Penbbs No. 152 Violet Ink Review

truthpil

Penbbs No.152 Mix Set Violet

Penbbs is a Chinese online fountain pen community similar to FPN.
They not only talk about inks but also produce their own inks every year. Each series consists of ten to fifteen inks and 2017 marks the release of Penbbs’ fifteenth ink series. Due to Chinese postal restrictions, these inks are virtually impossible to obtain outside of China. Within China they are extremely affordable (21 RMB or about US$3 per 60ml bottle) and can easily be purchased through the Chinese online shopping giant Taobao.

This ink up for review is from Penbbs’ twelfth series. It is one of seven “Mix Set” inks in this series that are designed to “mix to create miracle.” The color is true to its name, giving a nice deep violet. This ink is rich and deeply saturated with virtually no shading. It’s a beautiful vibrant hue that I enjoy seeing on the page.

Judging purely from scans in other reviews, I have a feeling that Penbbs No. 152 may be a good contender for a Lamy Dark Lilac substitute. [bTW, If anyone is interested in selling me their bottle of that precious elixir please let me know!! :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: ] It also seems to be darker and more saturated than Pelikan 4001 Violet, but I don’t have any on hand to compare.

No. 152 also has some great writing properties. There is a little feathering and bleed through on copy paper and Moleskine, but it isn’t significant. This ink also dries quickly and has good water resistance. When exposed to water the red component will lift, but the remaining dark purple line is still very legible.

This is the first of the Penbbs inks I’ve reviewed so far that has actually impressed me. It’s a nice color that behaves well and is a joy to write with. If you like purples/violets and are able to get a bottle of this, you won’t be disappointed!

Pens used (in order):

1. Pilot 78G Fine

2. Lamy Safari Broad

3. Pilot Plumix Italic

4. Noodler’s Nib Creaper Flex

5. Hero 5028 1.9mm Stub

Swab

fpn_1487382648__penbbs_152_01_compressed

Paper Towel Drop

fpn_1487382715__penbbs_152_02_compressed

80gsm Rhodia

fpn_1487382751__penbbs_152_03_compressed

fpn_1487382789__penbbs_152_04_compressed

fpn_1487382823__penbbs_152_05_compressed

73gsm Chinese Tomoe River Wannabe (brand unknown)

fpn_1487383059__penbbs_152_06_compressed

fpn_1487383094__penbbs_152_07_compressed

fpn_1487383124__penbbs_152_08_compressed

70gms Deli Copy Paper

fpn_1487383150__penbbs_152_09_compressed

fpn_1487383196__penbbs_152_10_compressed

fpn_1487383254__penbbs_152_11_compressed

Moleskine

fpn_1487383280__penbbs_152_12_compressed

fpn_1487383311__penbbs_152_13_compressed

fpn_1487383349__penbbs_152_14_compressed

fpn_1487383394__penbbs_152_15_compressed

Water Resistance

fpn_1487383443__penbbs_152_16_compressed

fpn_1487383469__penbbs_152_17_compressed

Comparison

fpn_1487383497__penbbs_152_18_compressed

Here is Penbbs’ image of the bottle and label for reference:

fpn_1487383525__penbbs_152_19.jpg

SDG

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• amberleadavis

• mehandiratta

• visvamitra

Same here. I prefer bold purples.

The photos actually turned out a lighter than the ink actually looks in person. The comparison photo is about spot on color-wise.

Edited by TruthPil

Another great review. I do like that the ink has some water resistance. Thank you for sharing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My cartridges of Lamy Dark Lilac and Pelikan 4001 Violet finally arrived (and amazingly none of them exploded in the freezing temperatures here), so I'll add a new and improved comparison that includes those inks soon. :D

Here's an updated comparison that includes Pelikan 4001 Violet and Lamy Dark Lilac.

In a pinch, I think you could consider Penbbs 152 as a suitable substitute for Dark Lilac. :)

It doesn't shade as much, but I think it would work.

fpn_1488356124__penbbs_purples_compariso