Pelikan M805 Anthracite Stresemann (2015)

visvamitra

I almost bought this pen when it was introduced on the market some time ago. While I don’t consider myself Pelikan fan, I think this particular finish looks stunning and it was tempting me a lot. But then Omas Ogiva Alba happened and my plesure budget decreased significantly. Sure, I could still afford some Jinhaos but definitely not Pelikan M805

Anyway the temptation didn’t fade. Every time I looked at the photos I felt I really wanted to get this pen. In December I received information from one of retailers that he has one with medium nib and we can proceed id I’m still interested. I was but before I sent him money I received a package of pens to try from VodnikVolsovecek and there was Pelikan M805 Stressman there. I’m grateful for this loan as it saved me a lot of money.

Pelikan M805 wasn’t made for me.

I still think it’s nicest Pelikan finish – sadly the section shape and length make this pen almost unusable for me. First things first though.

stressman_capped.jpg?w=940

stressman_posted.jpg?w=940

stressman_uncapped.jpg?w=940

The anthracite Stresemann stripes on the barrel succeed at giving this pen simple and elegant look. They aren’t as bright and vibrant as one might expect having experience with other M800/M805 series pens. At right angle though, they do look stunning. Add to this the fact that I’m permanently looking for a perfect shade of grey and you’ll understand that pearlescent grey pen that, depending on the light conditions, show a multitude of different shades of grey will make me drool. If you like to know such things – the barrel is made of cellulose acetate and the black parts are derived from resin.

The 805 has silver-plated hardware (as opposed to the 800 series, which has gold-plated fittings), and a semi-transparent barrel. The pen feels solidly built and choice of materials is great. This pen is well-engineered and well built BUT it’s not perfect. I was surprised to see there are some abrasions on the stripes where the cap meets the barrel. I would expect this pen to be flawless but, evidently, it isn’t as well designed as I expected OR quality control team didn’t check this particular pen.

stressman_d.jpg?w=940

stressmann_stripes.jpg?w=940

stressman_stripes1.jpg?w=940

stresmann_cap.jpg?w=940

stressman_section.jpg?w=940

This I could forgive but there’s another issue I have with this pen. Section. I find it uncomfortable – too chunky and too short. I wholeheartedly dislike this section and, for me, it’s a deal breaker.

Nib

stressman_nib.jpg?w=940

stressman_nib2.jpg?w=940

Writing sample: Diamine Crimson on copy paper. The quote comes from great geopolitical fantasy book" "The Traitor Baru Cormorant" written by Seth Dickinson.

crimson.jpg?w=940

The pen I was loaned has fine nib and it’s rather disappointing. There’s some ink starvation issue – I’ve tried few inks in the pen and there was problem of hrd starts with each of them. The line is fine and flat. The line is flat and boring. The only positive is the look of the nib. Apart from that I wouldn’t say it’s writing experience I would expect from 400 $ fountain pen. The nib is reasonably wet and rather smooth but so is my Jinhao 159 nib. I guess this may be due to some inconsistencies in Pelikan offerings and quality control questions that are raised from time to time in the community.All in all I find this nib disappointing.

Filling system

stressman_knob.jpg?w=940

The piston-filling mechanism of Pelikan fountain pens is famous. Not without a reason. It works smoothly, and the pen can hold a generous amount of ink (1,4 ml) inside its body. The piston provides a near full fill with a single stroke and it secures snugly to the back of the barrel.

Summary

I still hope one day I’ll find Pelikan that will be enjoyable. I really like the way they look. Sadly I really dislike the way Pelikans feel in the hand. M2XX seires pens are too light and too small for me, M6xx and M8xx were given the section that I find uncomfortable in the hand. It seems like my hands must have some strange design, as most people say Pelikan pens are ergonomic and comfortable.

Not for me guys.

I’m glad I haven’t bought this pen.

If you have experience with Pelikans and find them comfortable M805 Stressman will be great addition to your collection. I think this pen is stunning. Sadly I also find it uncomfortable.

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Ghost Plane

• Trom

• guyinkits

So what? Where is the problem? If you don't like , you don't buy it , OK.?

Who said there is a problem? He is just describing his experience. Do you have a problem with that?

This is exactly why I have a small collection of M1000s with specialty nibs. This length and section didn't work for me, either and the nibs felt hard as nails. Love the size of the M1000 and the softer nibs with increased flow simply do it for me.

I'm having the same issue with the size of the M805 as you, Vis, which is too bad, because I love the Streseman finish. Also agree about the nib. Oh, and The Traitor Baru Cormorant is one of my favorite books of the past couple of years!

@TassoBarbasso - I do agree. There's not enough negative reviews in blogosphere. It would mean that everyone is happy with everything or that some poeple have problem with expressing negative feelings :)

@Trom - yes, I'm happy I had a chance to try this pen. It would be an expensive mistake.

@Sergio - there's no problem :) I just share my opinion. I firmly believe that the more opinions we have on product, the better it is for those who are about to make a purchase.

@Trom - thank you :)

@Ghost Plane - I'm afraid M1000 would be definitely too big to me. Which is strange as I actually love huge Omases and Viscontis. Somehow though they feel different and mych better in the hand. It's the shape of Pelikans section that drives me mad.

@gylyf - it's great book indeed. There will be sequel in 2018. I can't wait :)

Edited by visvamitra

I absolutely love the way this pen looks (I've always been a fan of pinstripe), but I think Pelikan is overpriced for what you get. Otherwise I'd own a few. :(

Thanks for taking the time to review a pen you didn't care for - just as useful from a reader's point of view.

It is funny with fountain pens, how a few millimetres here or there can make such a big difference to personal experience? I have likewise discovered that my hand typically finds a short section uncomfortable.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Well, there was a reason why I suggested you to wait with the purchase until you will get this pen in your hands. It's considerably different from what you are used to like :)

While I'm rather more into the collecting than art of writing and have no specific negative feelings about this pen, I found none of modern M-series pens that went through my hands as exceptionally good writers. I would fully explain that in the terms of personal preferences rather than quality problems.

Flat and boring, I somehow agree.

Nevertheless, the Streseman, since its release, was a sure must-have for me. The standard versions of M800/M805 seem already a bit obsolete to me, so I find buying a vintage model more reasonable. This particular finish is not only my favorite colour combination, but I found it exceptionally elegant in a modern way. Therefore, I love this pen, despite the hard course of Gustav Stresemann's politics towards the eastern countries makes his Peace Nobel Prize quite controversial in Poland :)

For those who have very little experience with M800 series pens, I will share my most positive one. Although the pen is quite light, it seems very solid and well build, and the piston mechanism - according to my knowledge, built from the brass parts, unlike in the smaller models - is very smooth and leaves nice impression of quality, better than in the case of its German competitor, MB 146. On the other hand, the barrel gets easily scratched by the cap, as you can see in the 6th photo of Vis.

The RSRP both in Europe and the US is a bit high, however, from time to time, brand new pieces without the gift box appear or German Amazon for around 300 EUR. I was a bit too impatient to enjoy such a discount, but I would advise the potential buyers to monitor the market.

Edited by VodnikVolsovecek

It may be worth to have a look at my classifieds :)

Currently this pen is my daily writer. I have a different opinion and to each his/her own. I love this pen. I have this in an EF nib and the pen itself is a perfect size for me so I personally have no issues with the section size. It is just a perfect balance of style and subtlety for the office. It writes smooth with just a touch of feedback which is how I like it. My only gripe is that the EF nib is closer to a medium.

Actually, it's not that big. I mean it's practically the size of Lamy Al-Star. I have bigger pens and I like them a lot. This section however just can't fit in my hand, I'm glad though you enjoy this pen. I wish I could - the finish is stunning :)

I personally own A M805 Stresemann and I love it.

The Striping is elegant, stately, and simply stated a joy to just look at and absorb.

I have a Fine nib, which is smooth as silk, no hard starts, no skips, and an absolute joy to wrote with.

The section fits my hands perfectly...and it is very well balanced.

The Piston fill is very smooth, and one of the best on the market.

I really love the FP....it is one of my favorite Pelikan's.

Bill P

I solve the section problem by holding mine behind it as I do so many pens. But that's my own foible and I'm not advocating anyone else do it.

Thank you for the review. I really wanted this pen but after going to the shop and holding it in my hands , I didn't get the 'this is the one's feeling. Just goes to show how deceiving photos online can be.

I have a m600 and m1000, the latter with a binderized medium italic with added flex that I'm trying to get rid off or swap away. Oddly enough the m800 just doesn't feel like a size in between the both pens...

The nib doesn't have ink starvation it has baby's bottom. I've never seen a Pelikan with ink starvation but a ton of them have baby's bottom.

I ordered two Pelikans, the M805 Stresemann and a M400 White Tortoise. The M805 had some issues with hard starts on certain upstrokes. It was actually pretty annoying for an expensive pen (expensive for me anyways). The M400 didn't have as much of this issue. Anyways, over time, it sort of corrected itself and happens much less. Did I adapt my writing angle or was it something that happens with the pen over time? Anyways, just something to consider for those thinking of purchasing. I don't have much other experience with other Pelikans.

It's a shame there are repetitive issues with Pelikan nibs. I know that some people receive them perfect out of box but U must be unlucky or the Universe just wants to tell me boldly that Pelikans weren't ment to me. Out of four M200 I had bought in the past (and reselled shortly after) only one wrote well out of the box. Pelikan M405 that I bought (fantastic look) was terrible. I had to exchange nibs three times (!) before I received one that actually performed well. M805 Anthracite has ink starvation issues that are irritating me.

I really do like the way some Pelikan models look like and I do know that a lot of people are happy with their nibs. My experience with Pelikans would suggest that they have worse quality control than Jinhao. I know this is not the case. However only one of twenty few Jinhaos I bought had bad nib. Out of 9 Pelikans I bought only two were writing well out of the box. At the moment I gave only M205 Blue Marbled one that's fine writer,