How About A Thread On A Grail Pen? Parker Duofold Mandarin Yellow

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

Going through Parker pics to post, I thought I would post one of the Grail pens, the Parker Duofold Mandarin Yellow c1928-1929, accompanied by the matching pencil.
I'd be interested in seeing as many of the variations of this pen as the community has, including the various versions, pencils, and ads. I'll post some of mine also.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldMandarin_1280_02.jpg
For those not familiar, Mandarin Yellow, introduced in 1927, was the fifth color introduced on the Duofold after Chinese Lacquer Red, Black, Jade Green, and Lapis Lazuli. George Parker got the inspiration for the Mandarin Yellow color from a Cloisonné vase he purchased in Japan. The color, first called Imperial Yellow, was introduced in April, 1927, on a single wide cap band Duofold made of Permanite plastic, selling for $7.00 retail. The 1927 Parker Catalog calls the new color "Chinese Yellow." In 1928 Parker changed the cap design to two narrow cap bands. The 1929 Parker Catalog calls the color "Imperial Mandarin Yellow," though Parker advertisements use the shorter Mandarin Yellow name. These pens are prized by collectors and command high prices. The plastic is prone to cracking, especially at the cap lip. As with all early Duofolds, the pencils are not as prone to discoloration and are good measures of the original color.
You can read more about this pen here:
Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• Brian-McQueen

• Flippy

Fantastic mandarin yellow pens. Unfortunately, I don't have one. But I am content with my flat top big red single cap band senior and three cap band flat top big red SPECIAL.

Khan M. Ilyas

Jim, here's one you'll really like. I just got it a couple weeks ago. A stickered, dead mint, never-seen-ink Streamlined Junior.

Wow! Fabulous color!! Thanks!

I actually own this one. It was a fluke eBay auction where I was the only bidder and the photo was so bad I did not know what I was getting. Pretty heavy plating loss and some discoloration and hairlines, but it cleaned up nicely.

http://www.penhero.com/365_2010/ParkerDuofoldMandarin80001.jpg

After posting the Parker Duofold Mandarin Yellow pics above, I remembered that I have photos of the first revivial of that color as the Parker Duofold Mandarin Yellow 1995 Limited Edition. I think Parker did a great job with this pen, using the more streamlined version of the modern Duofold as the base.

http://penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldMandarinLE_1280.jpg
The pen was not a replica of a particular Duofold, but calls out many of the best features of several models. The overall shape resembles the later streamline Duofolds introduced in 1929. The original use of three gold filled cap bands can be found on the 1927 Duofold Mandarin Lady and Juniorette, though they are 18 karat on this pen. The 18 karat Arrow nib draws its design from the nib introduced in 1933 on the Parker Vacumatic but is found on some vintage Duofolds as replacements or late production pens from the 1930s. The barrel is stamped with a similar imprint to the earliest Big Red Duofolds with the Duofold name in very large capitals. The edition number of 10,000 pieces appears in the imprint banner, which would otherwise have said Lucky Curve on a vintage Duofold. The edition number also appears on the cap top.
Parker only made medium nibs for these pens, but they are great writers.
Thanks!