Pelikan M805 Anthracite Stresemann (2015)

visvamitra

Thanks for the review. M800s are too large for me, but I'm starting the piggyback savings/Christmas fund for an M405 Stresemann.

But yeah, both of the M200 Café Crèmes I had needed nib work because of skipping issues -- once that was done they were fabulous pens (both had B nibs, once I got done with them -- the second one started with an italic medium which was a firehose even by Pelikan standards and that had to be tweaked as well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Ghost Plane

• Trom

• guyinkits

It's very helpful in a review to read what doesn't work for the writer. I know what makes this pen appealing to me but tidbits about a short section are invaluable. The deeper I get into this obsession, the more I learn about what doesn't work me. I'm just not always sure WHY something doesn't work. Reading about the negatives in a non-confrontational review is FANTASTIC. Thank you for this!

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the review.

I hope the one I have coming ( used) will have a nib ( F) that will be a daily for me. I love the look of the pen in green and waited a long time to get one.

I have one and is my daily writer. Feels much better in hand than my M600, which I use capped. The fine nib on the M805 is a little bit more than fine, but not a big deal and I have no skipping or hard starts with the nib. It sure is my most beautiful and severe pen.

I appreciate this review much. I have the M1000 with a Medium nib and find the line anything but boring. I would call it decadent. But I understand most everything about the M1000 writing experience is different than the M800/M805. I enjoy my M1000 for wild, creative writing episodes but would be challenged using it for long serious sessions. I've been considering the M800/M805 for some time but understand the experience has some similarities to the Pilot 823, which I have. The 823 is a long pen, the section is longer than the M805 and overall it is ergonomically comfortable, but it is a relatively boring looking pen and has a boring but bulletproof line. The M805 I think is very attractive looking. This review is allowing me to put my M805 purchase decision on the back burner again.

I did have to spring for the M120 Iconic Blue recently because I find that color irresistible and I current have no smaller sized 'pocket pen'. But the purpose of that pen in my collection is very different than would be the M805.

• 4 months later...

I realise I am joining this thread a little late in the day.

IMHO, this is one of the best 800s and I currently own over ten Pelikans of that size. MIne is a fine nib version and it writes wonderfully. I love the restrained, classy elegance of the grey and black- the perfect pen for meetings when a more flashy pen would attract unwanted interest.

I have no issues with the weight and threads. For me it is one of the best Pelikans ever produced and I only regret they have not made it part of their permanent collection.

I would recommend this edition of the 800s without hesitation.

I have about 15 Pelikans. Only four are modern. The rest are vintage. Each of the modern ones were perfect out of the box. However, I don’t care for round nibs, so each one is now italic, modified by Pendleton Brown. I have some superb pens, a Nakaya, an Omas, a Pilot 823, Sailors, yet my M600 medium italic is the one I carry every day. My M800 medium italic has been carried the second most. Unfortunately, the M800 is a little heavy. I prefer lighter pens. My M600 broad italic is also outstanding. At the office I generally write quickly. This wet broad italic is better suited to a slower pace. But, it is wonderful nonetheless. My vintage Pelikans are terrific after 60 - 70 years of use. I have to think QC issues that may exist are more likely dealer related, not manufacturer. Sorry for your poor experience. Hope you have a better luck in the future.

I enjoy reading reviews that not only share the good and very good aspects of a product but also the bad side.

Any product cannot be 100% good and it is good to know what makes it less than 100%.

Thank you for the honesty. Personally, I quite enjoy my m800 med though I don't have much reason to use it often enough. It is broad and wet, its line easily rivals broad or bb nibs, depending on ink and paper.

As always, buy pens from sellers with good exchange/refund policy so that one doesn't have to live with regrets.

My hand naturally finds its way to the threads when I write, I guess somehow the section is slightly shorter than my hand likes in proportion to the rather big and long nib. And my hand seems to enjoy the balance at the threads better.