High School With A Fountain Pen

Myles_Ink_Calligraphy

I am a grade 9 currently enrolled in Clayton Heights Secondary School. I have a unique hobby that makes me stand out from the rest of my peers; daily use of fountain pens!

I am unsure if there are any people in my age that are into fountain pens, or if people experienced using fountain pens at my age. So today, I would like to share some experiences of a fountain pen user in the modern age, amongst modern people- who were born in this millennium.

One of the common things that I get questioned is; what is the difference? What separates a BIC ballpoint from a Waterman? Many people find that fountain pens are luxuries, not an efficient and practical writing tool. I agree that sometimes the ballpoint may be handier on some occasions, but the fountain pen is more or as practical and efficient than a ballpoint pen. In English class, I occasionally demonstrate the practical business penmanship. With the combination of the script-writing and fountain pens, I find myself more efficient and significantly faster. Along with efficiency, my papers would look like an artwork while conserving its legibility. I am more than able to reproduce such works with a ballpoint pen, however, the magic of writing is not present with the paper when

executed as so.

A very clear benefit of a fountain pen combined with script writing is the inclined evaluation from many teachers. Upon discovering my handwriting, their first reaction is praise. They always ask where I have learned this art, wondering why a 15-year-old is mastering a somewhat obsolete art form. I reply to them that it this runs in my family, which is a half truth. My grandfather taught me Hanja- A Korean form of the Chinese character which values calligraphy in the execution, but my mum and dad despise my calligraphy and handwriting because my inky hands smudge everywhere like a mural. Anyways, back to this topic, my teachers will sometimes give me inclined marks for my handwriting, which is just awesome! I sometimes expect a poor mark in an essay but I prevail with a 10/10 which I assume is a bias for my longhand document. However, I sometimes suspect that some teachers lack the ability to read cursive writing, which leads me to question dear readers in this forum- Can you read cursive? If so do you prefer cursive over block writing or printing? If some of my teachers lack the ability to read script-writing, that is a curse in disguise, for it represents that cursive writing in public education system has perished.

I would like to come back to this topic in the future to share more experiences. Thank you FPN for your delightful environment for fountain pen lovers.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Myles_Ink_Calligraphy

• ksm

• ac12

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I believe you have earned grades of 10/10 because you are a very talented writer! I am old enough that I was taught to read and write cursive in school-- with the Palmer method-- but tend to print instead.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

My personal opinion as a former college grader.

For things that are turned in for grading, LEGIBILITY is the key.

There are 2 parts to legibility; 1) the ability to read the writing, and 2) how easily and fast can it be read.

1 - When I grade, I look for the answer to the question. If for reason of bad handwriting, I cannot find that answer in a students answer, he/she get a 0/ZERO on that question.

I can read cursive just fine, but I can read block printing easier and faster than cursive.

And some "fancy" cursive can be darn right difficult to read, not because the handwriting is BAD, but because it is so fancy.

2 - When grading LOTS of papers, in High School, think 40 students per class x 5 classes = 200 papers.

2a - If the teacher/grader spends 2 minutes per paper to grade, that is 400 minutes = 6 hrs, 40 min.

2b - if the teacher/grader spends 4 minutes per paper to grade, that is now 800 minutes = 13 hrs, 20 min.

A 6 hour-40 minute difference is a significant amount of time.

What this means is, I give myself X amount of time to grade the question. If I cannot find/figure out the answer within that period of time, because I cannot read the handwriting, the student gets a 0/ZERO. With a LOT of papers to grade, I cannot afford to spend an excessive amount of time decyphering handwriting. See what happens above, when the time to grade a paper goes up. That increase in time is taken away from the other tasks that the teacher/grader has to do.

And use a DARK ink. I hated grading papers written in pink, orange or other light/bright inks. It was very difficult on the eyes and usually gave me a head ache. And you really do NOT want to do that to a grader.

At the college level, I expect students to be getting ready to go into the real world. I do not expect to baby the students.

This is the same with professors. They don't care if the student come to class or not. It is the student's responsibility to take care of him or herself. If they want a F, so be it.

So, my advice to you is to turn in material in the MOST LEGIBLE format possible.

If you can type/computer print your stuff, do so.

If it is an exam, use CLEAR block printing.

Save the cursive for your own personal writing or where the teacher specifically asks for cursive.

The sooner you start to do this the better prepared you will be when you reach college.

Good Luck.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My personal opinion as a former college grader.

For things that are turned in for grading, LEGIBILITY is the key.

There are 2 parts to legibility; 1) the ability to read the writing, and 2) how easily and fast can it be read.

1 - When I grade, I look for the answer to the question. If for reason of bad handwriting, I cannot find that answer in a students answer, he/she get a 0/ZERO on that question.

I can read cursive just fine, but I can read block printing easier and faster than cursive.

And some "fancy" cursive can be darn right difficult to read, not because the handwriting is BAD, but because it is so fancy.

2 - When grading LOTS of papers, in High School, think 40 students per class x 5 classes = 200 papers.

2a - If the teacher/grader spends 2 minutes per paper to grade, that is 400 minutes = 6 hrs, 40 min.

2b - if the teacher/grader spends 4 minutes per paper to grade, that is now 800 minutes = 13 hrs, 20 min.

A 6 hour-40 minute difference is a significant amount of time.

What this means is, I give myself X amount of time to grade the question. If I cannot find/figure out the answer within that period of time, because I cannot read the handwriting, the student gets a 0/ZERO. With a LOT of papers to grade, I cannot afford to spend an excessive amount of time decyphering handwriting. See what happens above, when the time to grade a paper goes up. That increase in time is taken away from the other tasks that the teacher/grader has to do.

And use a DARK ink. I hated grading papers written in pink, orange or other light/bright inks. It was very difficult on the eyes and usually gave me a head ache. And you really do NOT want to do that to a grader.

At the college level, I expect students to be getting ready to go into the real world. I do not expect to baby the students.

This is the same with professors. They don't care if the student come to class or not. It is the student's responsibility to take care of him or herself. If they want a F, so be it.

So, my advice to you is to turn in material in the MOST LEGIBLE format possible.

If you can type/computer print your stuff, do so.

If it is an exam, use CLEAR block printing.

Save the cursive for your own personal writing or where the teacher specifically asks for cursive.

The sooner you start to do this the better prepared you will be when you reach college.

Good Luck.

That is a very insightful advice! Thank you for your respective reply, I really appreciate it!

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I believe you have earned grades of 10/10 because you are a very talented writer! I am old enough that I was taught to read and write cursive in school-- with the Palmer method-- but tend to print instead.

Haha :D Thanks! I wish I was lucky enough to learn the famous Palmer method in my grade school, but I missed it by a few decades. I hope cursive is not regarded as an art form, but an effective method of written communication again.

Welcome!

I am learning to become a teacher, and teached three classes (82 pupils in total).

If my pupils write cursive, that is okay, IF it is as legible as block print. I don't mind taking 3 seconds longer to check the answer. In the Netherlands the government wants us to use iPads/laptops. In some primary school the pupils don't even learn how to write, they are learned how to type....

So, if one of my students writes cursive, I don't mind. I'm happy they can still write.

As a proof of the point on legibility:

A piece by Ken Fraser:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/fairbank%20400.jpg

It is perfectly legible Italic variant, gorgeous in its consistency, but unusual slant and condensed lines make it hard to read quickly at first.

ps. My wife teaches students with special educational needs. Do you know that some students with Asperger's Syndrome have huge problems with reading connected handwriting.

pps. Good handwriting have its merits in adult life. Sometimes I want someone to take time to consider what I've written, then I handwrite it in a "formal italic" hand. It usually grants me "human" treatment.

Here is a little sample of what my essays would look like. #2 is my favourite option while #1 being used in some formal occasions and #2 never used- unless I borrow a pen from a pen.

https://goo.gl/photos/oXfwkzVwoLVumgfR9

Please share your thoughts on its legibility.

Edited by Myles_Ink_Calligraphy

I am writing a City Slicker Western taking place in 1881/2. Spenserian writing was not used in business, it took too long and was hard to read. It was used to sort out the upper classes from the lower classes.

1850's-70's, High Schools often private, were what the middle class boy needed to be a clerk instead of learning a trade or being a strong back laborer. By the 1870-80's, a 6-12 week visit to a Business collage was necessary to be hired as a stand up for 12 hours and write on a sloped desk clerk. Only bosses had a sit down desk.

There was also a lot of at home study instead of going to the saloon if one wanted to get ahead.

They used a quick clear business script.....that they learned in school, at home out of books or business Collage classes.

Palmer is similar to that older business script. If you want to learn Palmer there is links to that over in the Penmanship section of this com.

You need to see about getting faster drying inks, so nothing is smudged. There were inks that dry in 5-7 seconds.

You are ahead of the typical 9th grader.

While you are in the learning mode do look up stiff nib italic calligraphy, it has charm, in there are more than one of those scripts also.

AC does have a good point, as he mostly does. Teacher orientated inks, and legible.

PM me and I'll give you a copy of how to write a collage paper. I had wandered through HS learning nothing of that. In night school, a man who was not a teacher, much less an English teacher taught us in 15 minutes :thumbup: , how to write a collage paper :notworthy1: . I remembered that crystal clear to this day. So simple.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My thought on the image You've attached:

1. Your business writing is very good, yet italic is much easier to read (disclaimer: I write in cursive italic only). But the key is: how does your cursive disintegrate at speed.
  2. Your Italic hand is absolutely gorgeous, but you should take care to keep dots above your "i". Such legible italic is good alternative to block print for exams. I use very similar style if I want to make an impression on the reader of my text. Although I do not use ink as black as Higgins fountain pen India, Manuscript Black or Sailor Kiwa Guro, but rather Iron Gall inks like KWZ Ink IG Blue Black or Green Gold. They are dark and legible, but they have visible shading making it more obvious that message was handwritten. (anecdote time: This winter my aunt asked me how I managed to print a message on a Christmas card, she was surprised to learn it was handwritten).
Edited by ksm

My thought on the image You've attached:

1. Your business writing is very good, yet italic is much easier to read (disclaimer: I write in cursive italic only). But the key is: how does your cursive disintegrate at speed.
  2. Your Italic hand is absolutely gorgeous, but you should take care to keep dots above your "i". Such legible italic is good alternative to block print for exams. I use very similar style if I want to make an impression on the reader of my text. Although I do not use ink as black as Higgins fountain pen India, Manuscript Black or Sailor Kiwa Guro, but rather Iron Gall inks like KWZ Ink IG Blue Black or Green Gold. They are dark and legible, but they have visible shading making it more obvious that message was handwritten. (anecdote time: This winter my aunt asked me how I managed to print a message on a Christmas card, she was surprised to learn it was handwritten).

Thank you for your constructive criticism, I really appreciate it. I wish I could afford better inks similar to your suggestions, but I do not have any money for that. Most of my equipment comes from my pocket money and as birthday/Christmas presents.

My kids (high school age) are also fountain pen users. You have company. But they primarily print in block letters.

I write and read cursive, and I use cursive for my notes at the office. I write faster with cursive, and I enjoy the practice on being both fast and neat. I ironically, I find people won't look over at my notes as I'm writing in cursive as much as they look to see what I'm recording when I write in block letters.

Some day I may even learn to write in an italic script.

Buzz

Here is a little sample of what my essays would look like. #2 is my favourite option while #1 being used in some formal occasions and #2 never used- unless I borrow a pen from a pen.

They are all more difficult to read than a simple block print. Horses for courses should be your rule. While any of those might be appropriate for an essay on Canterbury Tales none seem right for a science report, a mathematics homework assignment or most other subject areas. Keep the calligraphy as a tool to add extra value when appropriate but skip it when it actually would reduce the value of the effort.

And we have lots of youngsters here.

My Website

Here is a little sample of what my essays would look like. #2 is my favourite option while #1 (I think you mean #3) being used in some formal occasions and #2 (I think you mean #1) never used- unless I borrow a pen from a pen.

My thoughts

They are readable, but, reading it as a grader would:

#1 and 2 are slanted too much, to me. It looks like a 45 degree slant. I find that the more the writing is slanted the more difficult it gets to read. I would try for a more upright slant of about 20 degrees.

Fancy with flourish does not make writing legible, in fact it could make it more difficult to read. In #1, I had to figure out the B in Blue by working backwards, reading the "lue" then concluding that it was a "B" in front. Too much flourishing. Similarly but not as bad for the H in Higgins in #2.

#3 is much easier to read than #1 and 2, but still not as easy to read a simple block printing.

Remember as a grader, I am interested in the content of what you write, not in how fancy or impressive it looks. And to get there, how easy is it to read what you wrote.

A tip when you write, "try" to avoid the decenders from the line above. When your writing crashes into a decender from the line above, it can get difficult to read. In #3, look at the "in" in Higgin's, where it crashed into the decender from the line above. What I do is to push my words out to the right, to "try" to avoid hitting the decenders. Yes the word spacing starts to look odd, but at least I am not crashing into the decenders, and creating an ugly mess. Without skipping a line, for the decenders, there isn't much of an option.

Your Italic has a higher x-height than your cursive, and the decenders go down almost to the base line of the line below.

Whereas your cursive x-height is lower and the decenders do not go down as far.

So your cursive is not as affected by crashing into descenders as is your italic.

Also for your italic, I would keep the accender just a hair below the base line of the line above.

The top of the "th" in with crash into the base of work above.

Could be a bit difficult without skipping a line, but not as difficult a problem as the decenders.

KSM had a very interesting comment, that I can relate to. My cursive deteriorates as my writing speed goes up, to a point that it becomes impossible to read, even for me. So at a certain point I switch to a variant of printing, where I have a better chance of reading the notes.

I have concluded that one has 3 different hands, not just 1.

#1 - Your slow fancy nice looking hand. This could be your #2 cursive and your #3 italic.

#2 - A FAST note taking hand of whatever style you want, for taking notes in class. It just has to be legible to YOU. Though you may have to rewrite your notes at the end of the day, if it is borderline legible. This is what I did in college. My class notes were borderline legible, so I had to rewrite my notes at the end of the day, so that I could read the notes when studying before the exam.

#3 - A block print, for maximum legibility and for filling out forms. When they say PRINT, you have to PRINT.

One might argue that #3 is printing, but to me #3 isn't clear printing.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I was using a fountain pen at school when I was your age, and so were all my classmates - it was compulsory!

I started out with a couple of Parker Vectors and moved up to a Parker 45.

I still have and cherish that 45 :)