have around. When I go to the beach to write, it is easy to keep in the pocket.

Sadly, I had to go back into the hospital last week and I had the Liliput Fireblue in my pocket. For a procedure, they needed to cut off my pants. Among the chaos, the pen must have fallen out somewhere along the way. Nobody's fault as it is a tiny pen. But now I am home and anxious to write, but I am missing my favorite pen. Hopefully once the medical bills slow down a little, I will be able to replace it. But in the meantime, it's a bit of a drag.

Anyone else lose a cherished pen? I know that the pen is a minor consideration in the vast scheme, but I was using it to write in the journal and daily notes to my wife which she will not get until my passing,

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blINK

• Wolverine1

• inkstainedruth

• Jamesbeat

Hey Chris- like you, I too suffer from a serious brain tumor. When I was taken to the ER in 2012 suffering a stroke, I had my Pilot VP and a Cross Century ballpoint pens in a Pelikan pen case in my hippack/fanny-pack. In the confusion of the ER Physicians inserting drips, and attaching electrodes/sensors etc, the hippack and its contents went missing. It is only about aweek and a half later, when I regained the ability to speak, that I began to ask for my hippack and the pens contained therein. Well, they were long gone, and lost.

I felt bad about being sick and losing my favorite pens on top of it. But as I have somewhat recovered, I guess I have gotten over it, but, I still regret losing my pens.

Be well, Chris. Hope you get better.

Just need to vent a little. . .

About 8 months ago, I was diagnosed with a rare auto-immune liver disease that my aunt had. I kicked my journaling up to high gear because the long-term prognosis is not fantastic. I had several pens and sold about 75% of them to pay some medical bills, but kept about a dozen that I really liked. Over time, the Kaweco Liliput Fireblue with a medium nib, despite its diminutive size, has become my favorite. When I am in the hospital, it is small and easy to have around. When I go to the beach to write, it is easy to keep in the pocket.

Sadly, I had to go back into the hospital last week and I had the Liliput Fireblue in my pocket. For a procedure, they needed to cut off my pants. Among the chaos, the pen must have fallen out somewhere along the way. Nobody's fault as it is a tiny pen. But now I am home and anxious to write, but I am missing my favorite pen. Hopefully once the medical bills slow down a little, I will be able to replace it. But in the meantime, it's a bit of a drag.

Anyone else lose a cherished pen? I know that the pen is a minor consideration in the vast scheme, but I was using it to write in the journal and daily notes to my wife which she will not get until my passing,

Sorry to hear of your loss, and prayers for you and your family and medical staff as you are dealing with this situation.

Thank you both for your posts. I'm not sure where else I could share my story where people would understand losing a pen. Wolverine1 - sent a PM back to you just a little while ago. Mr5x5 - thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Can never have too many at this point.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Hello Blink,

May God bless and keep you in this life and may you have eternal joy with Him in the next. :)

I wish you and yours well in all things. God bless.

BTW, to answer your question, when I was 9, I made the terrible mistake of taking my cigar box of FAVORITE pens and pencils to school. During recess I sat it down to go on the swings, when I got off the swing a few minutes later... it was gone... I cried for 3 days. :(

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I hate losing pens. Even cheap ones. It's a horrible feeling. I got carted off to the ER yesterday after dizzy spells (and appparently my blood pressure went through the roof) and was in a panic later when I couldn't find my Lamy Safari for the longest time after I got out.
Is it possible to contact the hospital and see if it somehow turned up?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hello Blink,

May God bless and keep you in this life and may you have eternal joy with Him in the next. :)

I wish you and yours well in all things. God bless.

BTW, to answer your question, when I was 9, I made the terrible mistake of taking my cigar box of FAVORITE pens and pencils to school. During recess I sat it down to go on the swings, when I got off the swing a few minutes later... it was gone... I cried for 3 days. :(

- Anthony

Thanks Anthony. A whole box? That's rough!

I hate losing pens. Even cheap ones. It's a horrible feeling. I got carted off to the ER yesterday after dizzy spells (and appparently my blood pressure went through the roof) and was in a panic later when I couldn't find my Lamy Safari for the longest time after I got out.

Is it possible to contact the hospital and see if it somehow turned up?

Ruth,

Glad to see you are posting and not still stuck there. I did call and they are on the lookout but I do not have high hopes.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

As a fountain pen enthusiast, it's sometimes difficult to keep a sense of perspective

When I emigrated from the UK to the States, it was obviously quite a turbulent time, I was selling almost everything I owned, and I wasn't thinking about my pen collection.

I sold a pen that I really wish I had kept. I still kick myself for selling it even now, but at the end of the day, it's just a pen.

Don't let it get you down too much. Those notes to your wife are the important thing, not the instrument that you happened to use to write them.

You could write them in crayon on a paper towel and the words would still have the same meaning.

Wishing you all the best.

My best wishes to everyone.

When I first started wearing ringtops, I lost two when they unscrewed themselves and disappeared. I've since developed a habit of checking to see if they're still there. It's not quite a tic, but it's getting close.

So far, so good, but it explains why there's so many caps on eBay.

I'd love to find a substance I could apply to the threads that would add a little tackiness to them. Some might say I'm already tacky enough, but let it go.

I pray for your health. I'm very sorry to hear about your pen loss as well.

Yes, I lost my pen that started my collection long ago. It was a Parker IM, and I was quite sad to lose it.

I also lost my favorite Parker Jotter at school. It was an SS Jotter, and I loved it so much. Unfortunately, I lost in, and to this day I wonder where it is.

Hope you get better soon,

Josh

Thank you everybody for your best wishes, both in the thread and the many PMs I have received. This is a great community and I am happy to be a part of it.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Hi, Blink, sorry for your pen. I once lost a pen, returned to all the places I had gone that day and nothing. By night, the people in my building returned the pen. If fell on the elevator and someone found it.

We're here praying for you to get better soon.

Wow- blINK and Wolverine- I wish you both well in your recoveries. It puts all of the minor (bleep) I'm going through in greater perspective.

I thought I had lost my dad's Esterbrook LJ (cobalt blue) and I tore up the house trying to find it. I figured that it might have been left in a pair of pants that I donated to the Salvation Army and finally got resigned to the fate that I'd never see it again.

A few months later, I unpacked a suitcase that I had taken to my mother's funeral and forgotten that I had taken the pen with me since my father is buried next to her. It was in that suitcase. Never thought to look there.

Finally got around to resac that Esterbrook and bought a 9460 nib for it. It's now on my desk at work.

My best wishes to everyone.

When I first started wearing ringtops, I lost two when they unscrewed themselves and disappeared. I've since developed a habit of checking to see if they're still there. It's not quite a tic, but it's getting close.

So far, so good, but it explains why there's so many caps on eBay.

I'd love to find a substance I could apply to the threads that would add a little tackiness to them. Some might say I'm already tacky enough, but let it go.

I've had the same problem with a Morrison ringtop. I almost lost the business end 3 times in the space of about a day and a half. And then thought I'd lost the entire pen (AND the lanyard) -- after I swore I'd never take it out of the house again. I got extremely lucky, in that I was able to find a replacement at the Ohio Pen Show in November, and *then* the first one turned up a few days after I got home.... I had apparently caught the lanyard on one of the clips holding the glass in on the storm door, and the rest of the pen had fallen in between the storm door and the regular front door.

At some point I need to do a side by side comparison between the two pens -- they're almost identical, except I'm not sure the nib on the replacement pen is quite as nice. Oh, and the section had to be glued back together during repair work on that second pen....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The heart wants what the heart wants. You decide what is precious to you ! I hope you will recover soon.

Many years ago, I met a beautiful woman. She had a magazine, bikini figure. :puddle: In my youthful lust, I let her borrow my silver, Parker 75 (gift from shipmates). She dropped it onto the stone floor, nib first. :crybaby: The pen never recovered, but I did. She has been my best friend these forty years, and a dear friend to my wife, as well. We are both old and gray, and I still have not seen her naked. The cherished Parker skips. :wallbash:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I hope things are going well for you, Chris. I sent you a letter just over a week ago, I hope that it arrived in good condition. Obviously, with that timeline I could not have been aware of what is going on in your life. All the best my friend.

I do understand what it is like to lose a favorite pen. I once lost a pen roll with 7 pens and a pencil. FOUR Pelikans, a Parker 51 Special set and two Parker 45's - one a Flighter. Nearly two years later and while I have replaced (sort of) most if not all, I still occasionally look in weird places hoping something will turn up. It happens a lot less frequently than it used to though.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

To those who have lost their pens, and especially to those of you in poor health, I wish the most sincere wish that I may be able to assist in some amount of being, even if I am not to be their to comfort you. I, myself, recently lost my favorite Esterbrook. A lovely, green SJ in usable condition. The pen itself had begun to crack, and it had been to my great horror to not see it when I grabbed for it. I searched vainly, far and wide, I asked all in the area. Despite my attempts, all that were found were strange looks, and an obiter dictum: "What a weirdo". Perhaps I am. In any sense, the worst of it is a trifold combination; it was my first vintage pen, and I had to go all the way to Columbus to get it, with my father. The nib was flexible, an EF extra-flexible, and the British variation known for quality. I believe it was 9128. I had received the pen, the nib, and a spare firm fine, manifold even, for only $35. I have been ritualistically mourning its loss via a toiling and brooding, and I refused to use the ink always use in it, PR Cadillac Green, until today. The normal red sheen was nowhere to be seen, and I believe that this is representative of a small part of myself that I may never get back.

I'm going to go get a new one sometime soon.

-Blue Nose Bear