Why Is Twsbi Pen Cost Double Than The Actual Price.?

Antriksh

Hello

I found twsbi pen is the most valuable piston filler in the entry level pen. I read many positive reviews about it and then I decide to buy it. But what I saw that pen is ridiculously high priced in India compare to the other country.

The eco model costs only 32$ in US and other countries but in India I have to buy it in ₹3900(59$). I search all the places in the India where I can buy it with more reasonable price but price was almost same every where.

This is a great pen but in India we have to pay huge amount for this and may be in this price this pen is just not as good value for money as the pilot metropolitan or lamy safari or faber-castell loom are.

I am disappointed with the TWSBI. I bought a twsbi eco in the price of twsbi 580AL.

Can somebody tell me the online websites which shipp the pen internationally with reasonable price?

Edited by Antriksh

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antriksh

• mehandiratta

• BCGGSM

• voltron

And please mention how much the custom charges I have to pay if I ordered a pen from overseas?

Edited by Antriksh

A pen of value 30$ may get through customs with out any charges since it is low valued but if customs assessing duty then it will be around 30-35 % on the bill. And you have to pay a minimum 10$ for shipping. That's nearly the price you buy from India. If you have someone overseas you can ask them to buy and bring them for you.

I usually order pens from The Writing Desk in UK & can vouch for their excellent customer service & knowledge about fountain pens. Shipping charges will be nominal if you choose the standard non-tracked delivery option. Since you are not from EU, VAT will get removed from your order once you choose "India" as destination. Please note that I have no association with them other than being a happy customer.

Smuggling and evading duties and taxes are part of my time-honored American history / tradition.

However, I would weigh the potential gain against the risk. I think you are exaggerating the difference of "final prices".. For a realistic gain of $20, what are the risks ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

This may explain some of it. There are fees, taxes, red tape, legalities, etc when it come to international economics from what Brian Goulet talks about in their Q&A series. This is their perspective as a company in fp retail but I imagine it's universally applicable in any country in one way or another.

Edited by Arkamas
...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Buy it from Ravi of Pens Point in Delhi he will be able to give you a better deal...

I got my eco from Fontoplumo via friend who was visiting Netherlands.. And it was easy..

You can order from him but you might have to pay shipping charges and you might have also have to pay customs..

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Even lamy safari is not a value for money deal in India.. It is being sold in excess of 2100 Indian rupees whereas in international market it is available for approx 1200 rupees

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

The only solution I can suggest is to find out if anyone who is planning on giving you a gift has any friends or relatives in one of the laces that has the pen you want at a lower price, and suggest to them that the gift they give you be that pen and suggest that their friend or relative could purchase it for them and mail it the gift from your friend to you. It would be quite bold to do this, but, if you really are expecting a gift and someone has asked you what you want, it could be helpful to all of you as you would get what you want and yhey could get you something they know you will value and they might just get it at a bargain price and you avoid getting something you don't want and the awkwardness of accepting an unwanted gift.

This worked for our family earlier this year when we asked the son of a friend of ours what he wanted as a present, a specific model of back pack and my wife located the item at a significantly lower price than what he could get it for in his country and even with postal costs the total was less than what it would have cost for us to have ordered it from a retailer in his country and have had it delivered. His sister did not respond with a request, but my wife had a good idea as far as what the daughter would like a certain luxury brand of purse and again located items here at a much lower cost than there, even with shipping.

Some sellers if you ask nicely will post a lower value on the customs form. It is naughty but I ask this as the VAT plus a hefty "handling charge" from Royal Mail really is nasty. Most Indian vendors have done this for me. It does not hurt to ask. Some get all moralistic and refuse but if the billionaires can fiddle their taxes a poor man might as well try too for a nominal amount.Or some kind soul here could order you one and send on as a gift perhaps.

I usually order pens from The Writing Desk in UK & can vouch for their excellent customer service & knowledge about fountain pens. Shipping charges will be nominal if you choose the standard non-tracked delivery option. Since you are not from EU, VAT will get removed from your order once you choose "India" as destination. Please note that I have no association with them other than being a happy customer.

Yeah they are good. And what about the custom charges we have to pay? What is your experience on it? Please share

Yeah they are good. And what about the custom charges we have to pay? What is your experience on it? Please share

I can vouch for The Writing Desk, I use them at least once a month - my internet bookmark for them just says "INK".

Please tell me about the custom charges on fountain pen. If I buy a twsbi eco which coasts 35$ including shipping charges then how much custom charges I have to pay on it when the pen will land to India?

Buy it from Ravi of Pens Point in Delhi he will be able to give you a better deal...

I got my eco from Fontoplumo via friend who was visiting Netherlands.. And it was easy..

You can order from him but you might have to pay shipping charges and you might have also have to pay customs..

Thank you for your time. I have contacted pens point and have some really good deals on inks and pens

Even lamy safari is not a value for money deal in India.. It is being sold in excess of 2100 Indian rupees whereas in international market it is available for approx 1200 rupees

Very true. India is one of the worst place for fountain pen lovers. First there are not many products available and We have to pay huge amounts of money for the available pens which cost almost half in the other parts of world.

I am not Indian so I have had no experience of dealing with Indian customs. Best would be to ask fellow Indians or call your local customs office for details. But having gone through few of the threads here, opinion of Indians varies a lot. Some even said that they have been fined because the value of the imports exceeded the allowed quota for what is allowed to an Individual in India without import license.

Edited by voltron

Very true. India is one of the worst place for fountain pen lovers. First there are not many products available and We have to pay huge amounts of money for the available pens which cost almost half in the other parts of world.

Sorry dude...

It is the best place to be in.. thankfully the fountain pen culture is still alive ...

we have a lot of boutique pen makers in India

1. Ranga (my Fav)
  2. Guider (my fav)
  3. Ratnam
  4. Ratnamson
  5. Gama
  6. ASA
  7. Deccan
  8. Kim
  9. Krishna
  10. Fosfor (My fav)

you must try these....