Pilot Stargazer/stella 90S

Lugworm

This pen looks really nice. Why don't British retailers sell it?

The pen seems to have good reviews but is it really worth that much?

My debt he paid, my death he died, that I might live.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lugworm

• Olya

• BradGad

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilot wants to establish itself as luxury brand in Europe (the west generally). They have even taken the Prera off the European market. It was overpriced in Europe anyway, but still a shame that they only offer the MR and then after the MR it's straight to the c 170 eur price bracket... imo Pilot aren't doing themselves any favours.

Platinum is well at it, offering their cheap pens (Plaisir, Cool Balance) on the Eurpean market at the same low price as in Japan (and even easily ordered via amazon, no Japan import!), thus hooking people on their pens/ brand and making it easier to jump higher. Pilot overpriced their Prera in Europe and now has even taken it completely off the market, offering only a heavy metal pen in the cheap segment and then jumping straight into the luxury priced pens, with no in-between... The thing is, imo it might be hard for Pilot to be seen as luxury brand as long as they offer cheap disposables. But they can't and won't (& shouldn't!) stop making those, as it's a hugely lucrative segment.. It's been said for years that Pilot's marketing and general strategy is all over the place in the west and that there is loads of room for improvement..

PS The iroshizuku line is also for instance moderately priced in Japan, at around 12 eur. Here we all know how expensive those inks are, and many justify it by saying the bottle makes it worth it or the glass is handblown.. well, in Japan it is not much more expensive than the more economic inks in spite of all that... and Japanese sellers take advantage of that, by selling the iro line via amazon at around 20 eur, which is still better than the 35-45 eur it costs via European retailers...

Edited by Olya

That explains that. I was looking at preras but I could only find a pink one and it was quite expensive.

Pity.

preras are nice lil pocket pens but sad to hear that they are not available in europe

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Question. On amazon I believe I can get a black Pilot Stella90s for about 78 (can't find the pound sign on this kindle). Shipped from Japan.

After much looking I have found a white Pelikan m205 for 73 pound. Given the minimal price difference, which is the best? The Pilot is short but is metal and has good reviews. Plus I think it looks nice.

The Pelikan has been recommended to me on this site but its plastic and some online views have not been quite so positive. I only like the look of the white pelikan.

Second question. I can get a Kaweco al sport for 58. Are the other two worth paying the extra for?

Thanks

Well, all those pens are quite different from each other and it will come down to your preference.

The Kaweco only takes carts (short standard int). The converter is supposedly no good.

The Pelikan is piston fill only, whilst the Pilot is con/ cart filler and has a gold nib.

I personally would not take the Kaweco, as it can't take converters (and doesn't have a clip).

I'd take the Pilot over the Pelikan, because of its gold nib. Gold nibs are no better than steel, but ultimately gold is a more precious metal and when having the choice between two metals (one superior) for the same price, I'd of course take the better metal. I also prefer the c/c system over others. So for me the choice would be clear, but maybe you're really dreaming of the Kaweco and then you should go for that. Or you really want to have a Pel, then take it. Always just buy what you really want, otherwise you might regret your decision and buy what you wanted in the first place anyway! (I might be talking from experience... :) )

Edited by Olya

I had an opportunity to try one. It's a neat little pen with a nice little nib but the dealbreaker for me was the snap cap. Ever since using the Pilot Prera I expect that level of quality to a snap cap. (But sadly only a Prera has that feel!)

The Stargazer I tried -- the actual 'snap' was a little too firm for my tastes. I like it better than the Safari's snap, which doesn't feel like it will last forever. The Stargazer's snap was firm enough that I'm certain it will last forever, at least.

Still, I feel at that price level it would be better to go with the Custom 74/91 or even a 92.

Although... I really did like the subtle speckly shine of the body. It's pretty understated, but nice.

I had an opportunity to try one. It's a neat little pen with a nice little nib but the dealbreaker for me was the snap cap. Ever since using the Pilot Prera I expect that level of quality to a snap cap. (But sadly only a Prera has that feel!)

The Stargazer I tried -- the actual 'snap' was a little too firm for my tastes. I like it better than the Safari's snap, which doesn't feel like it will last forever. The Stargazer's snap was firm enough that I'm certain it will last forever, at least.

Still, I feel at that price level it would be better to go with the Custom 74/91 or even a 92.

Although... I really did like the subtle speckly shine of the body. It's pretty understated, but nice.

I'm glad you posted this, Sam... I have been *this* close to ordering a Stargazer online, but now realize I need to wait until I get a chance to handle one. As you say, the snap of the Prera is sooo sweet.

I love the Prera. My 823 isn't getting much action lately, as I am busy working out my Prera Protocol. I have three, and I want to work out a set of nib/ink combinations that cover all the (normal daily) bases.

A great thing about the Prera is it's so small and light (but still comfortable in the hand) that carrying one in a shirt pocket is nothing, and carrying three isn't too bad.

So far...

Slate grey Prera, fine nib, loaded with Pilot Blue Black. PBB is my favorite ink (for many reasons, but the huge non-negotiable one is that it simply doesn't smear on the Tomoe River paper in my journal; all other inks I have tried do). The slate grey -- which has a definite blue cast -- looks great with PBB. This is my go-to.

White Prera, fine nib... this part of the protocol hasn't solidified yet. I want to use the white-pen-with-black ink mainly for sketching (something I'm very new at but enjoying a lot and getting better at). With a Pilot Black cartridge, it gives a very fine controlled line. Right now I have it loaded with Pilot Black from a bottle in a CON-50 converter. It writes a bit wetter with the converter... not an improvement. I'm thinking about going to syringe-filled cartridges (we'll see if it's the converter that makes the difference or if there is something different about the ink formulation in cartridges vs. bottles). And while I loved that first experience of Pilot Black in cartridges, I'm not totally sold on that ink for my sketching. I tried a sample of take sumi, and liked it loads... much darker than I expected from web images... and it has a subtle quality that I can't put my finger on, something that makes it different from other blacks. I have a bottle on order, but evidently it's coming on a slow boat from Japan. :/ ... And, I want to keep experimenting and see if I can find a water resistant black I like, so I'll have the option of doing washes with my sketches. And, I'm planning to try it with an EF nib cannibalized from a Pilot Penmanship.

Black-tipped clear demonstrator. This was my first Prera, the one that totally sold me on the model. It's currently sporting a fine nib, bu-uut... I want to use this one for my "accent" color. Something fun and colorful that looks OK with PBB. I use this for page numbers, accents, & BuJo layouts in my journal, and for annotating documents at work... Have not come close to finding the right combo here. I have a Plumix with an italic nib I'm perfectly willing to cannibalize if that's what it takes to make the right ink sing... but I haven't found that ink yet. (Or I could cannibalize the medium nib from one of my Metropolitans, but that particular nib doesn't have the Pilot-certain-something my others do.)

Any suggestions for my accent ink? ... I have tried 1) Diamine Red Dragon... great color but it smears terribly on my TR paper, 2) Diamine Sherwood Green... a nice ink but it too smears and it doesn't have enough pop for the role I want to use it in, 3) Skrip Red... better (but not perfect) on the smearing, and the color is very monodimensional... this is what I'm using right now, for want of something better... 4) I'm experimenting with a sample of Noodler's Hunter Green... strong possibilities here... I have a bottle loaded in my shopping cart at Goulet, but need a few more items in my cart before it's worth paying the postage... And, I can't find the right nib: with the fine it doesn't have enough oomph and pop and with the medium it lays down a too wet, too dark line in the journal... good for note cards and such, but not the journal or for annotations on copy paper at work). Oh, and I tried 5) Diamine Poppy Red... smears plus it's too light and wimpy in this context.

(Sorry to hijack the thread!)

Edited by BradGad

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

BradGad, you might consider Iroshizuku Tsutsuji or Fuyu-gaki for your accent ink. I've been very happy with both in my fine-nibbed Preras (I haven't tried them on Tomoe River paper though, so YMMV).

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Ada... hmm... not sure either of those do it for me, but while looking at them I saw yama budo. Never thought I would be interested in a purple ink (I guess we can call it purple), but a couple things are very appealing. It looks like it would complement Pilot Blue Black nicely, and, many (not all) reviewers say it dries quickly and one specifically says it doesn't smear after drying on smooth paper... which is the main thing I'm looking for.

I have asa gao and kon peki, both of which are lovely... I just didn't settle on them as my everyday blue. And I have a bottle of take sumi on the way in the mail... so, yeah, I'm pro-Iroshizuku.

Edited by BradGad

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb