Hitchcock Or Moon Pearl?

Which of the two do you like more and why? Alfred Hitchcock or the Moon Pearl.

Edited by 888007888

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Pravda

• da vinci

Definitely hitchcock those details in the pen. just wow!

And the moonpearl is a more recent release so you can still get it after a while.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

That is an incredibly difficult choice.

The moon pearl that I handled was a very impressive pen indeed, but I think the finish and clip of the Hitchcock win the contest for me :)

So far it's split 50/50. Wow. Who knew it would be such a difficult choice? 😳 As evident herein, I'm at a crossroads. Any other votes out there? Please chime in. ✒️📝

Edited by 888007888

Want to add one more thing. have you hold them both in your hands?

The hitchcock has a pattern you can feel and it easily can hold up dirt in the structure.

So if you like a clean looking and smooth to hold pen, the Moon pearl is the better choice.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

Want to add one more thing. have you hold them both in your hands?

The hitchcock has a pattern you can feel and it easily can hold up dirt in the structure.

So if you like a clean looking and smooth to hold pen, the Moon pearl is the better choice.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the tip. I thought the Hitchcock was smooth guilloché. I'll stop by my boutique today and try them side by side.

Edited by 888007888

In case my vote above seemed left swaying, I'm back to affirm my preference for the Moon Pearl :)

That being said, for that price range may I also suggest a 75th Anniversary 149 (gorgeous) or Hemingway or an Agatha in vermeil or a Tsar Nikolai?

Edited by Pravda

In case my vote above seemed left swaying, I'm back to affirm my preference for the Moon Pearl :)

😁😂

The pens are very different aesthetically. The Hitchcock is very tactile, detail oriented, and intricate. It is heavy for the size and, as noted, will tarnish. The Moon Pearl is beautiful in its simplicity, but the metal grip feels out of character with the rest of the pen's design. The pen is also larger in the hand uncapped than the Hitchcock (from my memory anyhow). That makes it more comfortable for me, but it also makes me really wish the pen had a #9 nib as the rest of the body is much closer to 149 than 146. The Moon Pearl also comes with a very usable wooden pen stand that can sit nicely on a desk, far more usable than most MB pen packaging that come with LE pens.

New from MB the Hitchcock will be quite a bit more expensive as the list is higher. Something like $3,800 vs $2,800. (I may be wrong on my price recollections as it was a while ago I shopped both pens.)

The Hitchcock was a mixed bad for a lot of folks here. It is not one of the more popular Great Cahracter pens, but it is my favorite. People who bought the Moon Pearl have not been terribly vocal here on FPN so not as many comments.

Finally, I will end by saying I own the Hitchcock. The details were too neat for me to pass up. The design is more interesting than a lot of other modern MB pens. The Moon Pearl is moer in line with what I would typically buy and also why I felt less compelled to get one new - I have lots of pens with raden and lots of wood pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

That being said, for that price range may I also suggest a 75th Anniversary 149 (gorgeous) or Hemingway or an Agatha in vermeil or a Tsar Nikolai?

To me the best part fo the 75th 149 is the MOP snow cap. Right now, you can get a 149 from Tom at Penboard.de with a limited prototype MOP star for around the price of a new 149 and much less than the 75th anniversary pen. I do like the 75th pens, but the price went a little nutso a few years ago.

The Hemi is also wonderful, as are the Nikolai and Ramses pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

fpn_1487354567__img_1210.jpg

I have both the pens. At first the design of Hitchcock is more interesting and unique to me, however I prefer to MOP for the shine of the black pearl. I also have some raden pens made by Pelikan and Japanese makers but none is like the black pearl by Montblanc. In addition, I think MOP is more balanced than Hitchcock.

To me the best part fo the 75th 149 is the MOP snow cap. Right now, you can get a 149 from Tom at Penboard.de with a limited prototype MOP star for around the price of a new 149 and much less than the 75th anniversary pen. I do like the 75th pens, but the price went a little nutso a few years ago.

The Hemi is also wonderful, as are the Nikolai and Ramses pens.

Zaddick... Thanks for the info on the MoP 149. I messaged Tom on the penboard.de and he got back to me right away. Turns out he is here in California at the LA Pen show. He did say he is usually in Italy or Germany most of the time and this was only his 2 show in the United States. I saw him a few minutes ago and picked up the MoP 149!!! What a find. Thank you. Edited by 888007888