Lamy 2000 50Th Anniversary Black Amber - Warning

kaisede

Hi,

I purchased the pen few days ago and love the way it looks and feel. However, I had major nib creep with my Akkerman #10 Iron Gail blue. Today morning when I uncap the pen ink was all over the front section of the pen. I used damped paper towels to wipe the front section, some ink came off but there was a lot of staining left. I than cleaned out the pen and used soft tooth brush and some none scent dish washing soap to try to remove the stain. It did not work. Finally I used household bleach and got 95% of it off. You can still some a little bit under the sun light.

I think it's the coating that reacted with the iron and make it hard to take out. Just thought some people might find this information useful.

Thanks,

Andy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kaisede

• ParkerDuofold

• JayInPA

• prashant.tikekar

I've got a standard Lamy 2000 inked with Bung Box Ink of the Witch and have all sorts of nib creep even though the pen is sitting straight up when not in use.

I've got a standard Lamy 2000 inked with Bung Box Ink of the Witch and have all sorts of nib creep even though the pen is sitting straight up when not in use.

I changed my ink to MB Blue - Black, which is pretty dry ink and so far no creep yet. My other Lamy 2000 I have Bay State blue and so far no nib creep.

I've been using Noodler's Q'ternity and have had good luck. No nib creep, no staining, just overall very well behaved.

You often have to use dryer inks in the 2K. I often find a wet section and inner cap; especially when you keep it in a shirt pocket and your body heat causes ink expansion... then your locomotion gets it sloshing around.

This video explains that principle:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I think the warning here is not so much the nibcreep, but the Black Amber reaction to Iron Gall inks.

I haven't heard this before. But Iron Gall inks are always high maintenance inks.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I think the warning here is not so much the nibcreep, but the Black Amber reaction to Iron Gall inks.

I haven't heard this before. But Iron Gall inks are always high maintenance inks.

D.ick

Yes that is correct. It is warning against Iron Gall.

The ring that I had to use bleach to get off now appears lighter than the rest of the pen.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a standard Lamy 2000 (F) inked with Bung Box 4B, and I haven't had any nib creep issues. Strange...

I haven't experienced nib creep with my morkolon F l2k. The inks used were Waterman serenity blue, Sheaffer skrip blue black, Diamine saffire blue, Lamy Blue, Lamy Blue-black etc. But I must say I will never dare to fill my L2k with iron gall ink.

Hi all,

I have the makrolon version; I've NEVER used IG inks, nor do I want to... and I have a wet section and inner cap most of the time.

In fact, I've found it helpful to keep a box of Kleenex on my desk just so I can wipe off the section and then I roll it into a tube shape to swab out the inner cap.

The only inks I've used in it are Lamy black, Lamy Blue or Diamine Asa Blue... and they've all done it.

Maybe I should send it in to Lamy. :huh:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I don't think I'm going to have anything new to saw here but my 2000 has had creep since day one. Any ink I use has the same effect, though the Monteverde Burgundy is a tad less.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

My 1990's vintage 2000(macrolon) has never suffered nib creep with any ink I've used: Mont Blanc BB, Aurora black, Diamine Eclipse, etc.

Your produce alone was worth the trip...

I don't think I'm going to have anything new to saw here but my 2000 has had creep since day one. Any ink I use has the same effect, though the Monteverde Burgundy is a tad less.

I believe that... Monteverde Burgundy is a very dry ink... so is their original blue-black.

- Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

There's a reason why iron gall inks fell out of favor with fountain pen use:

Traditional iron gall inks intended for dip pens are not suitable for fountain pens that operate on the principle of capillary action. Ferrogallic deposit accumulation in the feed system can clog the small ink passages in fountain pen feeds. Further, very acidic traditional iron gall inks intended for dip pens can corrode metal pen parts (a phenomenon known as redox reaction/flash corrosion). These phenomena can destroy the functionality of fountain pens.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I would never use an IG ink in any of my pens. Not even my cheap ones. :mellow: There are plenty of non-IG inks available for me to use. :)

Hi,

I purchased the pen few days ago and love the way it looks and feel. However, I had major nib creep with my Akkerman #10 Iron Gail blue. Today morning when I uncap the pen ink was all over the front section of the pen. I used damped paper towels to wipe the front section, some ink came off but there was a lot of staining left. I than cleaned out the pen and used soft tooth brush and some none scent dish washing soap to try to remove the stain. It did not work. Finally I used household bleach and got 95% of it off. You can still some a little bit under the sun light.

I think it's the coating that reacted with the iron and make it hard to take out. Just thought some people might find this information useful.

Thanks,

Andy

I have a Lamy 2k Black Amber, i don't have a creep issue but i do have an issue with finger sweat reacting with the material. Love the pen and feel but its getting finger prints burning into the metal. I cannot fix this with soap water etc, just have to be careful wiping it down before putting in my pocket. Also, i have some marks I cannot now fix.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd:

• 2 months later...

I have a Lamy 2k Black Amber, i don't have a creep issue but i do have an issue with finger sweat reacting with the material. Love the pen and feel but its getting finger prints burning into the metal. I cannot fix this with soap water etc, just have to be careful wiping it down before putting in my pocket. Also, i have some marks I cannot now fix.

Okay after a while of using this pen i really don't recommend it to people. Mine has little spots now where my sweat has reacted with the coating. this pen is my most expensive pen and the biggest fail. You can see them for much cheaper now.... don't get one ))

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd:

Okay after a while of using this pen i really don't recommend it to people. Mine has little spots now where my sweat has reacted with the coating. this pen is my most expensive pen and the biggest fail. You can see them for much cheaper now.... don't get one ))

Looking at the price you paid for the pen and fact that it is a special edition, Lamy should send you a replacement or at least repair / re-coat your pen.

Looking at the price you paid for the pen and fact that it is a special edition, Lamy should send you a replacement or at least repair / re-coat your pen.

That's absolutely right. In my experience, Lamy has done a very nice job of standing behind their pens. Send it in to them and they should make it right.

That's absolutely right. In my experience, Lamy has done a very nice job of standing behind their pens. Send it in to them and they should make it right.

+1