Parker Premier Deluxe Silver Tartan Fountain Pen Advice.

PandP

I have stumbled accross the Parker Premier Deluxe Silver Tartan foutain pen and I have to say it is love at first sight (as sad as that may sound). The nib is especially gorgeous. I hope I will be able to find a Fine nib though as Medium is not for me (produces quite a thick line). Anything I have to look out for or should I go ahead and get it?

post-131418-0-22270600-1487463662.png

Edited by PandP

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PandP

• Slimfish

• rh968

• A1979

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before you buy this pen with a Medium nib that you do not want - look at the cost of a replacement Fine nib.

What sort of money are you buying this pen for.

I am quessing at about £125 ( retail is £235 )

Do you have any idea of the cost of a replacement ?

You are not talking of a few quid.

After thought :

I once asked a wise man about nib widths.

He smiled alot and said ' There is not such thing - it depends on the paper & the ink you use and the angle you hold the pen '

An artist can make a pen sing any song if he knows how

Edited by Slimfish

Not to ignore your original question but have you considered a vintage Parker pen. My favorite is the Parker 75 that comes in a very beautiful sterling silver version with somewhat-similar grid lines. It is called the "cisele" and should not be hard to find in a fine nib.

http://ulugtekin.com/pen/Ulugtekin%20Parker/Rare/Parker_75_cisele_Flat_Top/Parker_75_cisele_6.JPG

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Before you buy this pen with a Medium nib that you do not want - look at the cost of a replacement Fine nib.

What sort of money are you buying this pen for.

I am quessing at about £125 ( retail is £235 )

Do you have any idea of the cost of a replacement ?

You are not talking of a few quid.

The cheapest I have found this pen for is £215 however wherever I have seen them, they only come with a Medium nib. Not quite sure why buyers arent offered the Fine version option as well. I have looked at the cost of replacing the nibs and it is £110 which I agree that it is very expensive. Can I ask, how long does a nib usually last? Assuming an average 1 A5 page per day of writing.

Not to ignore your original question but have you considered a vintage Parker pen. My favorite is the Parker 75 that comes in a very beautiful sterling silver version with somewhat-similar grid lines. It is called the "cisele" and should not be hard to find in a fine nib.

I have seen the Parker 75 and I agree that it is a lovely looking pen. However the nib doesnt do it for me. The reason I like the Premier is purely for its looks rather than for its brand.

PS: I have also checked the prices and a used one costs the same, if not more than the brand new one I am considering.

Edited by PandP

If you buy a new Premier with a M nib, Parker will exchange it for a F nib if you ask them - and that's free (except for P + P on your part, although the shop you bought from might do that for you). Hope this helps. The Premier is a nice pen - I have a couple and the nib is so smooth.

Anyone know how long would I expect the nib to last for?

Also, are the Parker nibs interchangeable? I.e. can I put a Sonnet nib in a Premier pen and vice versa?

Edited by PandP

Anyone know how long would I expect the nib to last for?

Also, are the Parker nibs interchangeable? I.e. can I put a Sonnet nib in a Premier pen and vice versa?

Barring catastrophic failure, dropping it, loaning to a child, etc, a nib should last the better part of a century.

Gorgeous pen. Last Week I ordered the Parker Premier "Monochrome Black" with an Extra Fine nib, since I was told that the even Fine is on the large side... Let's wait and see.

Hi PandP

Can you tell where you are considering buying this pen from.

I have searched the net for this exact model ( It is not a current Parker model ) and have had no luck

Not sure why you would wish to know how long a nib would last for.

My answer would be, if you look after it well, your life time ( You are buying at the very top end - the very best there is )

As for interchange nibs - why would you wish to do that.

Buy the right pen and you will never have to.

Just some thoughts...........

Gorgeous pen. Last Week I ordered the Parker Premier "Monochrome Black" with an Extra Fine nib, since I was told that the even Fine is on the large side... Let's wait and see.

A1979 thatnk you for the info abou the nib. I might have to go for an EF as well then. I woyld be grateful if you could post some thoughts on the pen once you get to use it.

Hi PandP

Can you tell where you are considering buying this pen from.

I have searched the net for this exact model ( It is not a current Parker model ) and have had no luck

Not sure why you would wish to know how long a nib would last for.

My answer would be, if you look after it well, your life time ( You are buying at the very top end - the very best there is )

As for interchange nibs - why would you wish to do that.

Buy the right pen and you will never have to.

Just some thoughts...........

The one I have found is on Pen Heaven website. It shows as in stock. Hope that helps.

The only reason i was asking abou the nib was because I thought I may need to replace the nib every so often. But I was mistaken by the sounds of it. I do look after my pens quite well so it sounds like I dont have to worry on that side.

I dont want to change the nibs often. Just need a pen with EF nib but the ones on sale oly seem to come with a M nib. However as I have found out, the good folks at Parker will change the nib for free.

A1979 thank you for the info abou the nib. I might have to go for an EF as well then. I would be grateful if you could post some thoughts on the pen once you get to use it

Of course. I just have to wait a couple of weeks (the pen is on back-order).

Hi again PandP

Never looked at the Pen Heaven web site before but I very rarely buy new current pens.

Just looked at your pen.

It is very special.

Parker pen engineering at it very best.

You will get the full 2 warranty with nib exchange ( they are approved dealers )

Frankly if that is what you have set your heart on - BUY IT....... never think twice ......life is too short

Please do let us all know when you get it and use it what you think of it.

Enjoy

I have just bought a Premier Silver Tartan Deluxe - black and silver. Gorgeous looking pen, but it was a dry writer and skipped. So last night I tried cleaning it with Herbin Fountain Pen Cleaner - 5 mins work and it now writes like a dream.

rh968,

I am abit stupid.

What does 'skipped' mean

Also interested in ' Herbin Fountain Pen Cleaner ' and why you use it.

Have cleaned pens ( Flush ) for the last 23 years - warm water works for me - Always

Edited by Slimfish

By skipped I mean that even though I am writing with the pen, the ink flow is not always there and nothing is coming out, and then, hey presto! it starts writing properly again. A minute or two later it stops and starts again. I have just started using the Herbin FP Cleaner - I've tried flushing with water and with some pens that's fine, but I've always had excellent results with the cleaner. It's lemon based and really seems to do a good job - apparently there are no harsh chemicals in it to damage a pen. Perhaps you have been luckier than me with your pens - even brand new expensive pens straight from the manufacturer often don't write right for me always. Why don't manufacturers bother with these basics? I'm sure that a bad experience (and I have had more than I care to remember) puts a new fp user off from using their pen, or else they return it to the store, and future sales are lost. It can take a lot of patience to get a fp to function at its best, and a lot of people never develop a love of pens because of these bad early experiences.

• 2 months later...

A1979 thank you for the info abou the nib. I might have to go for an EF as well then. I woyld be grateful if you could post some thoughts on the pen once you get to use it.

... I have been waiting for three months (!!) now... I have been told that Parker is behind schedule for their "special" nibs (EF, not a OBBBBBBBB). :(