• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• usk15

• PandP

• eharriett

I bought one of their original INK fountain pens via Massdrop, and really liked it. They have since changed nib size and supplier (from Schmidt #5 to Bock #6),which I think is an improvement. Really nice pen, really well machined, comfortable in the hand, but heavy - and I bought an aluminum body, which is lighter than the brass and copper options. Very much a matter of personal preference, but I'm happy with mine! (I've been tempted to buy another, but the currency exchange rate puts it over my budget...)

I like copper and was thinking about that one but by the sounds of it that option would be too heavy. I might get a Bolt ballpoint in copper and choose something lighter for the fountain pen. I assume in terms of the fountain pen there are no leaks or scratchy nib issues?

I have an anodized aluminum Fountain K pen and love it. Later I got the copper Tactile Turns Gist, the heaviest fountain pens I've ever used. I do not find the weight any impediment to writing with it. As the pen is well cradled in my hand in the common manner, between my thumb and first two fingers, resting between my thumb and forefinger knuckles, and since my hand rests comfortably on the table top in the position I was taught 60 years ago, there are no muscles holding or supporting the pen, so the weight means nothing when I write. Both pens are meticulously machined, finished very well, and a joy to write with. The anodizing that Karas Kustoms does is beautiful, it was hard for me to select one color.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I have a copper Karas Kustoms Ink which i really like. It is my daily user along with a Sheaffer Imperial III. I also have the copper Tactile Turn Gist. I prefer the Karas Kustoms Ink even though it is significantly heavier than the Tactile Turn Gist. Similar to graystranger above, i do not find the weight an issue while writing. I have used it for long writing periods. The weight can be an issue in your shirt pocket.

I am considering buying a second Karas Kustoms soon. It would be an anodized aluminum Ink.

P.S. I bought direct from them and service was fast and good.

Edited by inkandseeds

OK, I was really torn about this pen. I got the brass Ink last year. I thought the Bock F nib was, and still is, the best darn writing nib I've used in a non-vintage pen. Bar none. I have been trying to recreate the experience ever since. However, I could not love the pen itself. I even know why. I loved the weight. I loved the design (really, really loved the design, actually), I loved how it felt in my hands, I loved the fact that it was a small American business.

But there were two things I just could not get over: The first is the amount of turning it takes to remove the cap. I really don't like twist caps, but I can live with them if it isn't a big deal to twist the. On the Karas, it was. Close to three full turns to remove. The other thing is I really couldn't post the cap. Drove me crazy. I always post.

Like I said, best writing experience ever for me. I'm hoping to find something just as good as that. But I know myself well. And I know that 3 months later, the irritations of that pen would cause me to put it away and never pick it up again. So I sent it back before that happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is bringing back an old thread, but I have a long history with Karas and wanted to share my experience.

I now own three of their INK fountain pens (looking to trade one soon for one of their Fountain Ks), a couple of Bolts, a Retrakt, and 2-3 Render Ks. As someone else mentioned, I too love the design. I love the minimalist, "honey-badger" look (hah!), but their machining is excellent and I've never seen anyone do aluminum anodizing better than them.

I share the same frustration about the extent of threading it takes to open/close and the inability to post the INK. Although it's not a deal breaker for me (obviously), I would love to have a version with acme threads on both ends. I don't see this happening anytime soon with their current designer, though.

I'll echo the writing experience of those above. I have both the Bock and Schmidt nibs in F and M. They are very smooth and stay wet for an extremely long time between uses (a benefit of all of those threads on the cap!). Soon I would like to upgrade to one of their titanium nibs, which they have said will provide an even smoother experience.

I also have brass and copper grip sections on all of the INKs I own. I am ordering an aluminum one this week to compare, but as it is, I enjoy the heft of the grip section and the feel of a more substantial metal between my fingers than aluminum.

As to the weight overall, I did have a full copper Bolt. It was a gorgeous pen and I love to see copper and brass patina like theirs do. It also was extraordinarily heavy. It was a pleasant experience writing. I really enjoyed it. However, I always carry my pens in my breast pocket and this was impossible to do with the copper Bolt. I eventually traded it for a knife I had wanted to try for some time.

Overall, I love the brand and follow them very closely. You could consider me a fanboy! In fact, I recently inquired about becoming a dealer myself in my stores, I like them so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Ink -- brown aluminum. It has always worked fine for me. I use ZXK (not sure) Honey ink in it, and it is wonderful.

I have 2 INKs and one K Pen. One of my INKs is 2nd Gen with a Titanium nib. I have both the brass and copper sections. The pens are heavier than the typical acrylic pen but not excessively heavy. The Bock nibs are very nice. I've had no problems with either model pen and Karas Kustoms has excellent customer service. I think their anodizing is the best in the business...flawless.

Mary

I have a solid black anodized aluminum Fountain K EF and just acquired an Olive Green Mini K in EF. The Bock nibs are the smoothest nibs out of the box -- even smoother than my Visconti Rembrandts. For the money, these are tremendously great values. The aluminum is almost indestructible. You can throw the pen in anything to haul around with you. The machining is top-quality. Because you can buy replaceable nib units at a very low cost, these pens are also good ones for tinkerers who like to adjust and modify their nibs. If you mess it up, it's only about $20 for another. Trying to come up with a good excuse to buy another!

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

• 1 month later...

I have an all copper INK with the Titanium nib. I really like this combo. It's massive and nothing flashy. However, I am not sure if it is the ink I use or not. I do have some hard start issues. I tried it with Sailor Segure (which is understandable), and now with PR DC Super Violet. It is slightly better but still go hard starts here and there.

The other complain may be the nib needs to dip in pretty far in to fill.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Fountain K pen on order in green with copper section and 1.1 nib. A Father's Day sale took $15 off. That ends soon.

I'm also interested in the Bolt, just not sure if I want the version that takes Parker style refills or G2 style refills. I'd get that one in brown.

Are those of you who have the Bolt happy with it? Which version did you get?

Posted Image

I'm also interested in the Bolt, just not sure if I want the version that takes Parker style refills or G2 style refills. I'd get that one in brown.

Are those of you who have the Bolt happy with it? Which version did you get?

I have the Bolt with Parker refills. I love the pen, it's about the right length, and G2 will be longer! But this version will use ONLY Parker type refills, which is fine with my Schmidt easyFlow preferences!

Thank you for replying to my question usk15. I was leaning towards the Parker refill style after reading the Epic Refill Guide at The Well Appointed Desk. The refills for Parker style listed appealed to me.

I hadn't researched enough to know the length difference. I appreciate your post.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I've been using my new Fountain K today. It's the same height as a Retro 51 fountain pen that is not an extended version. Mine is green, so aluminum, with a copper section and 1.1 mm nib. I'll use it unposted because I'd worry about the finish. I put Diamine Apple Glory ink in it.

Posted Image