Step Up From Pilot Metro?

DannyB

Is the Pilot Cocoon a step up from the Metro? They look the same, except for colors.

What about the Prera and Lucina?

I just received another Amazon gift card. After playing with fine and med nibs on Metros, Iv'e changed from fine to medium nibs. I need to replace the fine nib Metro with the Apache Sunset with something with a med nib. I especially like the Lucina!!

I have $75 to spend. I'd like to buy 2 pens and some more ink. So far I have Watermans Serenity blue, Apache Sunset, Pilot Iros Shin-Kai Deep Sea blue black and Pilot Iros Take-Sumi bamboo charcoal black.

Would you use Waterman ink on a job ap?

I appreciate everyone's input!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DannyB

• Bluey

• cattar

• smileypen

Same pen exactly. Cocoon is what it's called in Japan.

Would you use Waterman ink on a job ap?

Personally I would prefer to stay with black as many companies prefer it. You can't really go wrong with black.

What sort of pen are you looking for?

Your hunch about the Cocoon is correct: it is not a step up. The Prera is, but it isn't much of one. If you're seriously considering the Prera, however, consider the TWSBI Eco. But the TWSBI Diamond 580 or TWSBI Classic or the Conklin Duragraph would be a real step up. As to ink, if you're filling out a job ap by hand, I would use waterproof ink. Office workers, even hiring managers, put coffee mugs and cans of soda anywhere. Aps filled out with gel pens typically won't be harmed by a little moisture ring transferred from the bottom of a drinking vessel. But that same little bit of moisture can wash important information away if the ink is Waterman or just about any other "washable" ink. Don't take chances with a job ap.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I've got a custom 74 on order. I have several Metros that I used, just to decide what I really liked for a nib. I originally liked the fine nib. But now I've changed to medium nibs on any model doesn't have FM or SFM nib.

As a noob, about the time I think I know what paper I want, it all goes sideways.

I'm using a Metro fine with the Apache Sunset. I have to replace that pen with a medium. Gotta gotta!!

I may just go with a couple of different Metros. They are good pens and max bang for the buck!

I plan to go back to work soon and I'm not going to carry the C74! That's an "at home only" pen.

Beaters and nicer beaters are needed.

Edited by DannyB

Consider taking some time to write with the metros/plumix and the gold-nibbed custom 74, before you buy another pen. The gift card will keep.
Prera/plumix have the same nibs as metro in a lighter bodies. Lucina has a different steel nib.

Consider lightening your hand. Write with less pressure and the finer nib will feel like a medium, yet write finer. Put a shading ink, like apache sunset, in the medium or italic/calligraphy nibbed pens.

Consider a water-resistant ink for a job application and for on the job. Since you like blues, Pilot blue or blue black.

A Cocoon is exactly like a Metropolitan but in different colours and somehow more expensive.

A Prera is a very minor step up. The plastics are good and it has one of the best tactile cap-closing clicks ever, but the nib and feed (the writing end) are identical to the Metropolitan. If you don't post your pens it's also noticeably short. You have to post it to get to the length (more or less) of an unposted Metropolitan.

I like the looks of the Lucina but from what I've gathered, the price increase over a Metropolitan is not commensurate with the increase in quality/performance. If you can afford it (it seems you can), they say it's a good pen. Uncommon too, if that's a factor.

For ink in job applications I will consult Sandy1's ink reviews. She has a section in her reviews that assess an ink's "gravitas" and work-appropriateness. I agree with her assessments and I think they would be applicable to what you are trying to convey. I would go with a medium bright blue (Noodler's Blue?) over a Blue-Black.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I've had a black m/nib Lucina for a couple months now and I've been pretty happy with it. I would say the Lucina is even like a precursor pen to the Custom series, though from what I understand the nib of a Lucina is different from other Pilot nibs like the Custom series. It's fairly smooth. You could even consider a Custom 74 at your range on Amazon, though there would go the inks. It's a nice, popular next level pen. I'm actually waiting for one myself. Otherwise I definitely recommend the Lucina.

Edited by Arkamas
...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Cattar, you're right . The card will keep. I'm trying to achieve max benefit from someone else's money.

In all honesty, the Metro medium is pretty killer for $13 pen. It's not nearly as picky, as a fine, when it comes to paper.

The plain black medium Metro is a fine beater. However, when at work, and you pull out the Metro, it is not going to make someone think, "Wow! This guy IS a pro!"As does the Custom 74. But that one is not leaving the house.

My Iroshizuku Black and Iroshizuku Blue-Black will be here Monday. That will take care of the job ap. Fortunately, it's a formality.

I do need a replacement pen for the Apache Sunset. I'm writing my 13 yr old granddaughter with that!.

Bear in mind that price does not mean quality. Pens such as the Pilot Metro are some of the best writers you can get, but then you can spend $300 or $30000 on a pen that writes poorly, if it writes at all.

In general, the better writers and better value for money pens are all Japanese, or at the lower price scale, Chinese. European pens are usually overpriced for what they are, with nibs that are 2nd class compared to Japanese nibs. Overall European/American pen manufacturers see fountain pens as luxuries, and this is why the price is high yet the writing experience goes from average to doesn't write at all. Many such as Parker< Waterman and Sheaffer et al rest on the laurels but their best days are well behind them. The likes of Pelikan and Montblanc use their name to sell what are just average quality pens at inflated prices. Visconti and Aurora and also massively overpriced for what they offer, and while they may look the part many have issues with their nibs not writing very well.

So just be aware of the state of play in the fountain pen market.

A decent replacement for Apache Sunset could be Diamine Autumn Oak. It's worth looking into buying many samples rather than buying bottles. That will give you plenty of variety long before you get bored of a colour. Always best to have maybe 1 bottle or perhaps 2 of your favourite/regular colours that should include black or blue for practicality.

For a pen, I would suggest a Platinum 3776 in Chartres Blue or Bourgogne. You can pick them up on Amazon for around $70, and is the logical next step up from a Metro.

What is the correct link for Sandy1 ink??

You'll find many of Sandy's reviews here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/

Edited by Bluey

What is the correct link for Sandy1 ink??

Go to ink reviews forum and just scroll through and look for Sandy1 reviews.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I was looking to upgrade a couple of the Metro pens. I need to change to a med nib pen for using Apache Sunset.

I have a Pilot Custom 74 on order.

For a classy, everyday work pen I'm currently eyeballing a Platinum Balance, black and gold w/ med nib.

Then again, it's hard to argue, when the concern is a pleasant writing experience, with a couple of med nib Metros with traditional business color bodies and ink. Yes? No??

If you're happy with that i don't see any reason to 'upgrade' because you'll just end up chasing rainbows like many others do.

Edited by Bluey

In my mind the Pilot Custom 74 *is* the step up from the Metropolitan. If you're getting along with the Metro you're going to love the C74.

Frankly I would hold tight until you get the C74 (I know it's silly and it's advice I didn't take :) ) and write with it for a while. The next real step up IMO would be the Custom 823 with the vac filler. It won't really write much better than the C74 from my experience, but the 823 is more regal and the vac filler is pretty cool. Retails at $290ish.

Really though - I would look at the Lamy 2000 as the next step up. Piston filler and classic Bauhaus looks with a pen that is a superb writer. Retails at $150ish.

Upgrade, yes, but choose one pen. At $75, you are near the Sheaffer Prelude, a pretty good pen. When a pen goes much over $150 or $200, a lot of the extra price is decoration...glitz. Lamy 2000, Sailor 1911M, for instance, are about $150.

For a future pen -- non-Amazon -- consider a "vintage" pen, such as the Parker 51 or an Esterbrook J (my favorites). Pens were better made in 1950, but a 65 year old pen will need a nib check and maybe a tuning. Buy from someone reliable. Then write-on.

Inks? I have found Diamine to be attractive and dependable inks...check the reviews. Some ink-makers have released saturated and more-saturated inks in the last 15 years. Sometimes too much of a good thing, like adding more and more sugar to a cup of coffee.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Ya'll have taught me so much recently. My head feels like it wants to explode trying to absorb all this marvelous information.

Thank you!

I have a Custom 74 SFM on order. Its a stay at home pen. Likely, I will load it with my favorite dark blue ink and use it as general porpose.

I also have 3 Metropolitans, one med and 2 fine nibs. The medium write marvelously. The fines are toothy, but have not been tweaked. I will experiment and learn.

I need a classic style fountain pen for work, that can take the abuse of filling out a form with one or two carbon copies. The black Lucina would be nice, if it performs!

I need a real nice medium nib (japan) for shading inks. I write my granddaughter with Apache Sunset.

I need another pen for more shading inks.

Fountain pens are like guitars. I only need one more!! :lticaptd:

Jinhao nibs are like western nibs.

I really don't think you're going to find a fountain pen that does well for carbon-copy forms. Carbon forms work by applying lots of pressure. Fountain pens are intended to be used without applying lots of pressure. The pressure required to mark the additional page(s) would dump a boatload of ink all over the first page, and the paper is already such that it will tend to bleed and feather.

I suppose there might be a nail somewhere that'll work, but I personally wouldn't do that regularly to my pens...

How does the Chinese nibs compare to Japanese nibs?

BTW, Bluey, I like your av! :thumbup:

I love my Jinhao 159 (It's a big ol heavy pen!) but the Jinhao nibs are hit or miss. They come in any size you want as long as it's medium and can be rather WET.

That said - you can get a Goulet #6 nib and easily swap it out. I have a couple Goulet nibs and they perform well.